allan holdsworth tone

Anyone got a functional patch that can be imported with axe edit. the patches before in this threat don´t work with the import of axe edit.

here you go

i havn't looked at these for a while, so i don't know how good my versions are (i'm using a different preset myself, which i've spent more time tweaking). magoga's is pretty great though (lead 1)

i found i could improve the sponginess and bloom by reducing the B+cap in the advanced params.
lowering the damp will give you a more compressed sound which is easier to play, but has less dynamics. push up the sag for more bloom too.

sim

nice presets...

a few years ago i made this vid... a holdsworth style jam.

i used a pod xt live straight to soundcard. and the ibanez had a dimarzio virtual vintage on the bridge(really low gain pickup, allan use this kind of pickup)

i've been trying to get the sixteen men of tain lead sound for a few days with the ultra... not getting anywere close yet, but i'll keep trying!

Thanks for the presets!

@andyvicius
Very nice tone and playing. I've been searching for that tone in the axe-fx with no luck yet. Should you have a breakthrough please share and I'll do the same.

did you roll off the guitar volume a touch and the tone control a bit?

i don't hear noise or fartiness though...

what pickup are you using? what's the guitar body made of?

sim

Yeah maybe I need to experiment some more with the guitar knobs...
Well..its a $120 yamaha with a ibanez pickup in the bridge, so it could be just the guitar that sounds farty..
any more tips on tweaking the patch?
Thanks!!!

Yeah maybe I need to experiment some more with the guitar knobs...
Well..its a $120 yamaha with a ibanez pickup in the bridge, so it could be just the guitar that sounds farty..
any more tips on tweaking the patch?
Thanks!!!

well, the patches are ok. the weak point is your guitar and your pickup. use your ears. drop the volume and tone on the guitar a bit and then if you need to compensate for any rogue frequencies, tweak the peq that's in the patch. also don't forget that on their own, these tones can sound very middly and even a bit honky, but they really make sense when in context.

The patches are good. Even the honky thing is cool. The tone is in the ballpark and can be made to resemble Holdsworth by playing like him. The problem is that the tones from the Axe when attempting this tone sound like a kazoo whereas Holdsworth's tone has a more hornlike sound. I'm not giving up yet though :)

The patches are good. Even the honky thing is cool. The tone is in the ballpark and can be made to resemble Holdsworth by playing like him. The problem is that the tones from the Axe when attempting this tone sound like a kazoo whereas Holdsworth's tone has a more hornlike sound. I'm not giving up yet though :)

which holdsworth sound, though? it's different on almost every album!

Last edited:
i'm actually trying as we speak, but i get bad checksum when trying to download/upload patches...anyone got ideas?

simeon, i did not! will do as soon as i get axe-edit problem sorted :)

Back
Top Bottom