Zorran - Ambient Metal Song : Uberschall + Ownhammer Impulse

Zorran

hello everyone,

just wrote this song a cupla days back and finished the mix today. i was away in the us of a on vacation for a couple of months, and didnt touch a guitar. then when i got back home to my axe fx and beloved prs swamp ash special with bareknuckles, it all came flowing out. this is only one developed idea out of a few i wrote in the space of an evening!

i think the big thing here is the ownhammer impulses.. they are clear as a bell and are beating out redwirez for me at the moment for metal. its got that bright modern top end that is all the rage. i chose the mesa 1 cab because of the pronounced upper mid content.

also i went through a few amp models, started off with the mark iv, then onto the fas modern, and then settled on the uberschall as it left alot of space in the mix for other instruments but still was as brutal.

also im using slate trigger for kick and snare, which i absolutely love. im finally about happy with my results :)

any feedback and/or criticism from you guys would be much appreciated!

http://soundcloud.com/zorran/zorran-fate-or-life

cheers,
zorran

Re: Zorran - Ambient Metal Song : Uberschall + Ownhammer Imp

Really good sounding. Gotta look into the impulses. Thanks - Shep

Great! I dig your riffs and harmonies.
Sound is a bit messy and cloudy on high mid, but emotional. Will listen it again.

Definitely great ! Love your way of composing ,combining aerial, groovy and damn heavy.
Pretty nice & clean, great playing !

Your mix sounds is very good to my ears, definitely something I'd like to aim to !
If you have any advice for me, I'd be more than happy !

For instance :
- rythm guitars panned hard L&R ? doubled on each side ?
- Did you EQd and used compressor, as effects in your DAW ?

Talking about your AxeFX patch : Uberschall + Ownhammer :
Can you give some ideas of your Uber settings ?

Thanks in advance : :twisted:

and by the way, which Bare Knuckles do you have on your guitar ? Painkiller ? Warpig ?
I'm considering buying some for some time to fit on my ESP Eclipse II to replace my EMGs 81/85.

hey niko,

i have the cold sweats in my guitar. they are a great pickup but i would look into the new aftermath pickup of bareknuckle. its meant for higher gain etc yet its a medium output.

regarding your questions.. ill try my best to answer :)

rhythym guitars.. yes hard left and right..and i even used a stereo expander to make it wider. in the DAW i used an eq and then the widener. no compression. i generally dont compress distorted guitars as they pretty much have no dynamics. unless i use multiband of course but i didnt in this case.

regarding the uber patch.. it is fairly tweaked. it has the following
- a ts808 in front with drive on 0, tone around 7.5 and level at 7.
- uber with drive around 5, bass at 7, mids at 4, treble on 6, bright switch on, presence on 5, master on 6. also my damp is on 8 and sag around 2. also i make the bias quite hot.
- then there are 3 ownhamer cabs.. all the same cab but different mics
- then there are 3 para eqs and a graphic eq.

so yes, alot of tweaking but well worth it :)

Zorran said:
hey niko,
i have the cold sweats in my guitar. they are a great pickup but i would look into the new aftermath pickup of bareknuckle. its meant for higher gain etc yet its a medium output.

Mmm I was also considering this one :twisted:
Sounds like I may spend some more monet soon !

Zorran said:
regarding your questions.. ill try my best to answer :)
rhythym guitars.. yes hard left and right..and i even used a stereo expander to make it wider. in the DAW i used an eq and then the widener. no compression. i generally dont compress distorted guitars as they pretty much have no dynamics. unless i use multiband of course but i didnt in this case.

Good advices ! your guitars sound wide indeed !!! Nice job, I'd like to be close to that !
EQ : block lows below 50-60 and cut highs above 8K ? Something basically like that ?

I'm really testing lot of things and all good ways of doing are welcome.

Zorran said:
regarding the uber patch.. it is fairly tweaked. it has the following
- a ts808 in front with drive on 0, tone around 7.5 and level at 7.
- uber with drive around 5, bass at 7, mids at 4, treble on 6, bright switch on, presence on 5, master on 6. also my damp is on 8 and sag around 2. also i make the bias quite hot.
- then there are 3 ownhamer cabs.. all the same cab but different mics
- then there are 3 para eqs and a graphic eq.

Could make a good starting point for me ! I'll try to tweak starting your way. And for sure experiencing with IRs and EQs on L/R panned tracks could be a real solution for me !!

when you say Bias Hot, how hot ? :p More than 0.5 ?

Thanks a lot for your time Zorran !!

Great stuff! If this were a sample from an album, I'd buy it straight away.
Btw, this does more to turn me on to Ownhammer than any of the other threads.

hehe thanks tgunn :)

niko.. i think yeah there is a low cut around 30 or 40 and a high cut around 16k. i have done alot of eq from the axe itself so i didnt need to do much from the daw :) i think i also cut around 4k, boosted a touch around 100, 500, and 800.

and yes bias is definately more than 0.5.. it would be around .7 or.8 even i think. im not 100% sure right now but yes.. i love the sound of the hot bias. makes things alot more real for me.

cheers!

i think you rock guys need to seriously give ownhammer a shot. great and easy results! cant go wrong for $3.

Zorran said:
i think you rock guys need to seriously give ownhammer a shot. great and easy results! cant go wrong for $3.

Sure ! Bought them Cab#1 & #2 to give them a try last night.
Will dig this week end !

Yesterday night, I quickly set up a patch based on your advices and sure it rocks loud :twisted: even with "plain standard" V30+R121.
Still a bunch to tweak and I need to test with the various ownhammer IRs.

Dumb question : do you use mono-hires or dual cabs in your patches ?
And following : when you're trying various IRs with your patch, assuming using AxeFXEditor, when you load an IR via the Cab panel, does it "override" the cab+mic set in the patch or only the cab ? In other words, the mic is still there and it's like mesa+SM57 + R121 ? which would be kinda strange !

Anyway, once again thanks a lot for your advices !!!

AND...last but not least... KEEP UP composing such good tracks ! As stated by Tsgunn, I'd do the same : "If this were a sample from an album, I'd buy it straight away" !!!

hey niko..

i usually use a stereo cab coz it means i can use upto 4 cabs and blend em to taste.

and yes when you load an IR, i think it overrides only the cab section.. so it might pay to manually check all your patches.

thanks for your kind wishes niko :) ill most definately keep it coming!

hi zorran!

i really dig your stuff! could you just please share the preset file with us?

cheers,
dan

Hey Zorran! I've got a few PRS guitars ATM and although I like the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups I might try something different. So... do you think your PRS is much better now that you have BKPs in it?

Nice song but I still think you had better tones with your Palmer PDI and real amps. Why not make an IR out of the Palmer if you still have it?

Dont mess with the Zorran! :p

Great tune!!! Great tones!!

thanks dudes!

clark i dont really think my amp + palmer tones compare with the axe. the palmer was far from balanced and needed ALOT of work at the mixdown stage. so much happier with my current tones :)

Zorran said:
thanks dudes!

clark i dont really think my amp + palmer tones compare with the axe. the palmer was far from balanced and needed ALOT of work at the mixdown stage. so much happier with my current tones :)

Okay! :) What about the BKP pickup thing? Are they better than stock PRS?

yup most definately. i would say the HFS and VB are nice balanced pickup and probably the best prs pups ive tried. but they lack that extra life to them.. they are almost like actives in that regard. bareknuckles are very lively and usually have a sick midrange. i would reccommend the cold sweats for a nice clear sorta hot tone, or a crawler for a slightly less right but more magic sorta tone.

Got all the Axe-FX Ownhammer IR's. Will be playing with them this weekend.

killer tone.

Back
Top Bottom