Zappa Yo Mama and Other FZ Tone Presets

Cool let me know your thoughts.

• Set the Type back to PHOTOCELL
  • Set High Cut on the LFO to 50 Hz so it gets the greatest range of sweep
  • Push Max Freqeuncy up higer than 6kHz
  • Drop Min Frequency around 30 Hz
  • Depth at 10
  • Feedback to you're desired taste (I though around 55% was decent)

That makes it all chewier.

You can also move the Phaser block after the Amp and Cab blocks -- put it right before the Pitch block. That'll make the phasing more pronounced.

I pulled the Phaser block out into a preset with just a clean'ish AMP/CAB setup to work on it. I had trouble tweaking it in the context of your preset.

It's still not exactly like your Behringer sound though.

I would love a preset of Frank's lead he played on the Grand Funk (mostly) instrumental, Out To Get You, from the Good Playing Good Singing album which he produced. Which was not surprising the best sounding/engineered album of theirs. His solo just wails.

• Set the Type back to PHOTOCELL
  • Set High Cut on the LFO to 50 Hz so it gets the greatest range of sweep
  • Push Max Freqeuncy up higer than 6kHz
  • Drop Min Frequency around 30 Hz
  • Depth at 10
  • Feedback to you're desired taste (I though around 55% was decent)

That makes it all chewier.

You can also move the Phaser block after the Amp and Cab blocks -- put it right before the Pitch block. That'll make the phasing more pronounced.

I pulled the Phaser block out into a preset with just a clean'ish AMP/CAB setup to work on it. I had trouble tweaking it in the context of your preset.

It's still not exactly like your Behringer sound though.

Great I’ll try that,
I saw a video of Dweezil saying Frank just used a DI on Pink Napkins.

Ok I have made quite a few changes to the above Pink Napkins preset, including Iaresee's Phaser setting suggestions, I think I'm a little closer, but I just don't think the Mutated Phaser is an exact model of a Bi-Phaser, it doesn't have the same sound/ feel and perhaps not slow enough?
Should I keep posting here or make a new thread?

Attachments

• PINK NAPKINS 2.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 9
Ok I have made quite a few changes to the above Pink Napkins preset, including Iaresee's Phaser setting suggestions, I think I'm a little closer, but I just don't think the Mutated Phaser is an exact model of a Bi-Phaser, it doesn't have the same sound/ feel and perhaps not slow enough?
Should I keep posting here or make a new thread?

I'm enjoying following your progress.

That sounds really good!

I'm enjoying following your progress.

That sounds really good!
Thanks Iaresee!

It’s a lot of fun. As I said the Phaser doesn’t quite behave or sound like the real deal , there’s still a gloopy compressed thing missing, the travel of the modulation is a different behaviour/shape? This one almost does some wobbles as it moves , needs to be smoother, grainier and perhaps slower (IMO)
I am also only guessing that FZ used his early Eventide rack to do Micropitch -9 +9? But maybe he was doing something else? You can hear the Eventide creating that crystalline top end which is beautiful. My new preset is a chunk closer but almost a hybrid, there are hints of FZ 80s clean tones in there. I think I over promised when I naively proffered I was intending to create loads of Zappa tones! Now I see what it takes! I think I’d be content with 2 more with Watermelons and Zoot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom