YouTube: Clark Kent: Axe-Fx Metal Shootout

Which 3 did you like the most?

• Total voters
Great work as always Clark!!

I have been "Mesa guy" for a long time, but in this style track and mix its not so good.
With that backing I waited for rectifier and Mark IIC+, but after I heard them...they just dont fit in.
So my votes goes to Peavey,Fireball and IV.
Only thing I always miss when hear Peavey is that Mesa punchy attack, but its still the best for that track.
And that IV can be good just because it fits on your playing in that part of the song.

KIPPIS! :lol:

nexus said:
Great work as always Clark!!

I have been "Mesa guy" for a long time, but in this style track and mix its not so good.
With that backing I waited for rectifier and Mark IIC+, but after I heard them...they just dont fit in.
So my votes goes to Peavey,Fireball and IV.
Only thing I always miss when hear Peavey is that Mesa punchy attack, but its still the best for that track.
And that IV can be good just because it fits on your playing in that part of the song.

KIPPIS! :lol:

Haha. Näihäseo!

Yeah I had a Mark IV before the Axe-Fx and I had my reasons for having that amp. It's just so easy to play that you get this confidence like "when I'm playing a Mark IV I know I can't mess things up" :) It's hard to explain. Pete Loeffler from Chevelle also said this. He tried a Recto but ended up going back to Mark series because of this confidence thing. Still the Recto has the low end I also like so I guess I'm torn. The Peavey however is very close to a scooped Mark IV.

It's like being in candy land and you an only choose one candy. Here are my 10 favorites and I sure can't pick just one. :(

Haha!
We Axe users have lots of problems...
Someone cant ever get their dream amp or tone, we cant decide witch one of them we wana play :lol:
Maybe you need to play with 7 of them, 1 for every day of the week :eek:

Probably the fattest/angriest sounding to me was the Engl Fireball, but I did get a big grin when I heard the Marsha, because the tone and first few notes of the riff you were playing there reminded me of "Temples of Syrinx"... :)

mniel8195 said:
how do i get these settings out of the document?

These are meant to be opened in Axe-Edit. You can connect your Axe-Fx to your computer via MIDI and you can save the patches on your Axe-Fx. If you don't have a midi interface then you can still open the files with Axe-Edit and you can see me settings and just DIY. It'll be quick since it's just two blocks.

steverosburg said:
Probably the fattest/angriest sounding to me was the Engl Fireball, but I did get a big grin when I heard the Marsha, because the tone and first few notes of the riff you were playing there reminded me of "Temples of Syrinx"... :)

I don't know what "Temples of Syrinx" is but I guess those are pretty common chords. I started thinking about how much the riff/placement affects this shootout. I mean... if a riff sucks like f.ex. some might not like the chorus riff then how could they still like tone behind that riff. And Marsha had a good breakdown part so that could also make people grin a bit. Also the Mark IV had a cool breakdown part. :D The Diezel isn't that bad IMO but it's more of a background part after the agressive riff so that's why it might not do so good in this comparison. Also I feel like the Peavey has the biggest advantage since our ears get used to that sound right away but when these changes happen we are always comparing it to the Peavey sound.

This is why I'm doing a better comparison with 5 of these amps playing the exact same thing over and over. Something that also tests dynamics and whatnot. So... vote vote vote! I want a clear spread between 5 fave amps and 5 not-so-fave amps. :)

I don't know what "Temples of Syrinx" is

Rush 2112 (album - I had it when it came out, that's how old I am Clark LOL)- when Geddy's voice reached the heavens range-wise. He still rocks, but man, in the day. Alex Lifeson is one of Petrucci's big influences, but you knew that.

I disagree with your assessment that the Engl is too aggressive, I think it has a great midrange that cuts nicely. On James Labrie's new album, Marco Sfogli blended one of those with a Recto, and the rhythm tone on that album slays.

Not to nitpick here, but isn't it a Engl Powerball, not a Fireball, that is used? Or did Cliff sneak in the Fireball model while I wasn't looking?

Thanks,
Jeff

Tis a Powerball modeled, not a Fireball (me thinks).

I liked Marsha, Ecstasy and Soldano. Those choices, given my proclivities, should surprise no one. Very close runner up was the 5150, which surprised me because I never have monkeyed much with that amp sim... it's never worked for me. Here, in Clark's hands, it works well.

Clark does a very different 'thing' with his stuff musically than I do, and I think my choices reflect my taste on tones... but they seem to work in this context here too.

Interesting stuff Clark. Keep it coming.

soggybomb said:
I disagree with your assessment that the Engl is too aggressive, I think it has a great midrange that cuts nicely. On James Labrie's new album, Marco Sfogli blended one of those with a Recto, and the rhythm tone on that album slays.

Yup I actually know that Marco used it on the album and it sure works great. Still I never liked the real Engl amps because they sound so gritty but they sure work with lower tuning. Maybe a bit uncomfy for me.

SliderJeff said:
Not to nitpick here, but isn't it a Engl Powerball, not a Fireball, that is used? Or did Cliff sneak in the Fireball model while I wasn't looking?

Thanks,
Jeff

Wow I failed. TBH I'm not 100% familiar with all Engl amps. My bad!

Scott Peterson said:
Tis a Powerball modeled, not a Fireball (me thinks).

I liked Marsha, Ecstasy and Soldano. Those choices, given my proclivities, should surprise no one. Very close runner up was the 5150, which surprised me because I never have monkeyed much with that amp sim... it's never worked for me. Here, in Clark's hands, it works well.

Clark does a very different 'thing' with his stuff musically than I do, and I think my choices reflect my taste on tones... but they seem to work in this context here too.

Interesting stuff Clark. Keep it coming.

Sure I'll keep them coming. I'm already planning the next shootout...

soggybomb said:

Soggybomb,

Where did you read about Marco doing that for the new JLB solo disc? I searched through the forums here and couldn't find any discussion on that topic. Thanks.

Regs,
Jeff

Marco Sfogli said:
For the rhythm sound I used an Engl Fireball and a Dual Rectifier layered. We pretty much had the sound we wanted in mind and the studio guy knew how to get it, he brought several heads and we tested them all. The Axe-FX was hard to get so we decided to keep all the parts that didn't need to be played again from the demo sessions. The leads and all the Axe-FX parts were done at my house.

Marco

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19366&start=10

But hey... back to topic!

Clark Kent said:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19366&start=10[/url]

But hey... back to topic![/quote:3b3zo3b5]

LOL! Thanks.

Great playing, as usual. I don't know that I really loved any of the tones, but there were some I defintiely disliked ALOT more than others. The Bogner, in particular really got on my nerves. I had assumed I'd love the Diezel more, too. I need to listen again at home on the monitors, since doing eval work on laptop speakers is less than worthless. :)

Thanks again for putting this together!

Regs,
Jeff

After updating my firmware to 10.03 I realized all my IRs were too boomy and not clear enough. Well I think I was compensating for it before since now I'm using Redwirez CapEdge (which is how I'd usually mic a real cab) IRs and I'm in looooooooooove. I don't have the energy to make another video about it but I'll record a song or something.

Since I saw this post, I've spent way too much time with those presets and various Redwirez configs. Mostly just the combo you posted.

I have just been playing with the presence and EQ to taste and I could use just those (or even one of them really) and be content for high gain. Probably the most realistic metal sound I've ever heard from a modeler.

Thanks for sharing.

Marsha and Slodano, 5150 yea. Marsha stood out the most and seemed like more erm.. more of everything in a good way. Like a fine frothy Hefeweizen compared to a nasty Bud light. :lol: But it's kinda maybe delegated to more openness else you'd kinda loose the richness with it trying to play faster heavier stuff.

Back
Top Bottom