Youth Sentiment - Fender Antigua Strat

Yes I personally prefer the Areas over the Kinmans. I think they sound more single coil. A yes on the A61 with pair of A58 more than the A67 in the neck. I quite like two A61s N/M with a virtual vintage blues in the bridge. They are all great pickups. You can trust the Dimarzio tone guide on the website IME. Not quite as good as the Duncan sound clips but a good guide .

Thanks Andy.
Well, if I get all three variants I can experiment a bit :)
With the Virtual Vintage Blues...that's 4 of course....

Last edited:
On the plus side....the DM's are cheaper than SD's and certainly Kinmans
On the minus side...they're very hard to get.....:-(

This is a very good representation of the Ron Ellis pickups by a good player with quality clips for you to hear. This is how much difference you get at the top end of the market.

Great video, nice to hear those all back to back.
Anyone know what amp and cab he's playing through?

I preferred the Josefinas myself, fat but with beautiful clear top end too.
Too bad they seem to be unobtanium.

"Normal" Custom Shop Fat '50s are available locally, $270, no idea how close they are to Josefinas.
Custom Shop Fat '60s are available too, but from the vids I've seen I like the 50s better.

Great video, nice to hear those all back to back.
Anyone know what amp and cab he's playing through?

I preferred the Josefinas myself, fat but with beautiful clear top end too.
Too bad they seem to be unobtanium.

"Normal" Custom Shop Fat '50s are available locally, $270, no idea how close they are to Josefinas.
Custom Shop Fat '60s are available too, but from the vids I've seen I like the 50s better.
Josefinas are a lot better than CS fat 50s IMO and I agree they sounded best to me too.

Thanks Andy.
Well, if I get all three variants I can experiment a bit :)
With the Virtual Vintage Blues...that's 4 of course....
I have a strat the VV Blues in the middle and neck positions with the Virtual Solo in the bridge. Really good sounding noiseless pickups.

You don't by any chance know where you can buy them do you, or what they should cost?
They are made for custom shop master built but they sell limited runs occasionally $650 ish a set . Mostly I posted that video to de-mystify the Ron Ellis pickups which I think are good but not worthy of the hype. I have a set of his PAFs in my RG550 at the moment.:fearscream:
I should add the hype is not of Ron's making. He just concentrates on making the best pickups he can.

Last edited:
Got in on Reverb....
I'm still looking out for the Virtual Vintage Blues you suggested Andy
In the meantime, I'll check out some Bar Knuckle Sultans I have to install in a friend's geetar

Swapped the 61 for the Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 and me likes it very much.
Suits my style very good.
Moved the 61 to the neck position and that also seems a better choice.
I was just wondering if I should add a treble bleed and, if so, which one.....

Swapped the 61 for the Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2 and me likes it very much.
Suits my style very good.
Moved the 61 to the neck position and that also seems a better choice.
I was just wondering if I should add a treble bleed and, if so, which one.....
I quite like using the volume knob on a strat to knock back a bit of treble and smooth things out . 7 is a good place on a strat volume.
If you want a treble bleed the Suhr speck one is good,150k/680pf in parallel.

I quite like using the volume knob on a strat to knock back a bit of treble and smooth things out . 7 is a good place on a strat volume.
If you want a treble bleed the Suhr speck one is good,150k/680pf in parallel.
That Suhr setup is for single coils and 250k pots, yes?

When I was 16 I went to London to buy my first Fender Stratocaster. I had set my mind on a Natural Ash, but when I arrived at the Fender Soundhouse they had just received the new Antigua Strat.... I doubted strongly then but I stuck with my first thought. But the thought of an Antigua Strat has always stuck....
until now. I found one on Reverb.
I was taking @Andy Eagle 's advice that the Mexican 70's strats are a good starting point.
The frets needed a bit of love and care.
Not to fod of the pickups though.
I'm wondering what upgrades I should consider - tuners, bridge, pickups,...

View attachment 117392
Love that color! $$weetne$$

Back
Top Bottom