You're all going to think I'm crazy, but I need advice

rock15478

OK so here goes...

I bought the Axe-FX Ultra along with the MCF-101 midi controller back in December of last year.

I read and read on this forum for months before buying. It sounded too good be true, and I really wanted to get involved. I'm a tech nerd as well so the learning curve didn't really scare me too much. HOWEVER, here we are in July of 2011, and I honestly have BARELY touched this thing at all. Maybe it's because my life is so crazy busy and I just don't have the time, but I don't know. I played with it the first couple of days, mainly going through other presets and even using the Axe exchange to look at other people's patches. I was always playing through ADAM A7 studio monitors. I created a violin patch and a few other unique sounds, but I just never really had the patience to totally dial my tone in. I currently use a Marshall TSL-100 head along with a Marshall 4x12 cab. I still mic various heads and cabs in the studio. I pictured the Axe as being a lifesaver in the studio but for some reason I just can't find the drive to dial in tones with this thing... maybe it really is lack of time. Believe me, I'm passionate about the guitar but I know my amp, and I know how to get good tones out of it... so I haven't risked using the Axe live.

Anyway, this is all beside the point... I have a brand new (literally never taken out of the box) MCF-101 and the Axe-FX Ultra itself has barely been touched at all. Still has the plastic over it, literally brand new. Do you guys think I should just sell it? How much would this even go for now that the 2 is out?

I know I'll probably get bashed for all of this, and "why did you buy the stupid thing if you don't have the time or drive to learn it?" I honestly wish I knew. My life is really crazy busy so I thought this thing would actually HELP when it comes to a traditional guitar rig but I guess I didn't factor in the HOURS AND HOURS it takes to learn the unit and dial in some good tones. Not to mention, I never even came up with a good FRFR solution for live situations. I had debated just using my 4x12 cab and using the TSL head to power the axe, but that just seems like it's defeating a big part of the purpose. I guess what I'm trying to say is - maybe I should just sell the thing and get some money rather than having it sit around in the studio not being used. Ideas? Suggestions? Advice?

I really really liked the idea of getting this thing dialed in for my purposes, but I just get stressed out even thinking about it. It's almost like it seems like a "chore" when I put on my to-do list "FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE AXE-FX." That sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! (and be easy on me!)

Last edited:
Right now would be a good time to sell it only one on ebay right now. I would reccomend for you sell it and save the money and get on the waiting list and buy a Axe FX II its easier to dial in. But either way if you sold it now you would get top dollar but six months a year from now when the Axe Fx II production catches up to demand you will take a bigger hit. If you decide to keep it try to find someone near you with one that can help you setup your tones.

Hey man no worries stuff happens and the axe fx isn't for everyone. If you're willing to sit down with it for a day or three, then by all means go for it. If not, then sell it. I'm not gonna hate you for it and neither should any of the other forum guys. Heck you already have what you know to dial in a tone with a traditional amp and sometimes there's no need for change. Although we'd want you to at least try it, it's your choice bro :)

I was always playing through ADAM A7 studio monitors.

I always have a lot more fun and an easier time dialing when I play through an Atomic cab instead of my A7... If you can, try a nice FRFR amp, or if not, at least try using the AxeFX for the preamp sounds, and use your amp's power section to push it out your cab...

I look at it like this...you've already dropped the money. Plan out a day or two to really dig into the Axe-Fx and really get to know your way around it. Post on here for another Axe-Fx owner to come over and show you around the unit. Despite all the piss and vinegar displayed on the forum since the debut of the Axe-Fx II, most of us are pretty cool people and are always willing to help out a fellow Axe-Fx user/owner. The other thing to consider is the fact that from what it sounds like, you're wanting to use it for both live and studio work. While you can certainly do this, the fact that you're wanting to run it through your Marshall in the live setting means twice as many presets to write. If you're ok with that prospect, great. If not, you're going to want to look into an FRFR solution, or going straight to the board and monitoring through traditional stage monitors or in-ears. Patches made on your studio monitors would be much more of a 1:1 comparison with going this route. I've had my Ultra since March of 2008 and I absolutely love it. It IS deep, but definitely worth taking the time to learn it. If you do this and then decide that it's just not for you, then no harm, no foul. It's all about what works for YOU. But you know that already. Dig into it, man. I think you're gonna like what you find. Cheers.

Priorities are sometimes hard to align, having someone else telling you what to do with your stuff can be dangerous.

Contrary to what some people might tell you, this unit isn't for everyone. If you don't like knobs, go buy a Fender champ or something.

Im a newbie, but with the 2 already thinking it will be the be all end all for me. NOw when I see the huge rigs, and multi thousand dollar heads people are trading in, I feel like someone has already tested and proven whats out there; which basically confirms for me I dont need to keep looking.

It's definitely not for everyone. I miss the simplicity of a traditional head (but really hated the extra pedals, loops, effects processors, etc.). If you're a meat and potato player in the first place, then maybe the Axe-FX is overkill. For what it's worth, people are saying the II is much easier to dial in. The good thing about having my Ultra was that once I had 5-10 solid tones, those were consistently good all of the time (but if you don't think you'll have the time to delve in and tweak then it may not be worth pursuing).

Here are my 2 cents, for what it's worth...

Since you haven't been able to invest in the time neccessary (for a variety of reasons) to comprehensively learn how to get the most out of the Axe-FX Ultra...you need to ask yourself, what would change when you buy an Axe-FX II? That's some pretty expensive equipment to leave collecting dust. Sounds to me like you may be better off selling your Ultra and MFC and putting the money in the bank, IMHO.

If you like your Marshall rig and it is not wanting in any significant way and you don't find the new unit inspiring or significantly useful after trying it at out and getting to know it, it seems like a no brainer. For most individual players and budgets, it's an awful expensive/impractical unit to have languishing in a corner waiting for "someday".

Do what another guy suggested - take out a day or two. Just plug in the axe into your board and your guitars into the axe, get it hooked up to your computer and working with axe edit. Start with a blank patch, and put in an amp and a cab block. Check out the wiki to find out which amp is which - and try and work with the ones you've had good experiences with in real life. IMO, you should be set, with a smile on your face, in 5 minutes flat, learning curve be damned!! Of course, going from the good to the flat out hyper sexed out is gonna take some time - but since you're a nerd I think you'll like the journey ;) I know I did and have!

It's like a friend of mine said - everyday is like Christmas with this thing!

If you STILL don't find the motivation to do so - and I know how one of those things can just keep bothering you - then sell NOW! You'll get a good price for it, and someone else who's been waiting for a long time will thank you for it :)

best of luck in any case!

If you really aren't into it and don't use it then why not sell it. The original Axe units did take a hit when the AxeII first came out but with the limited availability, the prices have gone back up quite a bit. You should easily be able to get between 1600 and 1800 for the Ultra and pretty close to what the MFCs are going for new right now because those are not available either.

I sold my Ultra recently and used craigslist. A lot of people have problems with craigslist but I've had really good luck, only had one tire kicker ever and oddly enough it was when I sold a car.

Again, demand is pretty high right now because not only does Fractal not have any IIs for sale but the stopped selling the old units.

I would seek out a fellow Axe-Fx'er that is willing to give you a hand.

Just spending a couple hours 2 or 3 times will make a world of difference in the learning curve.

+1 on sell it and get a II when you can if have urge at all. The II is WAY easier to get sounds on. It's still a deep device and there's lots to learn, but getting a good basic sound is much much easier on the II. In general tweaking is easier on the II. Now that Axe Edit is out officially and working well, it's also going to be a huge time saver.

On the other hand, if you really don't have time, sell it and live your life. It does take some time to get used to working with, even with the II. Now that basic sounds are easy, I'm motivated to get more creative than I did with the Ultra.

Also, if recording is your deal, the II's usb is a huge asset, plus the ease of hook up with MFC is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom