Your thoughts on Graphic/Parametric EQ?

logicroxx

I'm just curious if and how everyone is using the graphic/parametric eq. I have a difficult time getting great tones unless I stick the par. eq after the cab; and I generally start shelving off some somewhere around 8 - 9k. Of course, this is very much a personal taste thing - I've heard absolutely stunning patches that use little other than the amps basic eq and some clever IR pairing.

So what say you - how do you like your eq?

what might be helpful is some sort of EQ visualization to show what is being effected. Obviously this is limited by processing power and the small screen but something even simple like the multicomp visualizer would be wonderful. Anything would be a help i think. But it's probably not possible.

Well, I like to put a GEQ block before amp/cab and gently roll off the lower three bands around 1.5-2 dB per octave depending on the guitar to keep flab out of the signal chain.

Then, a GEQ block near the end of the chain with a mid bump for a solo boost.

And if a patch is sounding too thumpy out of my monitors, a PEQ with a high Q and 6-8dB of cut zeroed in on the resonant freq, usually around G/G# on the low E, just after the cab.

Monitoring through headphones usually presents a lean sound, so I often bypass the first GEQ and/or PEQ when I'm wearing my cans.

I've also noticed that reverb, delay and modulation often reduces perception of bass so I might also bypass the EQ's when my patches use said effects.

edit: You know, when I think about it, after AMP and CAB, GEQ is my third most frequently used effect.

Back
Top Bottom