Your "Standard' tone

My axe is used mainly for recording so my main rhythm sound is actually comprised of two amps double tracked.

I use FAS Modern panned hard left and PVH6160II panned hard right.

I love the original fas modern, I think it's a seriously underrated amp model when combined with the right IR.

I tend to use custom mixes of OH mesa v30en and OH marshall CB v30en IRs.

For non-doubled tracked stuff I've recently discovered the magic combination of PVH 5150 block panned hard left and jcm800mod panned hard right, both driven with the +dist which yields a spacious yet upfront crunch.

I use a 70s Gibson Les Paul with BKP nailbombs and a custom built A&P Richardson also with Nailbombs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubleverb/FAS Lead 1 preset that morphs between the beautiful clean and beautiful power of these two models. I have the left (doubleverb) sent to an open back 2x12 and the right (FAS Lead 1) sent to a Marshall 4x12. I can morph between them with a control pedal. I'm using a Carvin DCM1540L power amp. I leave the power amp sim on. This is my go to. Woot!

I'm generally a rock player and I'm using a Marshall amp type most of the time, and have been using the 1987x amp for a couple of years now for my main, goto tone.

For live playing I have main 5 presets going from clean, mild OD (a bluesy OD tone), crunch (I live here 90% of the time), higain, and solo/lead.

I setup my crunch tone with the 1987x to have a enough gain to solo with, and use my volume control a LOT to dial it in to just where I need it.

With G3 the Marshalls have never felt and sounded so good, and the interplay with the volume control is just wild...I could do a gig with just that one preset and cover many styles if I needed to. I use the other presets for variety and other tone textures and they all sound and feel killer.

i use an ibanez rgd2127 with lundgrens pickups, i mostly play high gain/ rock stuff

my go to amps are the usa lead+ (mark iv) the fas modern and since fw 18 i must say i love the recto red modern

the great thing is all amps are soooo good!

I don't really have a single tone I can pick as THE one goto tone. I pick tones for songs. To me it's like picking a vocal melody, the tone is just another part of the arrangement process. When I'm just jamming, for the sake of jamming, it totally depends on what I'm jamming. Am I playing some blues? Maybe throw a medium gain 800, or a Vox. Metal? VH4, or an Engl. Depends on my mood.

6160 with a mix of one of the tv cabs (can't remember which) and a tone match i did of my own mesa cab with a sm57 and a sennheiser 606 through a Gyraf preamp. Have tried a billion other combinations, but i always end up going back to my "own" combi...

I play Hagstrom guitars with mainly Lollar Imperials or Arcane Inc. Ultratrons and play mostly alt rock/pop.

For cleans, the Vibroverb and Morgans have been my winners.

For the dirty stuff, Brit Brown, HBE, and now really loving the Atomica High as well.

My go-to for dirt is HBE, USA 2C+ Bright for super heavy and 59 Bassguy for clean.

I don't have a real favorite IR, I just run through them until I find one I like.

I had been stuck on the Marshall AFD 100 and I still really like it. But after G3 the Britt Brown has taken over that spot. For clean I really like the Suhr badger 18 with a 4x12 IR. I know that isn't the conventional choice but something about it I just like.

Last edited:
First port of call - Vibrolux really cranked (input trim increased), but generally tweed/brownface Fenders. Also digging the Swart recently.

Dr.Z 38 for clean and twang, though liking the Twin in FW18.

AC30 sometimes. Marshalls never! Any high gain never!

I play a Ron Kirn Barnbuster and tend towards Jon Fogerty-esque tones. I also like noise and fuzz but usually use 'real' pedals for that.

Top 1 preset: Wrecker Express!

Top 4 presets from clean to lead:
Vibrato Verb
Class-A 30W TB
Wrecker Express
Friedman BE

I'm possibly a little weird.
My Preset 000 is an acoustic patch that features a Left/Right channel seperation, as all my guitars have a Piezo pickup retrofitted.

The left input channel has no blocks in it and can be bypassed with a Volume block; the right input channel has the Piezo signal split into an enhancer block and two parallel PEQs. It also merges both magnetic and piezo channel at the end of the grid, followed by a volume block that is permanently mapped to an expression pedal so that I can always control output volume.

I have this as preset 000 because this is my "base template" for making other presets. Even if I don't use the piezo in a patch, I usually keep the piezo row alive, just so I can enable it with just the hit of a button in case I need it later.

Same here. I have 000 as my piezo preset so no matter where I'm at I can just jump right to an acoustic preset.

Back
Top Bottom