Your preferred Macbook Pro DAW?

I do on accession but not a lot. I guess it's a convenience thing and having one more out board pice is not that big of a deal. So the way that Plexi59 suggested would be the better way to do this? I doubt I need 3TB of storage I haven't even used up half of the 465Gig HDD I have now. I'm confused with your comment with SSD's, If I have an SSD big enough to load the OS and any programs Logic etc... then any files I create from those programs can't I just store them on the HDD thus not clogging the SSD?

A few things:
1. You want your machine to last. Don't install anything less than 2TB, otherwise it'll get claustrophobic quickly. But looking at the price difference between 2 and 3 TB drives, I'd go with 3.
2. Your large mechanical HD will appear like a separate device to the OS. You will be able to "link" (symlink, to use the technical term) folders from it to ones within your home folder for convenience. Files will appear as though they're in your home folder, while they're really are on the hard drive. I.e. your entire "Logic" dir could be on a 3TB drive. If you have a ton of photos, move them there as well.

I would recommend against using external storage in a Mac that does not have Thunderbolt, if you'rea also going to use it for recording through USB or FireWire 800 at the same time. How often do you use that optical drive, anyway?

I'm confused with your comment with SSD's, If I have an SSD big enough to load the OS and any programs Logic etc... then any files I create from those programs can't I just store them on the HDD thus not clogging the SSD?
Sure. But you don't want that HD to be an external drive. When you get up and go, taking an external drive with you is kind of a PIA. Also, it isn't so much about clogging up the SSD as it is keeping the things that need to load in to memory fastest on the SSD and also reducing a big of your wear and tear on the SSD. While I love the SSDs in my computers and wouldn't own a computer without one now, they do have much higher failure rates than mechanical drives and when they fail they just go kaput. No warning. No slower access. Nothing. Just kaput and your drive is gone. So make sure you're a regular user of Time Machine to back that sucker up.

Once you have the SSD installed you can move your home drive to the HD from the System Preferences -> Users & Groups pane. Just log in as another user, move your drive, log back in as you and delete that temp user and you're done. This recommended over using a symlink to your home drive from the SSD because Time Machine isn't always happy following symlinks off your primary disk but it *will* backup your home directory no matter which disk it lives on.

Interesting... more stuff I didn't know about SSD's Maybe I will hold off a little longer and do what I can with this machine using a larger HDD instead. When I'm ready to move to a new machine maybe by then they will have perfected SSD :lol. I really don't even use this machine like I should, it seems... to me anyway a little over kill just to have a boot time that is three times as fast as the one I have now. I hardly ever turn my machine off and loading logic is not done that often ether. I guess What I really need to do is get the Axe talking to this machine which means 10.7.x and be done with it :roll

Sure. But you don't want that HD to be an external drive. When you get up and go, taking an external drive with you is kind of a PIA. Also, it isn't so much about clogging up the SSD as it is keeping the things that need to load in to memory fastest on the SSD and also reducing a big of your wear and tear on the SSD. While I love the SSDs in my computers and wouldn't own a computer without one now, they do have much higher failure rates than mechanical drives and when they fail they just go kaput. No warning. No slower access. Nothing. Just kaput and your drive is gone. So make sure you're a regular user of Time Machine to back that sucker up.

Once you have the SSD installed you can move your home drive to the HD from the System Preferences -> Users & Groups pane. Just log in as another user, move your drive, log back in as you and delete that temp user and you're done. This recommended over using a symlink to your home drive from the SSD because Time Machine isn't always happy following symlinks off your primary disk but it *will* backup your home directory no matter which disk it lives on.

Um, no. They have much _lower_ failure rates since there are no moving parts. Typical time between failures (MTBF) is usually 1 million hours or more. What they do suffer from is the limited number of rewrites per memory cell. This means you can only rewrite each block on the drive a finite number of times, typically 3-5 thousand. This means, e.g. that if you want to wear out a 256GB SSD, the conservative estimate is you will need to write 768 terabytes of data to it before it starts failing. Number of reads is unlimited. I doubt 99.9999% of users ever get anywhere close to that number. It's worth pointing out that it _could_ be dangerous to run an SSD with a mostly-write workload when it doesn't have a lot of free space, and is therefore forced to re-use the same blocks.

It is a good idea to have a backup, though, no disagreement there.

Um, no. They have much _lower_ failure rates since there are no moving parts. Typical time between failures (MTBF) is usually 1 million hours or more.
Ahh statistical sampling for reliability...as a former FPGA guy, one of my favourite topics. :)

MTBF is a terrible inadequate metric for SSDs *specifically* because they have no moving parts and their technology isn't repairable. Technically, SSDs don't even have an MTBF, they have an MTTF, that's because failures in an SSD generally can't be repaired. They're catastrophic and require the drive need to be replaced completely. Remember: MTBF = MTTF + Mean time to repair (MTTR).

Also MTBF/MTTF numbers don't indicate how long you can use a drive before you expect it fail. They relate the relative risk of getting a defective unit from the manufacturer. It's how long their sample group lasted before an error was encountered. But it doesn't tell you much about the nature of the failure and that's very important.

Right now failure numbers are more or less the same for consumer-level SSD and HD technology. Usually in the 1.5 - 2.0 million hour range. The difference, and this is critical, is the MTBF vs. MTTF distinction. An error in traditional mechanical drive is not uncommon and the tech has advanced over the years to the point where, despite a failure, it can usually be worked around by the drive's controller. The failures aren't catastrophic; at least not right away. That's not the case for SSD drives. We haven't got a good way to work around bad blocks in the devices yet that isn't expensive (read: that isn't really in consumer-grade SSD tech).

Mechanical drives enjoy the slow death. This keeps their MTBF numbers low, but their effective lifespan pretty high because once failures start to occur you've usually got time to shut it off, replace the drive, an recover the data. You don't get that with SSDs. The numbers might look the same on paper, but the effect of a failure is dramatically different for the technologies.

What they do suffer from is the limited number of rewrites per memory cell. This means you can only rewrite each block on the drive a finite number of times, typically 3-5 thousand. This means, e.g. that if you want to wear out a 256GB SSD, the conservative estimate is you will need to write 768 terabytes of data to it before it starts failing. Number of reads is unlimited. I doubt 99.9999% of users ever get anywhere close to that number. It's worth pointing out that it _could_ be dangerous to run an SSD with a mostly-write workload when it doesn't have a lot of free space, and is therefore forced to re-use the same blocks.

This is one of those areas where people haven't had to think very hard for a very long time because spinning platter disk tech has gotten so good. It's almost unreasonable to ask consumers to put this stuff in to their heads in order for them to enjoy the benefits. The best, current advice, for them is: know that when SSDs fail they fail hard and you lose access to everything. So keep a backup. There's no click-of-death to warn you failure is coming. There's no reduced performance to tip you off. It's just *blink* and it's gone.

This is why I love the hybrid drive idea - best of both worlds
thumbsup.gif
(but doubtless not without it's shortcomings!
laughing.gif
)

I didn't go full SSD though, I went Seagate Momentus Hybrid Drives - 500Gb with 4Gb SSD in each - works an absolute treat!
thumbsup.gif

I'm using the newer version of these drives with 750GB and they doubled the SSD buffer. For all my works this is way fast enough in a Mac Book with lot's of RAM.

where, despite a failure, it can usually be worked around by the drive's controller. The failures aren't catastrophic; at least not right away. That's not the case for SSD drives.

Actually, SSD controllers DO work around bad blocks, nearly the same way as "regular" drives do: they mark them bad and never use them again. Heck, brand new drives ship with a small % of bad blocks, which controller hides from you. Otherwise yields would be ridiculously low. Then there's a fixed budget of blocks controller will substitute when blocks fail—same as on a mechanical hard drive, but without the extra seek latency.

I'm a huge fan of PreSonus Studio One. I'm a little biased, cause I live near Baton Rouge and I knew some of the guys that started the company back when they weren't rich and famous, but I'd love their stuff either way. It's easy to learn and powerful, but has almost no fat. I used to use Cubase which is fine, but the learning curve is much shorter on Studio One, and in my experience, it's more stable.

I figure I've got enough of a learning curve figuring out how to get the most out of my Axe FX II; I don't need to add a needlessly complicated DAW into the mix...

I'm a huge fan of PreSonus Studio One.

I figure I've got enough of a learning curve figuring out how to get the most out of my Axe FX II; I don't need to add a needlessly complicated DAW into the mix...

I thought I would like Studio One also, but I'm having a heck of a time with the Presonus AudioBox 1818 VSL and my new Retina Display MacBook Pro. It seems not quite ready for USB 3 only. Wish it had Thunderbolt. Apparently they are working on a new driver...I'll stick with it for awhile because it seems it will be an excellent system.

I thought I would like Studio One also, but I'm having a heck of a time with the Presonus AudioBox 1818 VSL and my new Retina Display MacBook Pro. It seems not quite ready for USB 3 only. Wish it had Thunderbolt. Apparently they are working on a new driver...I'll stick with it for awhile because it seems it will be an excellent system.
That seems like a hardware issue though, not a Studio One problem, no?

Back
Top Bottom