Your preferred intonation method.

I've always tuned my open string and fretted the 12th, in a playing position, to set my intonation. Watched a Sweetwater vid where they used open and 12th fret harmonic to set. Have seen other methods using 5th & 17th and so on. Not trying to start a Ginger vs Mary Ann war but wondering what methods others use and why.
I had been setting it by the 12th fret being in tune with the octave harmonic for ages, but recently switched to checking that and at the 3rd and 15th fret, and adjusting for the best compromise possible between the three (3rd, 12th, and 15th). Seems to play more in tune across the whole length of the fretboard, and shows which strings' nut slots are a tad high. Works well with Earvana or regular nuts....

Also... Your guitar will sound different on your bench vs. on your body w/strap, playing sitting down, etc. So, it is OK to do the first pass on the bench, but I'd also check it in your normal playing position and fine-tune.

I don't have a bench, so 100% of my testing on this is done in playing position. Heck just leaning back into the seat with the guitar body leaning against you vs. sitting the guitar body up straight (or standing and using a strap) throws the whole guitar off by a couple cents....

Last edited:
I don't have a bench, so 100% of my testing on this is done in playing position. Heck just leaning back into the seat with the guitar body leaning against you vs. sitting the guitar body up straight (or standing and using a strap) throws the whole guitar off by a couple cents....
Yep, I like to set it the same way that I play it.

Don't do that. :p

But yeah, I get it. I pay attention to ensure I'm not imparting any extra pressure onto my trem.

Back
Top Bottom