Your preferred DAW

Reaper. All the functionality, none of the fluff.

$60 personal license also kicks the sh*t out of most competitor pricing.

Came from Cakewalk Home Studio > Sonar Producer > Acid Pro 4 through 7 > Pro Tools 9 and 10 > finally to Reaper. Never looked back.

I still have Acid Pro 7 and Pro Tools 10 installed, but never use them anymore. I also have Harrison MixBus (what a joke).

Reaper. All the functionality, none of the fluff.

$60 personal license also kicks the sh*t out of most competitor pricing.

Came from Cakewalk Home Studio > Sonar Producer > Acid Pro 4 through 7 > Pro Tools 9 and 10 > finally to Reaper. Never looked back.

I still have Acid Pro 7 and Pro Tools 10 installed, but never use them anymore. I also have Harrison MixBus (what a joke).

May I ask what it was about Pro Tools that made you switch to reaper?

May I ask what it was about Pro Tools that made you switch to reaper?

Proprietary nature of everything "Pro Tools". The iLok fiasco. Discontinuation of support for high dollar plugins. etc.

I also wanted to do more online collaboration with other hobbyists, most of whom didn't have PT and were using Reaper. I looked at it, liked it from the get-go and eventually found myself using it more than PT or Acid Pro. One day I decided to just stick with Reaper and have been pretty happy ever since.

I'll admit I was never a huge fan of PT to begin with. Mainly started using it when a friend with his own home studio suggested it. The 3 years I had PT installed I still found myself going back to Acid Pro 7 regularly to do things that just seemed counter intuitive in PT. The learning curve was pretty steep too, and I never really got past it.

Others love PT. It just never "clicked" with me. YMMV

Proprietary nature of everything "Pro Tools". The iLok fiasco. Discontinuation of support for high dollar plugins. etc.

I also wanted to do more online collaboration with other hobbyists, most of whom didn't have PT and were using Reaper. I looked at it, liked it from the get-go and eventually found myself using it more than PT or Acid Pro. One day I decided to just stick with Reaper and have been pretty happy ever since.

I'll admit I was never a huge fan of PT to begin with. Mainly started using it when a friend with his own home studio suggested it. The 3 years I had PT installed I still found myself going back to Acid Pro 7 regularly to do things that just seemed counter intuitive in PT. The learning curve was pretty steep too, and I never really got past it.

Others love PT. It just never "clicked" with me. YMMV

Interesting, thanks for the reply. I was lucky enough to not fall in the PT rabbit hole. Oddly enough, I am more of a heavy metal/hard rock head; I use Ableton and am actually enjoying its work flow and even got me dabbling in some EDM lately, go figure! I used Reaper for a short while, but when the new Ableton V.9 came out, I just grabbed it as a curiosity and have not look back since. Amazing how many DAWs are out there and how it does not really seem to matter which you end up choosing.

Last edited:
I'm currently using Ableton live 9, but I've had experience with Logic, Reaper, Garage band, Cubase, and Studio One. I would pick either Ableton or Reaper personally, favoring Ableton slightly because it's my current go-to.

Reaper is great because it's lightweight, efficient, and the learning curve isn't as bad as some people might lead you to believe. The creator can be quite efficient and it's a great tool with a lot of utility you wouldn't expect from a sub $100.00 DAW. Overall it's lacking some features that a more "premium" DAW might have, but you have to ask yourself if you need feature bloat in your life.
Ableton was my least favorite DAW at first. It seemed clunky and the workflow wasn't great for a beginner. After I really committed and learned the intricacies though, I'd prefer it over almost anything (Aside from Logic if I had a Mac). The way it interacts with VST's is great, the layout for track volume, panning, and fx control is absolutely wonderful. The Midi control is also really easy and programming drums is a breeze once you're used to creating beats. It has a ton of built in features and samples that are useful right from the get go. Seeing as you're on PC, I would definitely give the full versions of Ableton a shot. My gripes are that it's much more geared towards capturing live performance, The tempo controls are difficult to deal with at first, and (as far as I can tell) it doesn't do hardware latency correction all that well.

Cubase would probably win more points with me if they didn't automate so much. Sometimes you want more control over everything, so it's really a taste thing. Nothing about Cubase 8 is bad, in fact it's much more feature rich than Ableton. The midi control differences are what really changes things for me, but Cubase is much more efficient with loops and samples. It's hard to go wrong with either choice.

Ableton Live 9 here easiest for me to get into and working quickly. works great with plug ins SD2 f.ex. Ableton lite used to come with Line 6 interfaces /products UX1 pod farm ect. I tried Cubase and Pro tools and really had a hard time just getting them to work at all.

Depends on the day/project or if one gives me fits and ticks me off for some reason I use a different one. No longer a one DAW world for me anymore.

• Studio One Pro3 currently, I like the 'connected' feel/approach.
  • Reaper or Sonar Platinum Pro for quick ideas and easiest comping.
  • Samplitude Pro X2 for involved tracking.
  • FL Studio 12 confuses the heck out of me! But I like the new version design.

Back
Top Bottom