"Your Love" by The Outfield - Harmoniser Help Needed

bread

Power User
Could someone shed some light on how to get this harmoniser sound in the first solo section on the song Your Love by The Outfield please ?

I've seen some on-line demos and read some stuff on the internet, but my attempts sound like a fairground so I wondered if anyone could give me some tips.

Thanks in advance

I have always just played that part as a chord solo or with another player taking the second line.

If you want to use a harmonized line, you're probably best off playing the upper line, setting the harmonizer to transpose down a third in D Major (assuming you're playing the main part of the song in E, like the recording). Mix the lower note a bit lower than the played note, to minimize the "processed" sound.

Last edited:
1st thing I do when trying to work out a harmony part is to learn the top notes and use the harmonizer to do the rest .... If that sounds like S#!T then I learn the bottom notes and rework the harmonizer .... Something about the timbre of the vibrating guitar strings it sounds completely different to me .... GOOD LUCK !

I found a "live" recording of the song here:

I've listened to the live version a few times now and I'd definitely start w/ the main part that the guitarist plays and work the harmonizer from there. The 2nd guitar is so low in the mix it's almost not necessary ....

FWIW - I kinda dig the heavier rhythm sound of the live recording ..., but the solo tone SUX !

Formant shifting options would be really nice to have in the pitch block. Keeps the timbre of the shifted part more natural sounding. So, for example a shifted voice can sound more like the same person singing in a higher register instead of sounding like a chipmunk.

There are three keys (for me) using a harmonizer/pitch modulation:
1). Add some detuning to the synthesized notes. This will help it sound more realistic.
2). Add a low pass filter just above the highest note the harmonizer will be creating. This helps to remove any "artifacts" from the higher pitched stuff.
3). Don't mix the harmonized part 1:1 with the dry signal. What I do is start at 1:1 and then reduce the harmonizer mix until the part is still clearly audible, but not as "featured" as the dry.

I've also seen it mentioned several times out here that it's a good idea to put the Pitch block between the amp and the cab blocks, so that might be a thing to try too to help the artificial notes sound better.

Use custom harmony and select each note and what you want it to play. I never use diatonic. Most of the time it does not work. You can do any harmony using custom harmony.

Back
Top Bottom