Your favorite music documentaries

There’s a documentary on Netflix about Chicago. So many great songs and the guitarist/singer was so good. And WOW...they liked to party!!! It’s great to see they moved on after Cetera left and had success. Cetera comes off like a total douch.

Yes but imho Chicago was never the same after the day Terry Kath died................When Jimi Hendrix says "I'm good but this guy is better" about another guitar player and then takes him on the road...well..enuff said.
Terry Kath was a monster and dies at 32 yrs old-- I think this is so very cool.............
I saw them in the early 70's in , iiirc, it was Saratoga Springs in upstate New York-Big outside theater. Everyone sittin on blankets like a mini woodstock..at a concert.........

Last edited:
Just finishing up The End of The End.

Black Sabbath performing their final concert.

Really enjoyed it.

Bittersweet... They were in great form, but it has to end sometime and going out on your own terms is good.

They are in my top 3 all time bands with KISS and Van Halen.

49 years!

I really enjoyed it as well. I liked the breaks from the concert with the interviews. It's honestly still hard for me to come to terms with that being that. I've been seeing them perform since before I could drive. Had tickets to see Ozzy here not long ago, and the concert was cancelled. Still really bummed about that.

The two part-three hour+ analysis, Brian Wilson-Songwriter, now on Prime Video, is very interesting as it goes deep into the specific melodic and harmonic motifs that Wilson used and was influenced by.......also loads of 60s California surfing, hot rods, Phil Spector and Beach Boys footage..!

Last edited:
This English one on the Beatles has some great analysis by a musical scholar. He argues that rather than creating something completely new and fresh, the Beatles actually drew upon musical ideas and structures that were quite old and revived them in a modern format.

It’s funny how the Beatles aren’t appreciated by generations younger than the baby boomers for what they did and the versatility in their writing. I’m 49, generation X. I grew up having a favorite Beatle (Paul) and even watched their cartoon. Know all of their songs. But up until maybe age 40 I didn’t get it. I guess I just did t understand that nobody else at that time were doing what they did. Every album open the gate for other artists to explore ideas created by the Beatles. Now, I’m in awe when I listen to something simple as ‘I wanna hold you’re hand’ and then complex like ‘Elenor Rigsby’. The scale of what they accomplished is amazing and I feel ignorant for ignoring it or dismissing it simply because I took it for granted or it didn’t have a cranked Marshal with singer that had hair like a lady and sang falsetto...

I really enjoyed it as well. I liked the breaks from the concert with the interviews. It's honestly still hard for me to come to terms with that being that. I've been seeing them perform since before I could drive. Had tickets to see Ozzy here not long ago, and the concert was cancelled. Still really bummed about that.

I saw Black Sabbath with Tony Martin, I saw them with Ozzy, I personally prefer the former, and not just because to me Ozzy looks and moves like he's mentally handicapped, with Ozzy you only get the songs from the Ozzy era, with Tony Martin I got the songs from every age. I wish I had seen them as Heaven & Hell with Dio. I'm glad they worked it out with him and ended that partnership on a high note.

It’s funny how the Beatles aren’t appreciated by generations younger than the baby boomers for what they did and the versatility in their writing. I’m 49, generation X. I grew up having a favorite Beatle (Paul) and even watched their cartoon. Know all of their songs. But up until maybe age 40 I didn’t get it. I guess I just did t understand that nobody else at that time were doing what they did. Every album open the gate for other artists to explore ideas created by the Beatles. Now, I’m in awe when I listen to something simple as ‘I wanna hold you’re hand’ and then complex like ‘Elenor Rigsby’. The scale of what they accomplished is amazing and I feel ignorant for ignoring it or dismissing it simply because I took it for granted or it didn’t have a cranked Marshal with singer that had hair like a lady and sang falsetto...

I'm always amazed whenever I meet a youngster who even knows and likes the Beatles. I always tell them they shouldn't even be knowing them, as every generation should have their own music and musical heroes.

I saw Black Sabbath with Tony Martin, I saw them with Ozzy, I personally prefer the former, and not just because to me Ozzy looks and moves like he's mentally handicapped, with Ozzy you only get the songs from the Ozzy era, with Tony Martin I got the songs from every age. I wish I had seen them as Heaven & Hell with Dio. I'm glad they worked it out with him and ended that partnership on a high note.

I'm always amazed whenever I meet a youngster who even knows and likes the Beatles. I always tell them they shouldn't even be knowing them, as every generation should have their own music and musical heroes.

If every gen had their own music , well how would we learn about the blues and rock greats that were around before us? I grew up with the Beatles, Buffalo Springfield, etc, etc. Great,great groups. Every guitar player should know who they were. I mean I know all about Robert Johnson and Sonny Boy Williamson, Skip James, etc, but I certainly wasn't around when they played. Wait, maybe I was..................

Tony Martin was a great singer with Sabbath.
Some of my favorite albums!

rhvideo.jpg

If every gen had their own music , well how would we learn about the blues and rock greats that were around before us?

Through the interpretations and influence on the bands we like that came after them? As in Beatles influences next gen, who influences next gen, who influences next gen. So why is it so important that all bands and musicians suddenly declare fealty to their spiritual Beatles lieges? Who died and appointed them rock 'n' roll popes? I don't even like them. I'm willing to admit that what they did was groundbreaking and influenced popular music greatly. Other then that I think their music is absolutely not to my taste and the way they introduced a whole generation to cults and drug abuse was a disaster that still rings to this day. And that's excluding the fact that if there is no current generation of rock bands influencing new musicians the system has broken down.

I agree. Especially if you consider the recording tools they had back then, versus today.

Through the interpretations and influence on the bands we like that came after them? As in Beatles influences next gen, who influences next gen, who influences next gen. So why is it so important that all bands and musicians suddenly declare fealty to their spiritual Beatles lieges? Who died and appointed them rock 'n' roll popes? I don't even like them. I'm willing to admit that what they did was groundbreaking and influenced popular music greatly. Other then that I think their music is absolutely not to my taste and the way they introduced a whole generation to cults and drug abuse was a disaster that still rings to this day. And that's excluding the fact that if there is no current generation of rock bands influencing new musicians the system has broken down.

Ok you do not care for them or their music. That's cool.

See, I always gave credit where credit was due even if I did not like the music-like heavy metal, for instance. But I would never bad mouth it or anything. Just not my cup of tea. You gave them (the Beatles) some credit and that is cool!
But to balme the beatles for Americas drug abuse is a bit ridiculous. Guys were shooting up heroin long before the beatles members were even born. Just sayin..............

Ok you do not care for them or their music. That's cool.

See, I always gave credit where credit was due even if I did not like the music-like heavy metal, for instance. But I would never bad mouth it or anything. Just not my cup of tea. You gave them (the Beatles) some credit and that is cool!
But to balme the beatles for Americas drug abuse is a bit ridiculous. Guys were shooting up heroin long before the beatles members were even born. Just sayin..............
Yeah... How many famous old school jazz and blues musicians died from heroin or cocaine ODs many years before them?

That's just a silly statement...

Consider what other music was going on at the time. That’s the key to appreciating their contribution. Then the idea that they influenced 95% of their peers and the next generation. Metal does t happen without the Beatles.

Yeah... How many famous old school jazz and blues musicians died from heroin or cocaine ODs many years before them?

That's just a silly statement...

You can’t blame the Beatles for America’s drug problems. I guess you can say they had contribution due to their popularity and influence though.

Every music lover should watch Quincy.

The impact that Quincy Jones has had on music in general is unbelievable. From jazz to Sinatra to Michael Jackson. And still.
Just watched it, came here to say this, you beat me to it. Really kind of amazing, an amazing man, did so much, touched so many lives.

Last edited:
I'm surprised this never came up in this thread:

Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World

This one was really interesting as well, all kinds of stuff I didn't know about:

Hitsville: The Making of Motown

Back
Top Bottom