Your Best Guitar/Pickups for Crushing Metal Tones through Axe

ToneLabRat

Experienced
In pursuit of the best brutal metal tones possible through Axe:

- What is your favorite guitar/pickups?
- How much difference does the guitar make with the Axe?
- Single cut-away vs. double?
- Mahogany body/neck vs. basewood or alder/maple neck?
- Active pickups vs. passive?
- Any other important considerations?

Actually, there is no exact answer to your question, only suggestions and things you could take into consideration. I have only got three guitars but way more pickups, so I change them very often, therefore I'll be saying some things about pickups and usual misconceptions. Note that all I say reflects my personal oppinion and should not be seen as a universal truth.

Important thing about pickups: Every pickup combination will sound different in each guitar. The tone is also dependant on what amp, string gauge, picks etc. you're using. Whether you like it or not is a matter of taste - and genre.

You need high output pickups in order to get a "brutal metal tone".
Wrong. Medium output pickups or even so called "vintage pickups" (kind of low output) can give you a very sweat tone. I don't know what you mean with "crushing metal tone", but not too high output pickups can help you get a very tight (not muddy) tone. You could hear every aspects of the guitar itself and the chord you're playing, while high output pickups could undermine the qualities of your axe. However, high gain and high output hide sloppy technique or can be a lot of fun - as I said, it's also a matter of taste and genre.

Active pickups (e.g. EMG) generally higher output than passives.
Wrong. Let's take the archetype of active pickups, the EMG 81, as an example. Its headroom is very limited, in other words, it compresses a lot, which will give you the feeling of being high output, but what it really does is give you about the same amount of output, no matter if you pick hardly or softly (example is exagerated). Some high output passive pickups, e.g. DiMarzio DActivator Bridge, have a lot of headroom. You will get tons of output if you smash your strings and you will get considerably less if you caress them. But as I already told above, passive pickups can have compressed headroom, too. And they do sound pretty sweet.
Sidenote: The 18V-mod for active pickups increases the headroom. Also, the new X-series of EMG might react differently to hard picking. I haven't tried either of them, though.

Why would one need active pickups, then?
Active pickups have considerably less noise. But IMO, that is not an argument against passive pickups, as there are a lot of methods on how you can avoid unwanted noise. Eventually, you should use the pickups you like, no matter active or passive.

I've listened to some pickup comparison samples on XY, and I didn't hear much of a difference. Am I just deaf?
No, you aren't. The higher the gain, the less the pickups (and guitar) can be distinguished from each other. However, you will most certainly hear differences when listening to the DI-files. Also, they could feel more different if you were actually playing instead of listening.

Mahagony, alder, basswood, maple, ebony, rosewood ... WTF?!
Before buying a guitar, play it extensively. Also try it out without amp. IMO, wood does make a lot of difference, but what matters in the end is whether you like the tone of the guitar or not.

There are way more things I could tell about wood, pickups and whatever. But eventually, I'll always be saying: There is no such thing as "the best combination for an XY-tone". All gets back to how you as a guitarist handle your guitar and the rest of your gear.

#1 for me is a guitar that sings unplugged, and I don't mean sustain, I'm talking about resonating the tone. So many electric guitars sound and feel thin unplugged, but for a brutal metal tone you need a clean meaty sound before it goes anywhere IMO. This is why a solid guitar sounds so awesome. It does not have be a thick 75 pound block of wood either. Every guitar is different, even 2 models of the same brand may resonate completely different, this is why you need to try it out.

#2 IMO..... EMG's hands down. EMG's work great because they translate that clean tone without adding much noise, and the cleaner the signal into your pre-amp the cleaner your distortion will be. Set up your pickup height so that when you crank your volume on your guitar it's not clipping the pickup's pre-amp and distorting as this completely destroys your signal right from the beginning and is the biggest problem that un-educated people do, then spout off that EMG's are crap, compress, oscillate, etc. Properly used EMG's are amazingly clean and dynamic.

#3 picking technique is a bigger part of it than you think. Many players think the harder you play/pick, the more crushing it will sound. I see it on a regular basis pub crawling and watching bands, While for some applications this is true, most of the time, picking overly hard just creates more noise and instead of crushing metal you get squawking quack.

#4 Recording is a completely different approach than live playing. Less gain and double track, record dry and add effects after, etc, etc.

I'll say this. I've got a keen ear and have always loved the nuances that different pups bring to different amps and playing styles.

Before I delved into the Fractal scene (back at the Ultra days), I was skeptical about the differences a pup would make in a purely digitally simulated tone.

Fast foward to the Axe II and I am blown away with just how sensitive this unit is to different pups and pup heights. Way more so than any head - and that's not a nod to either, either way - just a statement of my perception of the unit. It's hyper sensitive.

The best pups I've used - oddly enough in both the analog and the digital realm - are the BKP Painkillers. Those things are sick. Super potent, aggressively voiced, mean, and still hold a nice breadth of per-string balance and individuality. They slay. Crank up some gain, and hit 'em hard and they simply slay.

Depends on what you mean with crushing. And no offence to metal players but doesn't really matter much tone wise unless there are noise issues. You'll hear extremely small difference in the distorted sound but feel will change for sure.

The industry standard is Duncan JB in the bridge. :D

Just buy a PRS since it's best for all genres... or a Music Man guitar. :)

There is no ultimate answer, everybody will have his own fave setup. For me it is Gibson Les Pauls with either EMG 81 or Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups. I still have some Les Pauls with the original Gibson Pickups (mostly Burstbuckers) which sound pretty good too when playing high gain stuff, but the definition and the punch are better with the other pickups I mentioned. But as I said, it all comes down to what YOU like. Many people love the Duncan Jeff Beck pickup, I once tried it in one of my guitars and sold it on eBay the next day, to me it sounded horrible ;-)

Thanks for the responses - they are all very helpful. I picked up a Jackson Soloist with a SD JB TB4 in the bridge. Great guitar and it is very high output compared to my other guitars and the articulation of the individual notes is very good. But it doesn't seem to crunch and growl like my Ibanez RG with DiMarzio's does. I mainly want to play nu-metal with it and I just can't get there on the playability of the single cutaway guitars - they are just not nearly as comfortable as the strat style guitars to me. I know tone is subjective but I am fairly new to the AxeFX and any thoughts are appreciated. Can I tweak my presets to accommodate, do I need to swap pups to some of the suggested ones, or do I need to force myself to like a LP or other mahogany body/neck guitar?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Most of it in drop D and drop C: Disturbed, Godsmack, Mudvayne, Three Days Grace, etc. are the tones I want to emulate. My guitars or pickups seem too bright to accurately replicate these tones. Thanks for the help.

I use 4 different Les Paul's with PRS #6's and Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the treble slot, Tremonti Bass for neck slot. I use the Freidman HBE with the Ownhammer BETA 412 Bogner V31 SM57 #3 cab, Gets a great all around heavy sound just very the drive and master to taste. I started with a Mark Day patch and tweaked it. I also find that moving your guitar volume between 8 and ten to find the heavy yet clear sweet spot. The axe II seems much more sensitive to guitar volume than most amps i've had.

In pursuit of the best brutal metal tones possible through Axe:

- What is your favorite guitar/pickups?
- How much difference does the guitar make with the Axe?
- Single cut-away vs. double?
- Mahogany body/neck vs. basewood or alder/maple neck?
- Active pickups vs. passive?
- Any other important considerations?
The Axe is pretty sensitive to different pickups. All of my guitars are well-equipped to play metal. I have a Gibson Les Paul with Burstbucker Pros, a Gibson SG with EMG 81/85s, a PRS Custom 24 with HFSs, and an Ibanez RGA121 with Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion/SH-2 Jazz pickups. Its a pretty close call, but I think the Ibanez is my best sounding guitar - both for cleans and metal (my PRS is VERY close). The pickups have everything to do with it.

Hi
I have only had my FXII for 6 months but I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to have specific patches tuned to specific guitars as I noticed that I had been playing my PRS c24 with 59-09 pups for 90% of the time and last month due to decorating ( packed the c24 safely away ) I was using my PRS se c24 with hfs / vb pups and I felt the sound just wasn't what I wanted but just wanted to rock and could sacrifice play time for tinkering with tones and new presets.

anybody organise there tones for songs and guitars ???

G \../

The Axe is pretty sensitive to different pickups. All of my guitars are well-equipped to play metal. I have a Gibson Les Paul with Burstbucker Pros, a Gibson SG with EMG 81/85s, a PRS Custom 24 with HFSs, and an Ibanez RGA121 with Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion/SH-2 Jazz pickups. Its a pretty close call, but I think the Ibanez is my best sounding guitar - both for cleans and metal (my PRS is VERY close). The pickups have everything to do with it.

Cool, I love to hear the RG competes well. I've never played an RGA with Mahogany body.

Very cool Dave - thanks. Did you notice a big difference in mahogany single cut-away vs. strat style and also active vs. passive? I don't notice big differences but you would know better.
I've found that the more gain you use in the amp, the less apparent the differences in tone are. The biggest differences to me in this recording are in the bass tones on palm mutes on the Low E string. I don't know how much Soundcloud compressed/altered the sound, but there were audible differences to me in the tones between each guitar. I also found that different guitars with EMG 81 pickups had slight variations in tone.

Clean tones and rock tones are a different story - I'm sure that the wood and pickups used make a bigger difference there. I will say that the Axe-FX really shows the differences in guitars - my patches can sound really different depending on what guitar I use. At the end of the day, I personally find that it is more important to me to have a guitar that is comfortable playing in terms of neck profile, radius, fret size, etc. rather than focusing on wood and pickup types.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom