your advice on AX8 + headphones without mixer

Hhuent

Experienced
I know there have been several threads on headphones. But I did not find an answer.
If I want to use the AX8 with headphones and a Y-cable coming from the 1/4 outs and do not want to use an external mixer/pre amp -
would i have to look for headphones with low or high impedance to match the AX8 out (has 600 ohms impedance, right?). I read lots of different things on this subject. Some recommend headphones with say 250 ohms, some report good results with 64 ohm headphones. Then again you read ohms are not important, just lots of decibels. And yes, I would like to have the EQ of the headphones as flat as possible... Any hints?

Here is the deal: talked to a person today who is pro in electronics and amp building.

Using Y cable and usual headphones, for example 32ohm, WILL affect the sound. Lows and highs will be affected most (dimmed). Plus, overall sound will not be as pure.

The only way to get around this is to use some headphone preamp.

End of story.

Here is the deal: talked to a person today who is pro in electronics and amp building.

Using Y cable and usual headphones, for example 32ohm, WILL affect the sound. Lows and highs will be affected most (dimmed). Plus, overall sound will not be as pure.

The only way to get around this is to use some headphone preamp.

End of story.

thanks for claryfying, barmaleus. I read a bit more about ohms and headphones. I understand the AX8 output protects other gear with a high impedance of 600 ohm. I had the impression headphones must be used with low impedance, less than 32 ohm to work with this output. I just wondered why some people here stillexperienced good sound with headphones despite the loss of lows and highs.
I will do a little research on headphones with built in preamps because I hate dragging a mixer around just to use headphones. There might also be other solutions like personus + iphone or a dedicated preamp (ike Vox offers) that you plug into a 1/4 jack.

I use AKG K400 headphones with a Y cable - sounds pretty good to me. Out 1 is on a third and plenty loud enough as well.

I'm using some Bose QC15s, which have an impedance of about 75 ohms, directly connected
and it sounds good to me. I'm sure the sound isn't as accurate as a FRFR setup but it doesn't sound bad. Good enough to practice with.

Thank you guys, sounds good. And now, to kick it up one notch, as headphones often enhance the highs and the lows:
Are the blue mofi or other headphones translating well to FRFR so you could even use them for dialing in presets. They may not move air and give that thump, but maybe there is something that is suitable?

I just wondered why some people here stillexperienced good sound with headphones despite the loss of lows and highs.
Of course, it is not a complete loss of some frequencies. Highs and lows just get... muffled. We don't know what type of music people play, what guitars they have, how experienced they are - perhaps it works for them fine. And most of all, maybe they are not as pedantic (like me) when it comes to the guitar sound :D

Blue Mofi - 466g? Almost half a kilo. That's really heavy.

I have gotten used to how the sound from the Mofis translate to my studio monitors and FRFR. It's a compromise, but worth it. It's a different story running them with the built-in power amp, and the bass boost is a nice feature.

I think the AX8 should have a headphone jack more so than the AXE FXII. I think I'll wait to get one until they get the kinks worked out and new features like they did when the started production of the XL+ units. I was just telling the wife that if I'm traveling and in a hotel or somewhere, I don't want to drag out an FRFR speaker to use the AX8. I'll stick with my Axe FxII for now.

I think the AX8 should have a headphone jack more so than the AXE FXII. I think I'll wait to get one until they get the kinks worked out and new features like they did when the started production of the XL+ units. I was just telling the wife that if I'm traveling and in a hotel or somewhere, I don't want to drag out an FRFR speaker to use the AX8. I'll stick with my Axe FxII for now.
Lot's of companies make very small headphone amps for as cheap as $25. I'm not going to advocate for any particular company with this regard, but there are inexpensive solutions that do not require keeping the whole floor in your hotel awake while you rehearse.

Of course, it is not a complete loss of some frequencies. Highs and lows just get... muffled. We don't know what type of music people play, what guitars they have, how experienced they are - perhaps it works for them fine. And most of all, maybe they are not as pedantic (like me) when it comes to the guitar sound :D

Blue Mofi - 466g? Almost half a kilo. That's really heavy.
Agreed on weight of Mo-fi...i own one And cannot use it, but many here(apparently with stronger necks) love it

After some research I pulled the trigger and ordered a danish headphone with that strange name AyAyAy Guru something, 32 ohm, 120 db SPL. It is pretty leightweight and supposed to be comfortable to wear. The blu mo-fi is quite a heavy weight champion - maybe this is the prize to pay for the built in preamp. If my choice was wrong I will return it and go for the usual suspects like the mo-fi I guess. Will report backwhen I had a testdrive with it. Thanks for your advice, fellas...

The Mofi does become uncomfortable over a relatively short period of time, say, in comparison to my DT880s. But, no separate headphone amp is a nice trade off. I haven't used my 880s since getting the Mofis. Not planning to sell them; just need more room to have everything set up.

Lot's of companies make very small headphone amps for as cheap as $25. I'm not going to advocate for any particular company with this regard, but there are inexpensive solutions that do not require keeping the whole floor in your hotel awake while you rehearse.

Still looking for the best solution. The small and cheap ones that come to my mind instantly are all said to not sounding very good, but if you know one that's cheap and good sounding, please send me a PM.

Does anybody have experience with the Presonus HP2?
Actually it's in the same price range as a small Mackie mixer (=far from being a cheap headphone amp), but the small footprint of the HP2 really appeals to me.

Received my Fiio A3 yesterday. It is small and neat!
Now need to find cables and connectors to test it out with AX8.

Back
Top Bottom