"You Oughta Know" - Live

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
This is my band from a recent show. We take some liberty with the song and there are some NSFW song lyrics (as in the original). I'm hiding behind Laura in the corner... that's where they put the bad boys. :D

We ran as a backline, and because of the limited room, I had to run with the RCF NX 12-SMA behind me on the floor firing up. It was an interesting challenge because the monitor is very directional; and not aimed at where my camera (Zoom Q3HD) was sitting. The sound is raw as recorded live - Mark (the other guitar player) was firing directly at the camera... so the mix is off.

But you get the general idea. I'm doing 'stunt' guitar work here - all the tremolo and wah and crystals and such is me (though you'll also hear Sean, the keyboardist, doing his thing with pads and such too).

The idea is that you play the song, pick your parts and connect with the crowd.

It's an interesting challenge to run a powered monitor as a backline from the floor. There just was not room for a stand. Ideally, I prefer - greatly - when faced with this situation to run the RCF up on a stand with the bottom of the monitor just over my head. That really helps the dispersion pattern. But, like in all things, we do the best with the situation we can with the tools at hand.

I like the energy of this take and Mike (the bassist) really took this one for a ride. Laura brings it real on this song, we always have to put it at the end of a set because she needs to rest her voice after this one.

Enjoy!

:D

Mike is one of my best friends and I've been in bands with him since the early 90's. He is a freaking bad ass bassist who can deliver flash like crazy and still lays a groove like a monster at the same time.

Here's pics of us that I like:

Old (middle 90's) (with hair!):
1063_46830698553_6051_n.jpg

Current (sans hair (sigh)):
539934_10150809312641879_219091159_n.jpg

I like that arrangement. We tried playing this one, but canned it as we couldn't get a feel down that worked - it's very stylized to Alanis and her story. But I think the different arrangement here (plus the killer playing) really makes it work. Great job - thanks for sharing.

You guys are tight. It sounds great. What are NSFW lyrics?

One thing though Scott - we gotta get you out in the front and more visible in these videos. I think the last video we saw like an elbow or something, but that's it. Don't let the other guys steal the spotlight! ;)

One thing though Scott - we gotta get you out in the front and more visible in these videos. I think the last video we saw like an elbow or something, but that's it. Don't let the other guys steal the spotlight! ;)

I'm not an ego guy, so the spotlight, or lack of it, doesn't bother me. I'm not as pretty as Laura either... so look at her instead. ;) Seriously, the reason I get put in the back is that I don't sing. The mic's are up front... so I get 'tucked in the back'. Plus we are a 6 piece so stage space on most of these club/bar 'stages' is *tight* with a capital "T". Rest assured in the 3rd and 4th sets I get to 'step up' and get up front and actually sing some backups.

Thanks. "Not Safe For Work". The F*** bomb in there would qualify as NSFW!

I'm doing 'stunt' guitar work here - all the tremolo and wah and crystals and such is me (though you'll also hear Sean, the keyboardist, doing his thing with pads and such too).

Enjoy!

Oh Yeah ! I did ENJOY ! That's one of my favorites from her .... I love the rawness of it all !

And I know that you kinda get off on the stunt guitar, but I do wish you'd step into the spotlight once in a while too !

Scott the band had me captivated for the entire 6 minutes!!

The bassist is sick. He adds so much power to the song.

The vocalist is incredibly talented. She needs a Vocalist Live 5 to add some delay / reverb here and there. Some subtle FX on her voice here and there would have blended her into the mix so well. (WE are all starving musicians though, I know lol)

The other guitarist has got some chops and adds tastefully to the song.

Your patch is SWEET! SO much atmosphere is added from your end. It adds a great dimension man. There's a lot going on there but i think I hear the crystals pitch shifter in there?

Thanks for sharing this dude. Awesome stuff!!!

Scott the band had me captivated for the entire 6 minutes!!

The bassist is sick. He adds so much power to the song.

The vocalist is incredibly talented. She needs a Vocalist Live 5 to add some delay / reverb here and there. Some subtle FX on her voice here and there would have blended her into the mix so well. (WE are all starving musicians though, I know lol)

The other guitarist has got some chops and adds tastefully to the song.

Your patch is SWEET! SO much atmosphere is added from your end. It adds a great dimension man. There's a lot going on there but i think I hear the crystals pitch shifter in there?

Thanks for sharing this dude. Awesome stuff!!!

Cool man. Thanks for the nice comments.

I'm adding crystals, delay and some tweaked trem and crazy stuff for the intro/verse/bridge; in the choruses, I roll off the effects completely and just have the amp/cab rocking it. I do that all at once with an expression pedal; it's simple and effective.

Back
Top Bottom