"You need to be an engineer..."

It was extremely common for people to fix frequency issues with PEQ blocks. It was one of the number one pieces of advice on here back in those days.
As I said, everyone is different.

I didn't say it wasn't common... But likely common for a specific genre, which not everyone plays.

Lots of things are common. Many people only use V30s. I don't really care for them for my sound.

Different strokes...

Also, even these days, some people prefer to EQ the hell out of their presets. :)

I do agree with the general sentiment that it's much more straightforward to dial in a great sound with an Amp and Cab and not a lot of tweaking advanced parameters.

And then there’s me…

I know enough about studio/live sound equipment to be able to dial up whatever I may need from my AFX3 (especially FX-wise) and I still have well-trained ears to be able to tell when it’s “right”.

That said, my “knowledge base” is precisely why I choose to purchase presets from experts (like @austinbuddy) who seem perfectly content to create great sounds (with deep tweaks) on the cheap so I can focus on enjoying my limited amount of available playing time.

I've used factory presets with zero tweaks so many times when tracking stuff that has ended up in final mixes. Fractal's more difficult UI is a function of its power and features. If it were stripped down to the extremely limited features and routing of Helix/QC then its interface could be dummyproof too.

Not at all difficult to get great tones out of any fractal product with minimal effort. IMHO anyway and I am NOT AN ENGINEER.
What amazes me about threads like this is whatever generation is current (today) or maybe a decade or more back-these folks GREW UP with cell phones on their ears and COMPUTERS being a household appliance. When someone asks, "what is an ir", and they just bought a fractal or other modeler, that's on them, not the manufacturers.
I got my first computer in the early 90's. A Mac something. I sure did not grow up with one. or cell phones.
Yes, if you want go deep diving, well, that's different. But that doesn't seem to be the "subject" of this thread.

I didn't say it wasn't common... But likely common for a specific genre, which not everyone plays.
I never said it was required, or that everyone did it either. So I don't quite know why you took issue with my post.

I think it is fairly undeniable that the Axe FX III is more instantly gratifying out of the box than the Axe FX II.

I want to say that I don't agree, but I have no idea what it's like to not be a computer dork or an audio engineer anymore.

I do still prefer whatever-Edit to doing things on the hardware, but that's largely because I have an FM3 on the floor that's harder to reach than my computer. If I was using an AF3 mounted in a desk rack, I'm not sure that I'd have nearly as much of a pereference.

If I was using an AF3 mounted in a desk rack, I'm not sure that I'd have nearly as much of a pereference.
I’ll bet you would — with all of the buttons on the AFX3 being black on a black faceplate and pretty small text on the display, I find AxeEdit to be absolutely essential to living with the AFX3.

I’ll bet you would — with all of the buttons on the AFX3 being black on a black faceplate and pretty small text on the display, I find AxeEdit to be absolutely essential to living with the AFX3.
You may or may not be right, but my keyboard doesn't have legends on it, so....idk.

I mean....the keycaps are colored, but I haven't looked at a keyboard in years unless it was some weirdo layout (and not my weirdo layout).

You certainly don't need to be an engineer to get good tone. Just go through the factory cabs and I don't know how you could not find a dozen or more tones you like considering the wide gamut of included preset options. On the other hand, being an engineer can open up worlds of exploration with the FAS products, but you don't HAVE to go there!!

To get good tone with the Axe-Fx, you need to know:

1. what good tone sounds like
2. what gear gets you the tone you want
3. how to play. there's no gear that will give you talent. If you have bad timing, bad feel, bad vibrato, and don't know how to hit the strings with intent like you mean it, the best rig in the world won't make up for that.

If you're used to plugging one cable into one guitar and one combo amp to get your tone, you'll have a lot to learn, yeah. But if you play with a head and cab, a pedal board, and have experience mic'ing your cab to get good tone through a PA, you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom