Yet another "Should I Take The Plunge" Post

I just had this scenario pop into my head. Picture a big studio, guitarist Bob is preparing to record his epic solo. Studio engineer Ray is trying to help Bob get the perfect tone for this world changing guitaristic event.

Bob: "Ray, can I pretty please use the studio's Plexi for this epic solo?"
Ray: "Well, OK, let me mic it up."
Bob: Plays a few epic riffs. "Great tone! Just needs one tweak; could you please open the amp and clip the bright cap? Too many highs."
Ray: Blank stare. Crickets. A red flush goes over his face, than maniacal laughter. "Uh, no."
Bob: "Let me try my FM3, just a quick tweak of the deep parameters. Let's try that."

Minutes later: tone achieved, solo crafted, session saved as well as Bob and Ray's hearing and tube life and transformers in the Plexi and the Greenbacks in the vintage cab. Bob saves the preset and uses the same epic tone live. Bob doesn't care it's a modeler. Ray doesn't care it is a modeler. The audience doesn't care if it's a modeler. The only people that care are the guitarists in the back with their arms folded scowling in disgust.
ok THAT is funny LOL

I dont want to disclose too much, but I was in a MAJOR studio, with a MAJOR musician/band, worth over 20mil a person.
The lead singer and guitarist wanted a "ring mod" sound on his guitar.
I tell them there is a Moog Ring Modulator in the drawer in the room, I tell the engineer.
As they slap a plugin on it and say "yeah but this is easier."

Moral of the story is plugins and the easy thing sucks.

ok it's done and on order!!

quick recording question....do you all go XLR out to your interface (in my case an Audient Sono) or do you plug the FM3 right into the DAW for guitar tracking, then go back to the interface for vocals and such?
I go straight from FM3 (USB out) to my DAW and record the wet and a dry (DI) track, for easy re-amping as needed. No issues.

Any more questions or if you have any issues, feel free to message me after you get the FM3, happy to help!

quick recording question....do you all go XLR out to your interface (in my case an Audient Sono) or do you plug the FM3 right into the DAW for guitar tracking, then go back to the interface for vocals and such?
I dislike using the FM3 as an interface because I'd have to use a monitor control or splitter for my speakers so I use an interface.
I wanted the flexibility of a stereo recording as well as easily using a 4cm method with real amps so I have 2 ways of using the outputs.

I use digital over SPDIF for a stereo signal, then I'm using out1/out2 into the amp as well as the effects loop when I want to do that kinda thing. I have a reamp box as well for when I want to reamp a DI signal from the DAW back to everything.

Looks like you can do the same with the Sono because that has a built in reamping function which is super neat.
But yeah whatever method you choose will be fine. The only consideration with using digital is that the FM3 will be locked at 48k so you'll need to sync your interface to the FM3 at 48k. This can bug out windows and you need to set your windows audio to 48k to match everything and I can see how that can be annoying for some people, so for simplicities sake if you used analog then it's all very straight forward. You have a ton of options haha.

I am an FM3 into interface guy so I can keep ALL of my different sources active and ready to go. Love it. :)

I do run a USB from the FM3 to my computer active so I can use FM3-Edit.

I dislike using the FM3 as an interface because I'd have to use a monitor control or splitter for my speakers so I use an interface.
I wanted the flexibility of a stereo recording as well as easily using a 4cm method with real amps so I have 2 ways of using the outputs.

I use digital over SPDIF for a stereo signal, then I'm using out1/out2 into the amp as well as the effects loop when I want to do that kinda thing. I have a reamp box as well for when I want to reamp a DI signal from the DAW back to everything.

Looks like you can do the same with the Sono because that has a built in reamping function which is super neat.
But yeah whatever method you choose will be fine. The only consideration with using digital is that the FM3 will be locked at 48k so you'll need to sync your interface to the FM3 at 48k. This can bug out windows and you need to set your windows audio to 48k to match everything and I can see how that can be annoying for some people, so for simplicities sake if you used analog then it's all very straight forward. You have a ton of options haha.
that's a lot of great info...thanks a lot. It arrives Thursday!

SO. WOW. This thing does not disappoint. I tried setting it up 4CM with my Orange Rocker 15 Lunchbox but I don't think I truly understand how to route things yet; it took over the amp, none of the Orange's controls or switches would respond, even with Amps and IRs bypassed. So I staged a tactical retreat and put the FM3 into the effects loop as a multi-effects processor and again bypassed cabs and amps.

Oh my. The verbs are better than my Empress. The harmonic trem WAY better than my EQD. Everything sounds great, just great. Even the Tone of Kings in the loop rather than in front sounds pretty dang tasty. KOT+Delay+Harmonic Tremolo+Reverb set to ultra high=63%CPU

Next step was a quick and dirty dive into recording. Ran XLR L/R into the Audient and I swear it took me less than 5 minutes on FM3 Edit to build a rig that sounds very close to the Orange, close enough that it..well, sounded like ME. I was so pleased, then I moved on to checking out some of the presets and had a ball. I even put down a scratch track on a more or less completed mix, a part that I already recorded with a mic'ed cab that just isn't sitting in the mix well and right away it sounded WAY better. Citrus Terrier+Cab+KOT+Delay+Harmonic TRem+Reverb set to ultra high=73% or so CPU

I'm still settling into the ecosystem and have a lot to learn to streamline my workflow but out of the gate there is no effing way this is getting returned. I think for live use it's going to be a hot minute before I am facile enough to make on the fly changes but there are no gigs so that's a moot point for now, as is learning how to make the most of footswitches. I'll get there though.

THANK YOU ALL OF YOU for the copious tips, offers for help, and encouragement. I've not even scratched the surface but I am a very happy camper already.

SO. WOW. This thing does not disappoint. I tried setting it up 4CM with my Orange Rocker 15 Lunchbox but I don't think I truly understand how to route things yet; it took over the amp, none of the Orange's controls or switches would respond, even with Amps and IRs bypassed. So I staged a tactical retreat and put the FM3 into the effects loop as a multi-effects processor and again bypassed cabs and amps.

Oh my. The verbs are better than my Empress. The harmonic trem WAY better than my EQD. Everything sounds great, just great. Even the Tone of Kings in the loop rather than in front sounds pretty dang tasty. KOT+Delay+Harmonic Tremolo+Reverb set to ultra high=63%CPU

Next step was a quick and dirty dive into recording. Ran XLR L/R into the Audient and I swear it took me less than 5 minutes on FM3 Edit to build a rig that sounds very close to the Orange, close enough that it..well, sounded like ME. I was so pleased, then I moved on to checking out some of the presets and had a ball. I even put down a scratch track on a more or less completed mix, a part that I already recorded with a mic'ed cab that just isn't sitting in the mix well and right away it sounded WAY better. Citrus Terrier+Cab+KOT+Delay+Harmonic TRem+Reverb set to ultra high=73% or so CPU

I'm still settling into the ecosystem and have a lot to learn to streamline my workflow but out of the gate there is no effing way this is getting returned. I think for live use it's going to be a hot minute before I am facile enough to make on the fly changes but there are no gigs so that's a moot point for now, as is learning how to make the most of footswitches. I'll get there though.

THANK YOU ALL OF YOU for the copious tips, offers for help, and encouragement. I've not even scratched the surface but I am a very happy camper already.
Awesome! Checkout Leons video and/or the manual for 4cm info. Once you understand it all it's not difficult at all but I can completely understand going from 0 to 4cm it's a bit to take on haha. Good call on routing everything to the loop for now and getting some good sounds. Yep the unit is amazing on its own and paired with an amp, killer piece of kit!

Covid ended my band, i had an amp (still have, but im selling it) and a really nice pedalboard (still have it, but it's goiing to change a bit and the FM3 will be the centerpiece). So rehearsals and gigs have now become home recordings only. I don't like having gear i don't use, so it bother me having a tube amp i don't use, it's just too loud to get the full effect and benefit at apartment levels so i mainy record with the HX Stomp that's on my pedalboard or a plugin like SGear(mostly this one).

While i really like my pedlaboard, the tones i get from Hx Stomp were always the weakest part of the unit (here's a quick photo of my board).

Sure on a mix it will sound as good as any thing else, but as much as the Line6 crowd denies it lacks a lot on the feel department. It just doesn't feel like your playing a tube amp, it's miles apart form something like a Kemper (wich i owned in the past) or even the Sgear plugin.

It does a lot of things well, just not amp modeling for my own specific taste.

The unit was fine for it's original purpose (being a FX unit, that substituted a pair of previous Strymon units), but for recording only...meh.

So i decided to try something new, and still utilise some "ideas"of this present board (il still want some of theses pedals).

I toyed with the ideia of buying back a Kemper, but the head format was a bit troublesome for my home setup. Plus you don't have usb recording on the Kemper, and even if i went the Stage route i would still need to use a pair of cables into a usb interface and that's just an hassle. And one of things i liked about the Hx Stomp was the ease of use for recording, something i will find here too.

Plus i like to try new things and this will be my first experience with Fractal, and that's also an exciting thing.

So i bought an FM3 today, let's see if i will enjoy it.

Attachments

• Sem nome.jpg
    Sem nome.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Covid ended my band, i had an amp (still have, but im selling it) and a really nice pedalboard (still have it, but it's goiing to change a bit and the FM3 will be the centerpiece). So rehearsals and gigs have now become home recordings only. I don't like having gear i don't use, so it bother me having a tube amp i don't use, it's just too loud to get the full effect and benefit at apartment levels so i mainy record with the HX Stomp that's on my pedalboard or a plugin like SGear(mostly this one).

While i really like my pedlaboard, the tones i get from Hx Stomp were always the weakest part of the unit (here's a quick photo of my board).

Sure on a mix it will sound as good as any thing else, but as much as the Line6 crowd denies it lacks a lot on the feel department. It just doesn't feel like your playing a tube amp, it's miles apart form something like a Kemper (wich i owned in the past) or even the Sgear plugin.

It does a lot of things well, just not amp modeling for my own specific taste.

The unit was fine for it's original purpose (being a FX unit, that substituted a pair of previous Strymon units), but for recording only...meh.

So i decided to try something new, and still utilise some "ideas"of this present board (il still want some of theses pedals).

I toyed with the ideia of buying back a Kemper, but the head format was a bit troublesome for my home setup. Plus you don't have usb recording on the Kemper, and even if i went the Stage route i would still need to use a pair of cables into a usb interface and that's just an hassle. And one of things i liked about the Hx Stomp was the ease of use for recording, something i will find here too.

Plus i like to try new things and this will be my first experience with Fractal, and that's also an exciting thing.

So i bought an FM3 today, let's see if i will enjoy it.
OOF. That is a pretty sick board. Personally I woud think all of those things sound better than the FM3, except the drop pedal, since you can do so many discrete and interesting things with the Pitch block in the FM3. However, I imagine drop has a "vintage sound" even though its modern, comapred the the FM3, which is "very modern."

Also those pedals have analog through, which FM3 does not.

Nothing in the world is better than a Diamond Compressor.

Stellar little board there. Or medium sized board. It will be interesting to see what you think...

OOF. That is a pretty sick board. Personally I woud think all of those things sound better than the FM3, except the drop pedal, since you can do so many discrete and interesting things with the Pitch block in the FM3. However, I imagine drop has a "vintage sound" even though its modern, comapred the the FM3, which is "very modern."

Also those pedals have analog through, which FM3 does not.

Nothing in the world is better than a Diamond Compressor.

Stellar little board there. Or medium sized board. It will be interesting to see what you think...
Im keeping most of the pedals, i just like them too much to get rid of them. I still enjoy a bit of analog goodness with my digital.

And yes, the Diamond is a magical pedal. To me it goes beyond being a simple compressor, it's a tone enhancer. It's a pedal (and brand, that sadlly doesn't exist anymore) that people theses days don't talk enough about it, but i suspect it's a matter of time for a lot of people to rediscover them (and becoming really expensive on the used market in the process).

I will utlize most of pedals of the current pedalboard in the new fractal setup. The gecko midi controller seems to work with the FM3 from what i read in this forum, the Lightspeed is another favorite (sounds good with everything) ill keep. The drop is a pedal i see regulary in Fractal boards (for a good reason i suppose), it really works on a band context (and it's so pratical to engange a single pedal and get instant drop tunnings) and i still hope that further down the road I'll get a new band.

I'll also keep the tuner? Maybe? Does anyone here think it's useful? Will it "alivaiate" the FM3 switches for other purposes? I really don't know, i would appreciate opinions on this one. And of course the Ev5 (I've used this pedal with a Kemper an Hx Stomp and now a Fractal, it's the full circle).

I will need a bigger borard, and i've been reading in the forum i can use my current power supply (cioks dc7) if i use a IEC splitter. That's really helpful because i really didn't want to buy a new power supply.

And that's it. The biggest change is really changing the Hx stomp for the fractal unit. The Hx Stomp is a really great small unit (it's amazing what it does in such a small package), but i really dislike the amp modeling on it. Even with good IRs's the feel is completly flat, and i really hate that in the unit.

Im keeping most of the pedals, i just like them too much to get rid of them. I still enjoy a bit of analog goodness with my digital.

And yes, the Diamond is a magical pedal. To me it goes beyond being a simple compressor, it's a tone enhancer. It's a pedal (and brand, that sadlly doesn't exist anymore) that people theses days don't talk enough about it, but i suspect it's a matter of time for a lot of people to rediscover them (and becoming really expensive on the used market in the process).

I will utlize most of pedals of the current pedalboard in the new fractal setup. The gecko midi controller seems to work with the FM3 from what i read in this forum, the Lightspeed is another favorite (sounds good with everything) ill keep. The drop is a pedal i see regulary in Fractal boards (for a good reason i suppose), it really works on a band context (and it's so pratical to engange a single pedal and get instant drop tunnings) and i still hope that further down the road I'll get a new band.

I'll also keep the tuner? Maybe? Does anyone here think it's useful? Will it "alivaiate" the FM3 switches for other purposes? I really don't know, i would appreciate opinions on this one. And of course the Ev5 (I've used this pedal with a Kemper an Hx Stomp and now a Fractal, it's the full circle).

I will need a bigger borard, and i've been reading in the forum i can use my current power supply (cioks dc7) if i use a IEC splitter. That's really helpful because i really didn't want to buy a new power supply.

And that's it. The biggest change is really changing the Hx stomp for the fractal unit. The Hx Stomp is a really great small unit (it's amazing what it does in such a small package), but i really dislike the amp modeling on it. Even with good IRs's the feel is completly flat, and i really hate that in the unit.
No need to keep the tuner. If you use an expression pedal, you can set it to automatically trigger the internal tuner when it is in the heel-down position.

Back
Top Bottom