Yet another reason I am glad I have an Axe Fx3....

I wonder what someone (Cliff?) would need to spend to replace all the glass in the amp collection?

It was bound to happen though. The guitar market was never big enough to maintain these production facilities and when the non-guitar market demand drops below a certain point the factories will close altogether. It's already happening in the IC and transistor market with production of through hole components ever increasingly shifting to SMD components. When I got into DIY pedal building in 2005 a J-201 JFET transistor, the usual tranny of choice for amp in a box pedals, was such that you could use them in a Millennium bypass circuit, which was then the cheaper alternative to the 3PDT switches being used for true bypass switching. These days they will cost you first born son and chances are you will still be getting fakes from some scammer from China. I completely see that happening to tubes too at some point.

On the plus side we will finally be rid of the analog vs. digital divide as only fewer and fewer people will be able to afford a tube amp. Not to mention that if tube amps become REALLY expensive more and more people will relegate them to the bedroom or the studio and tour with modelers and solid states instead.

Back
Top Bottom