Yet another AXE EDIT - Ultra communication problem (checked nearly everything)

bobmeredith

Symptoms.

Ultra won't obey program change info from Axe Edit. It will edit when any block is clicked on but wont return back to the

patch window after saving and changing to a different patch. Tuner operates from Axe edit to Ultra and sysex seems to be

sent and recieved.

Axe Edit status reads not connected at all times.

Events leading up to problem

After using my ADA midi controller (no issues) I unplugged it and hooked the ultra back up to the computer as it has been

since I got it a few months ago. The symptoms described above became apparent straight away.

The Gear and tests

Ultra V 11.00

Axe edit 1 0 261 no previous issuses.

Checked and swapped 3 midi cables

Midi out on soundcard to midi in on Axe. M Audio 2496, no previous issuses
2496 is selected on midi IN and OUT boxes on Midi Settings Tab.

Axe edit set to midi channel 1, Ultra set to midi channel 1. Sysex:125 is NOT checked
Program change is set to "on" on the Ultra

Deleted and reinstalled both the midi intereface and AXE edit software at least twice. Installed older versions of Axe Edit: No success

Rebooted computer and Ultra, turned off mains

Tested Ultra with laptop and previously successful Axe Edit and midisport 1x1 NO success

No settings on the Ultra of Axe Edit were changed prior to this problem. It would appear that the Ultra is the problem.

I would prefer not to have to reset my Ultra until all other avenues are explored.

Running out of ideas folks, could my midi controller have damaged or reset something deep in the Ultra?

I'd be greatful for any help.

Bob

Did you tried to plug the m audio interface to another usb port on your computer ? Please try.

Edit: i didnt read you tried on anorher laptop, so this won't help :(

Problem fixed but don't know why.

It was simple as connecting the midi out on the ultra back into the computer. I know this seems obvious but I didn't need to run it this way before.

This was the facepalm I didn't think I had to do.

There seemed to be enough hand shaking coming back through the midi in on the Ultra. Has something changed in the later versions of axe edit.

Have I missed a new setting (axeII related) that changes things.

Gonna make myself a tinfoil hat willowdale:mrgreen

There wouldn't have been 2-way communication with only 1 cable, but it was easier to get into a functional 1-way edit mode with earlier versions. You could just select the out port & work with whatever presets/banks you had on the computer. Now it endlessly sends the model/firmware request even if you don't have a MIDI in port selected, and it will perform some functions like placing/editing blocks but not loading full presets.

It's a hassle (pointless if you have a second cable & MIDI in available) but there still is a way to get full edit ability w/ 1 cable: If you connect as if doing a loopback test (ends of a single cable to MIDI in & out of soundcard) and select both ports (in & out) in MIDI config it will say "hardware not detected" and stop the request. Then you can unplug from the in port and connect to the Axe-FX in and send/edit presets.

There wouldn't have been 2-way communication with only 1 cable, but it was easier to get into a functional 1-way edit mode with earlier versions. You could just select the out port & work with whatever presets/banks you had on the computer. Now it endlessly sends the model/firmware request even if you don't have a MIDI in port selected, and it will perform some functions like placing/editing blocks but not loading full presets.

It's a hassle (pointless if you have a second cable & MIDI in available) but there still is a way to get full edit ability w/ 1 cable: If you connect as if doing a loopback test (ends of a single cable to MIDI in & out of soundcard) and select both ports (in & out) in MIDI config it will say "hardware not detected" and stop the request. Then you can unplug from the in port and connect to the Axe-FX in and send/edit presets.

Thanks for the reply and help. No big deal to run the 2 cables but I did find it convienient to run a keyboard into the midi in on the computer from time to time. I may try your suggestion if I need to do this sometime in the future. Once again, thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom