yesterdays garbage=todays gold

RDeraz

Experienced
interesting phenomenon among guitar players,especially concerning stompboxes.
i have played through my fair share of stomps through the years(started playing in 1980)kind of the super decade for them.
the thing i find interesting,i remember guitar friends giving away these coveted stompers of today.you have to remem. rack systems started coming in mid decade and if you had boxes on the floor inevitably you would hear"DUDE!!your like analogman,get some digital gear".
because of this i have ended up with an interesting collection of stomps.all for free or trade.

big muff pi-2 of them.late 80's they were being used as doorstops.

rotosound fuzz box-had no idea what it was(google images helped with ident.)somebody left a box of old cables,10 shure sm 57's,an old vocal master head,and the big ass orange effect,outside our rehearsal space.guess they were throwing it out and figured we could use it.the lettering was all worn away,i used to call it the orange mystery box.had a blast with this one,wide open it sounded like a B-17 flying fortress thundering down the runway.

ibanez ts-9-another freebie.an original 79 or 80,81?.when all the new metal style boxes came out the old ts-9 usually ended up in a basement or attic box stored away from sight.then SRV used them and the price went up to $200 or $300.ibanez smelled dough and brought it back into production.

dod compressor 280-guitar buddy had it in an old tackle box."does it work?"......reply"maybe"."can i check it out"...."pffft,you can keep it."

ibanez pt9 phaser-basement box category.traded for an old pickup.cool little phaser with an adjustable sweep inside next to the battery compartment.

dod american metal-never got on with this one,but who am i to turn away for free.still have it in my own basement box.

pro co rat-liked this pedal into a Marshall.really made it grind.by the mid 90's people were latching onto old Big Muffs,no use for the old rat."how much you want for it?"....reply.."i don't use it anymore,take it."

point being,guitar players were basically throwing these effects out.then nostalgia kicks in and it's gold again.:)

so anybody else have a good garbage to gold story?

Last edited:
I found a Boss HyperFuzz somewhere years ago. Not sure how it even came into my possession. I tried it into my Fender DeVille I had at the time and HATED it. But about two years ago I started playing bass for a prog rock band and decided to break out all of the old gear I had stored away to try it out. Well it sounded AMAZING on the bass! Very Type O Negative bass sound with tons of hair on the top end that really helped fit it in with guitars and drums.

Back
Top Bottom