Yamaha S115V Speakers

RCSea

My band has used two Yamaha S115V for PA speakers for a few years (w/ a Mackie 16-channel board and a Behringer europower ep2500). I just got my Ultra about a week ago to replace the Vetta II head that I had been using, and I'm trying to just get used to the tonal differences. But I know I always have to bump the highs up and the lows down on the mixer's guitar channel more than a bit with the Vetta to get it to sound right though our PA.

Anyway tonight I tried hooking my Axe up directly to the PA amp to hear what i sounded like going to those speakers. I was definitely underwhelmed. I was only using a bunch of factory presets that I seem to be gravitating towards since I don't have a great FRFR solution yet to build my own (I was hoping these might be the answer). But they all sounded muddy and, for lack of a better term, bleeeech. The Mark IV lead preset was OK-ish, but the Dual Rack Preamps (the brit pre & usa lead 2 pre), the basic orange recto 1, the EVH amp preset (think its called Fat solo 2 or something) and a few other similar ones were all pretty horrible, very muffled. I didn't run through the mixer board so I didn't have a chance to set an eq like my Vetta's, but I suspect I would have had to do the same thing again (boost the High knob and turn down the Low knob)

Has anyone else used these speakers with their Axe? Are they just a bad match for the Axe (and Vetta, for that matter), or do those presets just sound somewhat muddy out of the box and without some EQ the 15" speakers exacerbate that?

Just for kicks I plugged the Axe into my home stereo and these same presets sounded a hell of a lot better that way (Yes, I know, this isn't ideal, but I do have a pretty nice and well balanced setup) and some of them sound pretty damn amazing using my Sony MDR 7506 'studio monitor' headphones off the stereo). So I think maybe the Yamahas are not so good for my Axe. This is disappointing given there are a ton of great reviews for these speakers on all the sites you can buy them. I guess I don't believe some of those reviews though, since they claim they sound great for DJing without a subwoofer, yet their freq response only goes to 55Hz (which is also a little suprising given the 15" speaker), which makes me think they know don't know what their own program material is supposed to sound like, and maybe Yamaha is boosting some of the lower freqs to make up for the lack of sub bottom.

I'm also worried a little if a lot of clubs use 15" speakers like these for their FOH? Has anyone heard their rig at a club from the audience side of things and seen what the sound guy did with the EQ on his end?

i haven't had much luck using those speakers, i find you have to EQ the hell out of vocals and guitars to make it sound decent. i'd recommend Mackie HD speakers, QSC or MAYBE FBT (can't really try out FBT's as we don't have dealers yet)

I strongly recommend making a preset of your own. Just take one you hate and get rid of everything on it then put in an amp block and a cab block only and tweak it to taste. You should be able to get something 'alive' sounding in the range of what ever kind of amp sound you are looking for unless those speakers are truly defective. Of course just because you can make a preset that works doesn't mean you should keep the speakers but I'd go nuts if I had to play my Axe sounding the way you describe it, at least you'll be able to play until you get different speakers.

I use a speaker processor with my PA, set to give a flat response from the powered speakers. The difference in sound compared to not using the speaker processor is significant. I haven't had a chance to pull the equipment off the trailer and set it up with my Ultra yet, but I fully expect the same type of difference. If so, I'm going to see if it is possible to program the EQ settings into my Ultra, although the speaker processor has a 9-band parametric EQ that I use for this, so it is a bit more flexible in this regard.

The advantage that the speaker processor has is a real-time analyzer, so if you set up the speaker and reference mic correctly you can just deal with the frequency response of the amp and speaker, not the room. The RTA sets the graphic EQ for a flat response, and I manually transfer that to the PEQ, saving the GEQ to deal with venue-specific adjustments. It may be possible to use something like Room EQ Wizard to do the same thing.

I guess what I'm saying is that it should be worth your time to generate a response curve for your S115V. That will help you set up the EQ in your Ultra for the best response. If you're still not happy with the results, then it would be time to start thinking about upgrading to a better amp and speaker (I personally prefer powered speakers).

Back
Top Bottom