Yamaha s H8S or Neumann KH120

Being double the price I am sure there would be some improvement in sound

One would think that...
I had HS8's

Bought a pair of Neumann's (KH120)

Were lackluster, unimpressive, unremarkable. Tried them for a month... Ran axe fx into it, ran keyboards/rack keyboards into it/ran computers/music/audio interface through it- not impressed.

Threw them back in the box and sold them.

I made a few posts in the past about them and about my experience with them.

BUT anyway- the HS8's stayed and Neumann's left...

SO- twice the price/expensive sounds better but- really they weren't great at all.

Only thing I could say was there was a lot of sound in the small boxes but- it wasn't very good.

To be really specific- I felt they didn't really reproduce the sound accurately.
The Yamaha's have seperation- I can FEEL the multiple tracks in a multi track recording
the Neumann's just blended it all and felt like it was lazy reproducing the sound.

I think Michael Jackson's recordings sound perfect- so I always test stuff like the Thriller album

Human Nature for example- I know how that sound SHOULD sound... the HS8's it just makes it alive and you can hear the shakers of the rhythm track like someone is shaking it in front of you in the same room. The KH120's just sounded like it was giving you the sound but didn't really care about putting it out there with quality and separation.

SO just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's better. OR because it's twice the price it makes you want it twice as much.
SO after my own experience- the GENELEC ain't bad in this range

BUT I still go with the Yamaha

I have two Q12As that I use for the rehearses and for gigs in small pubs. They are great for live purposes because you can put them behind you on a table and use them like you would use guitar cabs. They have a pressure in the mids that's unique for FRFR stuff and I like that. But such stuff isn't a replacement for a studio monitor.
A cab that can be taken to tweak at low volumes but can also be used live is the RCF 310a. Remember that bigger monitors like the RCF 412a or the 712a display the lows better and even cheap studio monitors like the JBL Lsr 305 are better for bedroom tweaking. There's special stuff for every purpose available.

One would think that...
I had HS8's

Bought a pair of Neumann's (KH120)

Were lackluster, unimpressive, unremarkable. Tried them for a month... Ran axe fx into it, ran keyboards/rack keyboards into it/ran computers/music/audio interface through it- not impressed.

Threw them back in the box and sold them.

I made a few posts in the past about them and about my experience with them.

BUT anyway- the HS8's stayed and Neumann's left...

SO- twice the price/expensive sounds better but- really they weren't great at all.

Only thing I could say was there was a lot of sound in the small boxes but- it wasn't very good.

To be really specific- I felt they didn't really reproduce the sound accurately.
The Yamaha's have seperation- I can FEEL the multiple tracks in a multi track recording
the Neumann's just blended it all and felt like it was lazy reproducing the sound.

I think Michael Jackson's recordings sound perfect- so I always test stuff like the Thriller album

Human Nature for example- I know how that sound SHOULD sound... the HS8's it just makes it alive and you can hear the shakers of the rhythm track like someone is shaking it in front of you in the same room. The KH120's just sounded like it was giving you the sound but didn't really care about putting it out there with quality and separation.

SO just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's better. OR because it's twice the price it makes you want it twice as much.
SO after my own experience- the GENELEC ain't bad in this range

BUT I still go with the Yamaha
Thanks ,
Really really useful answer ....
What Genelec do you advise ....
If I want 8" with neumannn , KH310 our out of price....

The Genelec many friends of mine is the 5" one that's the same price as the neumann- 8030b I think

BUT- I'm only mentioning based on so many recommendations- no one really recommended me neumanns before I had them but I saw them asked about on this forum alot.

BUT from personal experience nothing beats my hs8's

I compared it to everything at the time and did a lot of homework.

The HS5's were good. But the HS8's were better

The HS7's were cool BUT compared to the hs5 or hs8 they weren't the perfect inbetween i expected them to be.

I have a pair of ADAM F5 too
AND honestly the Adam F5's were better than the Neumann

BUT keep in mind- i'd go with an Adam A7x before a neumann for sure- and maybe before a genelec- I don't know.

I just want to make it clear how lackluster the neumann's were for me.

The Genelec many friends of mine is the 5" one that's the same price as the neumann- 8030b I think

BUT- I'm only mentioning based on so many recommendations- no one really recommended me neumanns before I had them but I saw them asked about on this forum alot.

BUT from personal experience nothing beats my hs8's

I compared it to everything at the time and did a lot of homework.

The HS5's were good. But the HS8's were better

The HS7's were cool BUT compared to the hs5 or hs8 they weren't the perfect inbetween i expected them to be.

I have a pair of ADAM F5 too
AND honestly the Adam F5's were better than the Neumann

BUT keep in mind- i'd go with an Adam A7x before a neumann for sure- and maybe before a genelec- I don't know.

I just want to make it clear how lackluster the neumann's were for me.
An other helpful answer....
I would say that I like my H8S but thought that if I could have more .... "flat" monitors it would be better for the axe s sound....
Unfortunately I can t test all these products , that s why I m asking everyone opinion and experience because when you spend a huge amount of money you don t want to be disappointed of course... but I also thought that heavier prices mean better quality, Neumann, JBL , Adam.....are well known with reputation.....

I have a huge, large , powerful sound for my room with H8S , maybe with too much bass , I need to compare for mids if the Yamaha s are not flat on mids.....

You can probably get a flatter monitor than the HS8s but I don't think it will help you get any better tone. Unless you have already treated your room you aren't going to get a flat response no matter what kind of monitor you use.
Plus flatness is overrated anyway, your music wont be played on flat monitors so in order to see if your mix is good you need to listen to it on multiple systems anyway. The important thing as that you LEARN how your monitors and your room sound compared to the real world playback systems. The HS8s are flat enough to make pro level mixes.

You can probably get a flatter monitor than the HS8s but I don't think it will help you get any better tone. Unless you have already treated your room you aren't going to get a flat response no matter what kind of monitor you use.
Plus flatness is overrated anyway, your music wont be played on flat monitors so in order to see if your mix is good you need to listen to it on multiple systems anyway. The important thing as that you LEARN how your monitors and your room sound compared to the real world playback systems. The HS8s are flat enough to make pro level mixes.
Hi
Thanks for your help
I thought everyone who has a fractal or else product was searching for flat response in order to have no coloration on sound.....
I m not able to treat my music room as it s not my apartment
I wish I had opportunity to test my axe and my sounds on other monitors and also on matrix Q12 or CLR .... but no possibility....

Hi
Thanks for your help
I thought everyone who has a fractal or else product was searching for flat response in order to have no coloration on sound.....
I m not able to treat my music room as it s not my apartment
I wish I had opportunity to test my axe and my sounds on other monitors and also on matrix Q12 or CLR .... but no possibility....
Flatter is better in general, I just think it's overblown. The HS8s are plenty flat enough!
Also, I totally understand not being able to treat your room, I don't have any treatment in my room either, but buying flatter monitors would be like buying a Ferrari to drive in New York. It looks cool as hell but won't give you any more performance than a Ford Focus in traffic.
I would just stick with what you have, especially if you don't have issues with your sound.

Flatter is better in general, I just think it's overblown. The HS8s are plenty flat enough!
Also, I totally understand not being able to treat your room, I don't have any treatment in my room either, but buying flatter monitors would be like buying a Ferrari to drive in New York. It looks cool as hell but won't give you any more performance than a Ford Focus in traffic.
I would just stick with what you have, especially if you don't have issues with your sound.
I see ... I began thinking of changing the Yamaha s because it s the parameter you can modify to upgrade the axe sound
The axe as firmware to give us better results each time....

I see ... I began thinking of changing the Yamaha s because it s the parameter you can modify to upgrade the axe sound
The axe as firmware to give us better results each time....

Are you mixing recordings, just trying to get great sound in your home or setting up for playing live? Also, do you need to stay under a certain volume when you play? How big is your room?

I just want to have the best sound at home as possible; when I play with band use PA,
My music room is normal bed room size , I can play at loud volume without problem on journey ,
I have no problem to push the H8S to 4db.....

I use my H8s for the Axe and listen to music, I also put backing tracks and play on them...,no audio mixing, recording.,,,

I have a huge, large , powerful sound for my room with H8S , maybe with too much bass , I need to compare for mids if the Yamaha s are not flat on mids.....

There's so many options on the back that you can dial it in perfect

And- really... while monitors are supposed to be flat- remember- we only need flatness so we can mix, and master and tweak- but really after that it's going into peoples cars, shitty laptops, cell phones- shitty youtube quality etc.... so...

And- last.
The most expensive monitors sweetwater has is $20,000 a pair.
They might be nice, but are there more than 25 people in the last 3 years to make more than $20,000 on album sales in their pocket? probably not

Back
Top Bottom