Yamaha HS8S Sub w/ JBL 305 and Axe

Currently I am running a set of JBL 305's with my Axe FX II. (My Yamaha HS8 monitors are in storage 3000 miles away).

I am struggling with the 305's with low end with anything tuned to drop C or below. It just sounds flubby and no clarity at all.

My question is if I add a Yamaha HS8S sub to the setup am I causing problems when it comes to mixing because I have the sub? I realize it will pull the low frequecies out of the 305's and therefore clean up the sound...

Just don't want to create new issues by adding a sub. Obviously my main guitar rig doesn't have a sub... (I am no Steph Carpenter.)

Thoughts would be helpful.

A sub is not going to fix that. If anything, you'll be adding to the problem. Subs are a dangerous thing in improperly treated rooms.

This room is most definately improperly treated. Its an apartment room with windows, and a very odd shape. Good to know. I have been working with some EQ's and that seems to be helping.

Factory presets are not my friend.

Hey there!
So, thought I'd share some of what I've learned over the years as regards recording low-tuned guitars. Speaking for myself, in the last 10 years or so I've found that recording without a sub has made my mixes translate better in general. If my guitar gets outta control on the low-end, I either run a low cut on the input channel or, in the case of the Axe Fx, cut the low-end there instead. You'll want to get your guitar out of the same sonic space as the kick drum, bass guitar, and, the low-end frequencies of certain drums (low-end on bigger mounted toms, floor toms, etc). After cutting the low-end on your guitar, it can feel not-so-fun to play with the reduction in oomph (especially if the riff is on the chuggy side) but, you'll find that you've got sonic space for kick drums to be bigger/more upfront and the bass guitar has sonic space to really reinforce the backbone of the tune. The tones I like to jam on when I'm writing riffs usually go to s**t if I try and use them in a full mix.

Now, about that sub. I turn on my sub for spot checks on the low-end. I jut want to make sure I've not gone bonkers with low frequencies when mixing without the sub and that everything is clean and not falling apart on the low-end. Other than that, I'll turn on the sub when I'm done with a tune to jam out with it and enjoy what I've just recorded.

By the way, my tunings range from low F up to drop C, and I play everything from standard scale guitars to baritone guitars.

Anyhoo, that's what works for me at least.

Cheers!
R

Hey there!
So, thought I'd share some of what I've learned over the years as regards recording low-tuned guitars. Speaking for myself, in the last 10 years or so I've found that recording without a sub has made my mixes translate better in general. If my guitar gets outta control on the low-end, I either run a low cut on the input channel or, in the case of the Axe Fx, cut the low-end there instead. You'll want to get your guitar out of the same sonic space as the kick drum, bass guitar, and, the low-end frequencies of certain drums (low-end on bigger mounted toms, floor toms, etc). After cutting the low-end on your guitar, it can feel not-so-fun to play with the reduction in oomph (especially if the riff is on the chuggy side) but, you'll find that you've got sonic space for kick drums to be bigger/more upfront and the bass guitar has sonic space to really reinforce the backbone of the tune. The tones I like to jam on when I'm writing riffs usually go to s**t if I try and use them in a full mix.

Now, about that sub. I turn on my sub for spot checks on the low-end. I jut want to make sure I've not gone bonkers with low frequencies when mixing without the sub and that everything is clean and not falling apart on the low-end. Other than that, I'll turn on the sub when I'm done with a tune to jam out with it and enjoy what I've just recorded.

By the way, my tunings range from low F up to drop C, and I play everything from standard scale guitars to baritone guitars.

Anyhoo, that's what works for me at least.

Cheers!
R

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.

How is your room treated? Do you at least have panels opposite your monitors and at the first reflection point along the long wall? Did you measure out your listening position, or just eye ball it? I could go on... corners need treatment, a cloud above the mixing position...

raymitchell's post is pretty spot-on, too. Adding a sub where you're already having issues with lows will only make your headaches worse.

Are you saying your recordings are flubby, but the monitored tone is not?

I have a pair of the LSr305 and they can add a lot of boomy lows if they are too close to a backplane, the rear fire ports respond quite linerally to distance from objects. I did add a Yamaha sub to the mix, and used the hi/low cuts on the JBLs, and it helped a bit with low definition, but I am not recording. I also make sure to use them in +4db mode with my AX8 sening the +4db signal to them.

Back
Top Bottom