Yamaha HS8 monitors or Orange PPC212 with Axe Fx II XL?

Steveche

What do you guys prefer, using computer monitors or an actual cab with your Axe Fx? I know this topic has been discussed before, but I'm specifically looking for your opinions between using Yamaha HS8's or an Orange PPC212 (closed back, V30s). I've been using an Orange PPC212 with my Matrix GT1000FX for the first 10 months I've had my Axe Fx II XL, however, I just bought Yamaha HS8's, mainly for recording b/c I just got Pro Tools, but the Axe sounds nice through the monitors.

Both the PPC212 and HS8's go to 120 watts, so the monitors pretty much go loud enough to give me an "amp in the room" type of feel (if I need to play that loud at home). I'm now experiencing what it's like to play in stereo, it's like entering a whole new world!

However, I was wondering:
1) Will playing my guitar through my monitors damage them?
2) Will I be missing out on any frequencies for guitar tone since the lows don't extend as low on the HS8's, versus a real cab like my PPC212 (I have no idea, this is just my assumption)?
3) If I use the HS8's, how do I control clipping of the signal going into the monitors (so they don't "distort")? As long as the preset's output 1 is not clipping, I'm fine?
4) Should I sell my Orange PPC212? I still have an Orange PPC412 at my band's rehearsal space. I bought my HS8's used for $650 CAD, and already have an offer of $700 CAD for my PPC212.

Just to note, I've always been pretty happy with my tones going from Axe II XL --> Matrix GT1000FX --> Orange PPC212. But it felt more organic and reactive to feel / pickups when I went direct into the monitors. May be placebo to a certain extent, but this process has definitely got me thinking of potentially selling my cabs and getting a FRFR 212 cab (matrix or atomic I guess). I play mostly high gain with my band (ie 5150), but like to play with a variety of tones at home.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate all the advice I get from the community here!

Last edited:
Computer monitors at home - I can try out cabs, etc.

I'm an FRFR guy too though - I just don't like being tethered to a single cab's EQ.

I have the hs8 and I play my axe through them all the time but I also play through amp and cab for gigs...if your not a gigging musician and just want to record or jam at home the hs8 are great for that.

I have the hs8 and I play my axe through them all the time but I also play through amp and cab for gigs...if your not a gigging musician and just want to record or jam at home the hs8 are great for that.

Yeah, like I said, I've been using my Axe through Matrix GT1000FX amplifier --> Orange PPC412 and PPC212 for the last 10 months, both at home and gigs. Considering selling the PPC212 at home b/c of my new HS8's, but wondering if there's any downfall to using the monitors.

I'm recording and playing home through HS7 and am quite satisfied !
I don't know if I'll get the overpriced subwoofer in the future.

I'm not currently gigging out so I don't really ask myself, if I do it'll be through PA or I'll see then :D

I think I'm going to be a 95% headphone user if life goes on as it should (you guess what I mean)

My do's and don'ts..

Firstly, a quick acknowledgement.. The Yamahas are FRFR, whereas the OJ is a normal cab; so you're not really comparing apples with apples as per'se. Can you use the HS8s for gigs? No, probably not. At home, in my spare room, I've got Yamaha HS5's which are great for recording, home practise, messing around with patches etc. At band prac, I alternate between using the Axe-ii with my Friedman FRFR wedge, or sometimes I'll run the Axe-ii via the return of my 120w valve head and use my custom 2x12 cab. THAT WAY, I tick both boxes; the 'FRFR setup' and the 'real amp+cab' setup.

Don't sell the OJ cab unless you're desperate for $. (sell the 4x12 instead, you'll still get more than ample sound and power from a 2x12 loaded with V30s. I used to have an OJ 2x12 which I regretted selling ever since. But that's my story). OJ cabs are big and heavier than a lot of other cabs out there so lugging a 2x12 around is much more easier than a 50kg 4x12 version. I reckon OJ cabs are the best.
Don't just stick to playing the OJ cabs + Matrix, experiment more with other FRFR speakers/cabs out there. If a part of you prefers that 'real cab' feel and sound, coz to me it kinda sounds like you do, so your ears may prefer something that still sounds 'more real' than other FRFR setups maybe..? People have heard me rave and rant about that Friedman ASM-12, but that thing does the perfect blend of FRFR and real cab. Being a hi-gain player like yourself, you may really like the FRFR thing, but that depends on what FRFR speaker/cab you get.

DO's..
- Play more FRFR setups if you can. Different people will give you mixed opinions based on their experiences, just like I'm giving you mine.
- Keep what gear you can once you've properly gone through a process of elimination. By doing that, you'll work out what is worth keeping and what is not. Again, personally, if you can have two independent rigs (an FRFR one and a real amp+cab one), you'll never get bored and you'll always have the flexibility of using both.
- Keep one of the OJ cabs if you can.. If/when you've bought a good FRFR speaker, then have a think about selling one, or both. Look at it like this, the money that you get for selling one of your OJ cabs will free-up some $$ for your FRFR purchase..

Before you ask the forum family about which FRFR speakers/cab/wedges they prefer, I'd suggest you play a good handful of the most popular ones (if you can) and gauge from that experience. Some patches will sound good through one FRFR setup, and the next will sound crap. There's no harm in rushing this decision; if anything, take your time, play as many as you can, and go from there.

LAST NOTE from me.. I've played Matrix gear (power amps and speaker cabs), Atomic CLR (was not a fan at all), RCF, and some Alto's which were actually really good, but the clear winner for me, by far was the Friedman ASM-12 wedge. Does the perfect blend of FRFR and real cab thing better than anything IMO.

Good luck, sorry to confuse if I did!!

Why could he not use the hs8 for gigging except if you talk about loudness ?
Cheers

My do's and don'ts..

Firstly, a quick acknowledgement.. The Yamahas are FRFR, whereas the OJ is a normal cab; so you're not really comparing apples with apples as per'se. Can you use the HS8s for gigs? No, probably not. At home, in my spare room, I've got Yamaha HS5's which are great for recording, home practise, messing around with patches etc. At band prac, I alternate between using the Axe-ii with my Friedman FRFR wedge, or sometimes I'll run the Axe-ii via the return of my 120w valve head and use my custom 2x12 cab. THAT WAY, I tick both boxes; the 'FRFR setup' and the 'real amp+cab' setup.

Don't sell the OJ cab unless you're desperate for $. (sell the 4x12 instead, you'll still get more than ample sound and power from a 2x12 loaded with V30s. I used to have an OJ 2x12 which I regretted selling ever since. But that's my story). OJ cabs are big and heavier than a lot of other cabs out there so lugging a 2x12 around is much more easier than a 50kg 4x12 version. I reckon OJ cabs are the best.
Don't just stick to playing the OJ cabs + Matrix, experiment more with other FRFR speakers/cabs out there. If a part of you prefers that 'real cab' feel and sound, coz to me it kinda sounds like you do, so your ears may prefer something that still sounds 'more real' than other FRFR setups maybe..? People have heard me rave and rant about that Friedman ASM-12, but that thing does the perfect blend of FRFR and real cab. Being a hi-gain player like yourself, you may really like the FRFR thing, but that depends on what FRFR speaker/cab you get.

DO's..
- Play more FRFR setups if you can. Different people will give you mixed opinions based on their experiences, just like I'm giving you mine.
- Keep what gear you can once you've properly gone through a process of elimination. By doing that, you'll work out what is worth keeping and what is not. Again, personally, if you can have two independent rigs (an FRFR one and a real amp+cab one), you'll never get bored and you'll always have the flexibility of using both.
- Keep one of the OJ cabs if you can.. If/when you've bought a good FRFR speaker, then have a think about selling one, or both. Look at it like this, the money that you get for selling one of your OJ cabs will free-up some $$ for your FRFR purchase..

Before you ask the forum family about which FRFR speakers/cab/wedges they prefer, I'd suggest you play a good handful of the most popular ones (if you can) and gauge from that experience. Some patches will sound good through one FRFR setup, and the next will sound crap. There's no harm in rushing this decision; if anything, take your time, play as many as you can, and go from there.

LAST NOTE from me.. I've played Matrix gear (power amps and speaker cabs), Atomic CLR (was not a fan at all), RCF, and some Alto's which were actually really good, but the clear winner for me, by far was the Friedman ASM-12 wedge. Does the perfect blend of FRFR and real cab thing better than anything IMO.

Good luck, sorry to confuse if I did!!

Thanks for your opinion, very thorough!

With the HS8's, how do I control clipping of the signal going into the monitors? As long as the preset's output 1 is not clipping, I'm fine?

Do we miss out on any frequencies for guitar tone when using the HS8's / other monitors vs. a cab?

What do you guys prefer, using computer monitors or an actual cab with your Axe Fx? I know this topic has been discussed before, but I'm specifically looking for your opinions between using Yamaha HS8's or an Orange PPC212 (closed back, V30s). I've been using an Orange PPC212 with my Matrix GT1000FX for the first 10 months I've had my Axe Fx II XL, however, I just bought Yamaha HS8's, mainly for recording b/c I just got Pro Tools, but the Axe sounds nice through the monitors.

Both the PPC212 and HS8's go to 120 watts, so the monitors pretty much go loud enough to give me an "amp in the room" type of feel (if I need to play that loud at home). I'm now experiencing what it's like to play in stereo, it's like entering a whole new world!

However, I was wondering:
1) Will playing my guitar through my monitors damage them?
2) Will I be missing out on any frequencies for guitar tone since the lows don't extend as low on the HS8's, versus a real cab like my PPC212 (I have no idea, this is just my assumption)?
3) If I use the HS8's, how do I control clipping of the signal going into the monitors (so they don't "distort")? As long as the preset's output 1 is not clipping, I'm fine?
4) Should I sell my Orange PPC212? I still have an Orange PPC412 at my band's rehearsal space. I bought my HS8's used for $650 CAD, and already have an offer of $700 CAD for my PPC212.

Just to note, I've always been pretty happy with my tones going from Axe II XL --> Matrix GT1000FX --> Orange PPC212. But it felt more organic and reactive to feel / pickups when I went direct into the monitors. May be placebo to a certain extent, but this process has definitely got me thinking of potentially selling my cabs and getting a FRFR 212 cab (matrix or atomic I guess). I play mostly high gain with my band (ie 5150), but like to play with a variety of tones at home.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate all the advice I get from the community here!

IMO the two are not equal...
playing through the monitors will not damage them...in the context of your home...playing a gig would not be the same. You would inherently do your own damage control when they got loud and raspy..

yes, frequencies and tones are different. Sub woofers have to be added for example. The individual speakers in the monitors are designed to balance.... mid to high range with low range bottoming out in capability. The orange is doubling down on only the tone ranges of one speaker...that has a very large sweet spot..
I can't decide..one part of me says..you never sell your gear....another says sell the gear if it's not right for you..but don't do so desperately

at home...the monitors at a respectable prudent volume
in the band...use the muscle...

Last edited:
I'm recording and playing home through HS7 and am quite satisfied !
I don't know if I'll get the overpriced subwoofer in the future.

I'm not currently gigging out so I don't really ask myself, if I do it'll be through PA or I'll see then :D

I think I'm going to be a 95% headphone user if life goes on as it should (you guess what I mean)
Hurts your head and ears when you wear them too long. I have experienced ear fatigue also. Discomfort from the speaker angle directly into the ear. Uncomfortable equalibrium discomforts caused by stereo sound shifts, whales, wobbles....etc processor effects

Back
Top Bottom