Yamaha HS7/8 or KRK 6/8 Studio Monitors

malcolm86

Hi All

After 2 years of saving and selling off all my pedals and a nice Marshall JVM 410 I am almost at the point where I will be purchasing a AxeFX 2, I'm on the waiting list and just waiting on the call that they are in stock again.

I no longer gig anymore so I will be using the Axe 100% at my home. I would also like to get into recording some guitar tracks etc so I am thinking that I will head down the Studio Monitor route for amplification.

I have seen a couple of studio monitors that are in my price range, the Yamaha HS series and the KRK Rokit's. The HS series get's a great write up.

I haven't got a dedicated studio room so mostly will be bedroom playing. My feeling is the 8's will be too big and the 5's too small, so my view is that the HS 7/or the Rokit 6 will be the best buy for me.

Is anyone out there using their AxeFX with either the Yamaha HS7/KRK Rokit 6 and finding that they sound amazing with enough bass response for both clean, edge of breakup, and higher gain sounds?

or would you advise going for the 8's for the additional bass response?

Last edited:
The KRK 8s are good for bedroom use IMHO. I have a pair that I used every day and loved with the AXE ... until I went for a pair of CLRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW,

I am using the Yamaha HS8.
I do not think they are too large for a small room from my experience. I tried a few different sets & settled in with these & am happy. I have no experience with the KRKs though.

The KRK 8s are good for bedroom use IMHO. I have a pair that I used every day and loved with the AXE ... until I went for a pair of CLRs.

Which KRK 8's did you have and how similar or different did they sound from the CLR's?

As someone who has hs80's I would have loved to start and try out the hs50's first. I too just have a spare room as my little studio. I don't think I needed the HS80's. But alas Ive never really tried the smaller ones...

Which KRK 8's did you have and how similar or different did they sound from the CLR's?

These ... which are probably discontinued now:

KRK RP8G2 Rokit G2 Active Monitor at zZounds

There is no comparing them with the CLRs - they are in a different market space altogether.

I was very happy with my AXE through the 70w KRKs for my studio, but wanted something more for larger-sized studio jams and small venue gigs. My two 500w lightweight CLR NEOs more than fit the bill.

CLRs sound incredible, flat, responsive and with a wide dispersion so your band mates will have no problem hearing you in the mix. They are ideal for dialing in your preset tones at gig volumes too - not something most bedroom players can get away with without alienating friends, family and neighbors. :lol

Of course, they are also about 10 times the price you would pay for a pair of KRK 8's. :)

I'd love to hear the Yamahas too - how do they stack up to the KRKs?

Thanks for all your responses. I'm hearing and reading nothing but good things about the Yamaha HS monitors. My local music store only has the HS8's so I can't compare to the 7's.

I compared both HS8 and RP8G2 when i bought my Krks...
For me the Krks have sweeter highs and more bass, but if you look for the flatter response, the Yamahas are definitely flatter.

I had the krk rockit 8 gen2 for about a year and now use yamaha hs80. I found the krk to have an overhyped muddy bass and subdued mids. While they may have been a little easier to listen to for long periods, I much prefer the clarity and up front mids of the yamahas. Also, I had an issue with the krk cabinets making noise as they heated up...the plastic made cracking noises that were distracting. The yamahas have enough bass for my needs and I don't feel the need for a sub.

These ... which are probably discontinued now:

KRK RP8G2 Rokit G2 Active Monitor at zZounds

There is no comparing them with the CLRs - they are in a different market space altogether.

I was very happy with my AXE through the 70w KRKs for my studio, but wanted something more for larger-sized studio jams and small venue gigs. My two 500w lightweight CLR NEOs more than fit the bill.

CLRs sound incredible, flat, responsive and with a wide dispersion so your band mates will have no problem hearing you in the mix. They are ideal for dialing in your preset tones at gig volumes too - not something most bedroom players can get away with without alienating friends, family and neighbors. :lol

Of course, they are also about 10 times the price you would pay for a pair of KRK 8's. :)

I'd love to hear the Yamahas too - how do they stack up to the KRKs?
I have the same KRK's. What I was wondering is how well your tones translated from the KRK's to the CLR? Do tones sounds the same switching back and forth or do they sound completely different?

I tried out the HS7 in a music store but with recorded music and they sounded good. Has anyone compared these to the Equator D5s ? Slightly more expensive over in the UK but I won't be able to test a pair.....

Back
Top Bottom