Yamaha DXR-10 Line Noise Compared to a K10

RossE

Inspired
Tested a DXR10 today against a QSC K10. I used AX8 OUT 1 TS to DXR10 channel 2 L (mono) input and to the channel A input on the K10. This setup was quiet as a church mouse connected to the K10. No sound until I hit a string. With the exact same setup the DXR10 had a constant line noise buzz. Not bad, but bad enough. I like the sound of the DXR10 a lot, but the line noise would be a deal killer.

Have any of you DXR10 users experienced this? Maybe a bad unit, or is that normal for a DXR10?

If you unplug the TS from the DXR10, is there still a buzz? I ask because if there is still a noise with nothing plugged in, it's probably the DXR10 at fault. If the buzz goes away when you unplug the TS, I'd guess the DXR is amplifying whatever noise is being fed into it upstream (i.e., the cable). Also, are you powering the DXR and K10 from the same electrical outlet (to rule out the possibility that you might be causing a ground loop with one, but not the other)?

I use a pair of DXR10s with the PA, and there's no buzz. But I'm using XLR cables. Maybe try a different cable?

This is known problem with DXR10 when using an unbalanced TS-jack connection.

There is a simple solution. That is to put a dummy TS-jack in the R connection on the DXR10 also. That will remove the hum.

Desmo808.....yes both plugged into the same power strip. Noise goes away when TS unplugged from DXR10. Sounds like Sustainplayer, has my answer. Thanks for your input though.

Sustainplayer thanks much. Just what I hoped for....a known issue with a workaround. I will test with a dummy TS plug.

I have two DXR10s for running stereo. The FXIII goes into a Focusrite Scarlet and Scarlet outs to the Yamahas. I am using the DXR10s in a studio setting and there was an annoying buzz from the speakers. I used an Ebtech Hum Eliminator between the Scarlett and the Yamahas and all is quiet now.

Sustainplayer thanks much. Just what I hoped for....a known issue with a workaround. I will test with a dummy TS plug.

Did it work? I'm about to receive mine, so I am interested about the solution for this potential problem :) Thanks

Try one of those $1 grey ground lift plugs you get at a hardware store.. I use them on my Mackie studio monitors, as they have a slight buzz.

Back
Top Bottom