Yamaha DHR

Chasing FRFR's is liable to be a never-ending process. For me, sound and flexibility are #1 priorities. I want to be able to use it as a floor monitor, backline, or whatever. Having storeable presets for EQ, low cut, etc. is really helpful. But above all, does it sound comparable to my studio monitors, just at a higher volume level, and is the dispersion wide and not too frequency-dependent?

If that form factor and feature set are what you're after, your best bet is to try it out and see if it sounds inspiring to you. If not, try something else. Try two+ options at a time and have somebody help you do a blind listening test to see if you have a preference.

Yes... these monitors are FRFR - they can even be used as mains in smaller venues.
Coaxial speakers have advantages with dispersion (eg width of full range sound projection).
The DSP functionality also optimizes the drivers -

I'd be quite happy to have the EV PXM-12MP (or a pair!) for my AXE-III

I’ve been looking into one of these vs. an EV PXM-12MP… Are these speakers FRFR?
"FRFR" is not a specification, it's a marketing term. The EV PXM-12MP has as flat a response as any high-end "FRFR", and sounds great with my Fractals. Search the forum for "PXM-12MP" and you'll find several threads about them. They seem to be getting quite popular.

The RED SOUND MF-10s are also a more traditional cabinet that sounds great.

So you think it’s fine as long as you don’t run it in guitar cab mode?
The guitar cab mode reduces the high frequencies, like a typical guitar speaker would. We want some added extended highs to get that "air" with reverb or chorusing especially with a sole guitar playing, so I use their "Monitor 2" setting which is the flattest of the half-space settings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom