Yamaha DBR12 loud enough? Or Mesa boogie over kill

I'm played on a bar yesterday , I used my tech21 power engine 60 with Beyma speaker, the band plays very loud, I think my amp was clipping because it sounded very bad, like if the speaker on the ax8 wa off, but I assume it was solid state amp digital distortion which I hatted.

Ax8 output was all the way up (no output clipping), amp was at 85%, sounded pretty bad lol

So I have 2 options:
Option 1: Yamaha Dbr12
I have a Yamaha dbr12 speaker that I could use, I believe the volume will be enough but I'm not 100% sure , that's why I'm asking , it says 1000 watts but not sure how that translates to a guitar amplifier power. I read that even at high volumes the speaker doesn't distort, I used it on a gig at 85% volume (ax8 output at 100%) and it was very clear, love it, but since the speaker was at 85% that's why I doubt about volume

Option 2: use my Mesa boogie express plus 5:50 and blast them hehe I'm sure the volume will be more than enough, but I will use a small pedalboard instead of the ax8 in that case

You were probably clipping the input of your power amp.

In many situations you can’t turn the AX8 up all the way. Turn the power amp up instead.

Thanks, I believe the amp was clipping because of the loud volumes because it doesn't Clip when the amp is at 50% volume with ax8 output at full volume, I assume tech21 is not lough enough for that gig

The Yamaha should be loud enough, its got a lot more wattage than the Tech 21. No way anyone can say for sure, why dont you try it out at the next rehearsal? Also, check out the amp forum, its got a lot of threads on the Yamaha

The Yamaha should be loud enough, its got a lot more wattage than the Tech 21. No way anyone can say for sure, why dont you try it out at the next rehearsal? Also, check out the amp forum, its got a lot of threads on the Yamaha
there's no rehersals hehe, but i guess i will try it

Back
Top Bottom