Y-Cable for piezo equipped guitar

Mariano

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone here uses a Y-Cable like the ProCo for piezo equipped guitars, or recommend a different solution. I'm looking for options to connect a Majesty to the Axe-Fx keeping it as simple as possible and being able to process piezo and mag individually.

Thanks!

PARKER20-large.jpg

I have a couple of guitars with two outputs (either regular pickups wired in stereo mode or regular and piezo outputs). The type of cable you show is just the job. I usually run the regular pickups into the Axe-FX front instrument input 1 and the piezo into the rear input 2 right .
Then you can set up two independent chains in Axe-Edit. I put a Vol/Pan block first and set the inputs to "Left Only" for the regular pickups and "Right Only" for the piezo. Then you can do whatever you like in each chain.
You can also put a mixer at the end and bring the two chains back together and balance/pan them as required.
I think you'll find lots of people doing this kind of thing (in many different ways) with the Axe-FX. That's the beauty of such a versatile piece of equipment.

Piezo & Elec.JPG

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply Tony! Looks exactly like what I had in mind, so happy with the Axe-Fx!!! :D

I do this with my acoustic on rear input 2 L/R. FYI, you won't have any tuning or pitch based or envelope based effects on input 2. An option for user to turn that on/off on input 2 has been on the wish list for years, but it conflicts with 4-cable users. If it could be toggled on/off per patch (along with input selection) that would be handy.

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone here uses a Y-Cable like the ProCo for piezo equipped guitars, or recommend a different solution. I'm looking for options to connect a Majesty to the Axe-Fx keeping it as simple as possible and being able to process piezo and mag individually.

Thanks!

I use the same cable (they call them "insert" cable) but I built a split box like the music man in order to use a single TRS. In that way you can use much higher (and stage suited) cables.

I just noticed that I made a mistake in my first post. I said the piezo input was "rear input 2 right" and I should have said "rear input 1 right".
Sorry if I caused any confusion.

I use the same cable (they call them "insert" cable) but I built a split box like the music man in order to use a single TRS. In that way you can use much higher (and stage suited) cables.

Have you noticed any difference going from insert to TRS? what is the benefit of going TRS and adding a split box? I'm trying to keep the setup simple but I'd like to know what I'd be missing by doing this.

Have you noticed any difference going from insert to TRS? what is the benefit of going TRS and adding a split box? I'm trying to keep the setup simple but I'd like to know what I'd be missing by doing this.

Not really... but usually insert cables are made for the studio so they might be fragile.

As a matter of fact I haven't set up the split box yet and I'm still using the insert cable :)

Anyone experiencing problems with a TRS cable? I recently built myself a couple cables for this task and they both have a much more pronounced microphonic effect than a regular TS cable, basically if I tap on the cable itself I hear quite loud bumps and pops. I think this is caused by a poor isolation inside the cable or the wire-wire capacitance

I use a great stereo to mono split box that I paid about $60 for from a company called road rage from Canada. It let's me use a good quality Trs cable right to my rack, then the little box which is small and fits anywhere splits the signal. The road rage is a simple build and adds absolutely no color to your tone. I mention this because in my experience, it is hard to find a long enough Y cable that is good quality and reliable.

Here is the link:
http://www.roadrageprogear.com/stereo-splitter-guitar-pedal.html

Back
Top Bottom