XY touchpad MIDI programming?

CGZG

Does anyone know how to setup a Manson Guitar XY Touchpad to use as an external MIDI controller for an effect?

Manson sets it up for a Korg KP3 or a Digital Whammy, but I would like to use it to control vocoder, pitch, wah, etc

I would assume the XY pad is able to output MIDI CC messages with a separate CC# for each axis (X/Y or horizontal/vertical, etc.). In the MIDI/Remote menu > External page, assign an External Controller to each of those specific MIDI CC#'s. You can then assign those two External Controllers as sources for any modifier in you use in your presets to control parameters in various blocks.

For example, if X uses CC#12 and Y uses CC#13, assign External Controller 1 to CC#12 and External Controller 2 to CC#13 (or whichever 2 external controllers you're not using). Then in something like the Wah block, you'd assign a modifier to the Control parameter and then set the source to External Controller 1 or 2 depending on which axis you wanted to control that effect.

Last edited:
I have set the External controllers to 1=cc11, 2= cc12, 3=cc13 as the Manson XY pad is factory set for those cc

I am still unable to get the AXEFXIII to recognize the Manson

What MIDI channel is the Mason sending on (1 through 16)? The Axe III has to be set to the same channel or Omni to respond to any channel.

Last edited:
Those are the CC message numbers. MIDI has 16 different channels it uses to send all the message types on. It's for sending specific messages to different devices in the same rig typically. The manual probably says what channel it uses or how to change it. IIRC the Axe III defaults to channel 1 but you can change it in the MIDI/Remote menu. If it's the only MIDI device in your setup, you can set it to Omni and it will respond to messages on any channel.

Ok, so the general midi channel must have come from the factory set at channel 3. I set it to OMNI and it immediately recognized the XY pad. It recognizes the Y travel more so I have to tweak it a bit so I'll post here any settings that are needed.

I honestly would liketo buy a Korg KP3 Kaoss pad to run this through, but they stopped making them. I wonder if anyone has any presets from Korg to use in the axe?

Ok, so the general midi channel must have come from the factory set at channel 3. I set it to OMNI and it immediately recognized the XY pad. It recognizes the Y travel more so I have to tweak it a bit so I'll post here any settings that are needed.
The Axe Fx was set to channel 3? That's definitely not a factory setting.

You probably should set it to the specific channel you want to use and set the pad to match.

Thanks very much for this thread. I'm thinking about picking up a Manson (after I get my FM9, which will hopefully be soon!)

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got it sussed out. I've been using ipads/iphones as controllers like this for a while, mostly using the Lemur app by Lline (now discontinued), and TouchOsc (still available). The Flux:fx app designed with Adrian Belew was a lot of fun effects designed to be manipulated with an XY interface, but I had issues getting it to properly run with the Axe (whether via an external audio interface or plugging the ipad directly into the Axe's sub port).

Now that midi over Bluetooth is becoming common, I've fired those controllers up again (previously I had to hardwire the ipad to my rig). There are certain control functions that make the best sense with foot manipulation, and others that benefit from finer hand movements. What I like about the Lemur/TouchOSC approach is variety of control types (radio buttons, circular knobs, XY pads, sliders, and even gyroscopic control) and logic functions that provide triggerable scripts.

Back
Top Bottom