Xsonic Airstep - any users?

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I'm sure there are threads discussing this option for integration with Fractal gear but I'm taking a very close look at this unit right now mainly to connect to my mac and Cubase. This device looks extremely versatile. I can see many uses for it. For recording myself on guitar/edrums without mousing around first. Being wireless can easily move the controller wherever.

The other guitarist in my band recently got one. He's using it live with a tablet running some kind of plug-ins for his amps and effects. (Neural, I think.) He wanted something more compact than his pedalboard/AX-8 setup, and so far it has worked well. I asked him about Bluetooth lag and he said it hasn't been an issue, since he's only switching stuff between songs. Plus, he's only using two or three patches per gig. (One for acoustic guitar, and one each for clean and crunchy electric guitar.) He also uses it at home and when he's traveling for work as part of his recording setup.

The other guitarist in my band recently got one. He's using it live with a tablet running some kind of plug-ins for his amps and effects. (Neural, I think.) He wanted something more compact than his pedalboard/AX-8 setup, and so far it has worked well. I asked him about Bluetooth lag and he said it hasn't been an issue, since he's only switching stuff between songs. Plus, he's only using two or three patches per gig. (One for acoustic guitar, and one each for clean and crunchy electric guitar.) He also uses it at home and when he's traveling for work as part of his recording setup.
cool. Yeah i just ordered this today and plan to use it mostly with my DAW but it can be used for anything on your computer along with amps /hardware. Pretty versatile and well thought out unit. Bluetooth connectivity sold me.

It's awesome. Can be used with anything. I got it with the "Lite" as well. Been using it recently with a WIDI Master for my FM9 and Helix. Works perfectly. I had it set up for a MIDI send in Reaper for Amplitude 5 and Helix, but just recently switched to Logic Pro. Now I gotta refigure out how to set that up and I'm clueless to manually doing MIDI lol. But it's awesome and well worth the money.

I use one with my little Spark amp for home practice on occasion, but now that my FM9 has arrived, I use the FM9 instead.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are threads discussing this option for integration with Fractal gear but I'm taking a very close look at this unit right now mainly to connect to my mac and Cubase. This device looks extremely versatile. I can see many uses for it. For recording myself on guitar/edrums without mousing around first. Being wireless can easily move the controller wherever.

Let us know how it works. Looks interesting for certain things.

Let us know how it works. Looks interesting for certain things.
absolutely. My order \should arrive in about 1-2 weeks. I see myself using this for many applications. Even to control the AXF3. I have a yamaha MD-BTO1 midi/BT receiver i plan to plug into the back midi ports of the AXF3. Use the air step on one mode for basic preset switching (for when i'm on my couch watching tv and dont want to haul my big pedal board with FC12 over) ..same time i'll have my ipad on mic stand there ..hit airstep button swtich modes to control page up/down of say guitar tab apps etc. another mode switch to hit basic transport controls for Cubase...say run looper to jam over top.. Or switch to control my computer Itunes library. It looks pretty endless what you can do with it. HID commands to program any of your computer keyboard commands is sweet. Earlier today was telling my brother about it and shared this clip with him...I am becoming Zorg

It's awesome. Can be used with anything. I got it with the "Lite" as well. Been using it recently with a WIDI Master for my FM9 and Helix. Works perfectly. I had it set up for a MIDI send in Reaper for Amplitude 5 and Helix, but just recently switched to Logic Pro. Now I gotta refigure out how to set that up and I'm clueless to manually doing MIDI lol. But it's awesome and well worth the money.
Tried to find the differences between the Lite and regular, besides price of course. ? What's the difference , if I may ask? Thanks
I would use it with my DAW mainly.

I have one - it's pretty versatile as far as configuring it to send MIDI, send keystrokes, etc. I'm currently mostly using it to control YouTube videos via their browser plugin to adjust playback speed, pitch, loop, etc.

Tried to find the differences between the Lite and regular, besides price of course. ? What's the difference , if I may ask? Thanks
From what I read the lite doesnt have outs to connect to Hardware. the 1/4" outputs. I think no midi ports too only straight up BT connections which if you're just using for DAW i think lite would easily do

Just found this on their website, Duh! I don't care about the midi connectors but I do like the USB connection......
So, Just as Chewie said above.
Lite:
AIRSTEP Lite is a simplified version of AIRSTEP. All wired control interfaces are removed, including the traditional MIDI interface, Relay output interface, USB interface, and expression pedal interface. The Bluetooth communication interface is retained.

AIRSTEP Lite is mainly used for wireless control. It can work in 2 modes, standalone mode and wireless external footswitch mode.
In standalone mode, Lite Bluetooth connects to mobile phones, tablets, and computers to send MIDI messages and HID messages. At this time, the connection and usage of Lite are the same as AIRSTEP, so please refer to AIRSTEP for these points.

In the wireless external footswitch mode, Lite connects to AIRSTEP as its wireless external footswitches. At this time, all control messages are sent from AIRSTEP, and Lite is only used as a wireless extension.

I believe the main difference is just inputs/outputs. Lite doesn’t have expression pedal or foot switch inputs on it. Lite also doesn’t have MIDI in/out ports. I thought I remember seeing something when I bought them about if you want to use two Airsteps linked one needs to be the main Airstep? I could be wrong though, that’s just what I recall off the top of my head, but you might want to double check the last one. Airstep works on with everything in all sorts of ways. It’s truly awesome.

I've got the Airstep and Lite combo. It's a nice MIDI, versatile controller. I think the app could be better with copy/paste functionality and clearer "what is synced between the pedal vs app". The internal presets are nice functionality and it has a pretty good battery life too. The iOS app seems to be more reliable than the Android one.

I use it wirelessly with the CME WIDI Master and WIDI Jack.

This little wonder tech arrived today. Looking forward to seeing all the ways I'll be incorporating it

Attachments

• airstep.jpg
    airstep.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
today got around to integrating this and programming it to my needs. I love how simple this thing is to program. Creating scenes for different applications. I was able to connect it quite easily to my AF3 using my Yamaha MD-BT01 BT/midi adapter that I had laying around. Created a few midi CC's for basic scene inc/dec. Tuner along with 2 buttons controlling the volume on my Apollo X6 using HID keyboard shortcuts. Perfect scene for when i'm on the couch noodling. I think this might be one of my fav purchases of studio gear in quite some time.

I just got one and like it. At the moment I'm only using it to control ASD (Amazing Slow Downer) and AnyTune - audio looping software to learn tunes. They ship from China if you buy direct or from Amazon, don't expect to get it over night. It took about two weeks for me.

I have one and now I would like to use it with the FM3 which unfortunately does not support MIDI-over-USB :cry::cry::cry:
I therefore need to purchase a Bluetooth MIDI adapter and I am undecided between the Yamaha MDBT01 or the CME WIDI Master.
I would prefer the Yamaha, it seems well built, but I can't find any reference on the pairing with the Airstep.
Has anyone had a chance to try it?

Back
Top Bottom