XLR vs Unbalanced 1/4 Output for Recording

jdurso

i'm just getting into recording with the Axe so bare with me because I'm still trying to figure a lot of things out at the same time. For the past week or so I've been using the XLR outputs of the Axe direct into the XLR inputs of a M-Audio Profire 610. I've noticed things sound better than I expected with very minimal patch tweaking EXCEPT I cannot get Output 1 NOT to clip. When I lower the output and adjust the gain on the Profire's inputs it sounds ok but seems choked and no matter how conservative I am with my levels, upon playback using my laptops speakers the bass is always way too much (no matter how much bass i dial out).

What I'm wondering after reading through about 50 posts is whether the 1/4 unbalanced outputs would be better to use since the XLR inputs on the Profire may color the signal, almost acting as a boost pedals in a way. Also I know getting a decent monitor setup will help me dial in my patches with more precision, better fit for recording.

I don't know about the ProFire, but on the Digi002 the XLR inputs ALWAYS go through a mic preamp... and since the XLR out on the AXE is line level, that's not a good thing...

I'm thinking the best solution would be an XLR->TRS cable to a ProFire line input, so you could keep it at line level instead of adding a highZ->lowZ conversion into the chain.

But somebody else should chip in, because this is just in theory, I need to order the bits to make a XLR->TRS cable so I can try this myself!

JustinAiken said:
I don't know about the ProFire, but on the Digi002 the XLR inputs ALWAYS go through a mic preamp... and since the XLR out on the AXE is line level, that's not a good thing...

I'm thinking the best solution would be an XLR->TRS cable to a ProFire line input, so you could keep it at line level instead of adding a highZ->lowZ conversion into the chain.

But somebody else should chip in, because this is just in theory, I need to order the bits to make a XLR->TRS cable so I can try this myself!

Hmmm... i'll have to try that.

Another thing all together is almost every patch i have clipping Output 1 since i upgraded the firmware... some over the more effects ridden patches don't even play and display an error.

Back
Top Bottom