XLR or 1/4

I use 1/4 inch to XLR adaptors to run Output 2 to my (XLR-only) monitors. There is some minimal signal degradation, a bit more noise, etc., but it's quite acceptable. It leaves my Output 2 XLRs free for sending the signal out to FOH. I can live with a touch of degradation for my personal monitoring, but I want the best signal out to FOH (and/or recording).

(EDIT: when I'm not routing anything else from Output 1, i.e. no PA, no recording, nothing, then I use the XLR Output 1 to drive my monitors... just as a treat, cause it sounds better and cleaner... but I easily give it up when I need to feed a PA or a recording console).

joetdc

It depends on what sort of signal you are using on the cable. Generally though:
XLR : These are used for balanced signal transmission, that means 3 conductors are used, a screen and two wires with the same signal out of phase with each other. It is done this way so that noise can be easily cancelled out at the receiving end.
1/4" : Mono cables like a guitar cable are not balanced and have no noise cancellation capability (aside from the cable screen). Note you can also have stereo 1/4" leads that are 3-wire balanced as well, so you get the same performance as XLR, as long as both receiving equipment and sending equipment are balanced.

FOR MICROPHONE LEVEL SIGNALS (TINY AMPLITUDE)
XLR are much preferred for small amplitude signal sources like microphones because induced noise on the cable is so large in comparison to the mic signal, and balancing cancels out most radiated noise. This is particularly true when the signal runs a long distance. There are adapters that take an XLR to a STEREO 1/4", this will keep the balanced signal intact. But there are XLR adapters to MONO 1/4" which will negate the benefits of balancing. This is bad for microphone signals. If you are practicing in the garage you might not notice but in a studio that would be a no-no.

FOR LINE LEVEL SIGNALS (MIXER OUTPUTS, CD OUTPUTS, AXE FX OUTPUT)
XLR balanced is still preferred for studio and ultra high fidelity applications, but the induced noise has a much reduced impact on a line level signal because the signal is so large in comparison. This is probably why the Axe Fx 1/4" outputs are unbalanced. In these cases mono 1/4" will generally produce very similar results compared to XLR (over short runs and non-noisy environments). Your adapter should not affect this much but if you require the highest fidelity make sure its shielded and its balanced, and the transmitting / receiving ends are balanced. Note if you are converting the balanced Axe Fx output down to 1/4" you will only get benefits if the entire path is balanced (adapter, stereo cable, amplifier input). Otherwise you may as well use the 1/4" unbalanced output through a mono cable. There should be nearly no difference in signal quality between 1/4" unbalanced and XLR to unbalanced 1/4".

FOR SPEAKER LEVEL SIGNALS (AMP OUTPUT INTO SPEAKER CAB)
Some speakers cabs have XLR inputs, and some amps have 1/4" outputs. These signals are never balanced and it doesnt matter if you use an adapter or not. Just make sure it can handle the current though.

Dpoirier said:
I use 1/4 inch to XLR adaptors to run Output 2 to my (XLR-only) monitors. There is some minimal signal degradation, a bit more noise, etc., but it's quite acceptable. It leaves my Output 2 XLRs free for sending the signal out to FOH. I can live with a touch of degradation for my personal monitoring, but I want the best signal out to FOH (and/or recording). You mean it leaves your Output 1 XLR's free for sending signal out to FOH , correct?

(EDIT: when I'm not routing anything else from Output 1, i.e. no PA, no recording, nothing, then I use the XLR Output 1 to drive my monitors... just as a treat, cause it sounds better and cleaner... but I easily give it up when I need to feed a PA or a recording console).

The Axe's XLR Output 1 jacks are 6db louder than the 1/4" jacks.
If your power amp has XLR inputs you should use them.

Back
Top Bottom