XLR Mono/Stero out to interface

mikah912

Inspired
Quick question, all.

On the fence about grabbing one of these, and I need to be able to use it quietly at home.

I know there are threads about Y cables and headphone amps. Well, I have a Steinberg CI2 interface that hasn't been getting a lot of use lately, and it has XLR inputs, but only one per channel.

So if I used the AX8 with that with a single XLR cable connecting them, would I plug it up to the L XLR out on the AX8, and would it be a mono signal with no stereo imaging? Or would I need Y XLR cables to sum the stereo signal into one stereo signal for the input on the CI2?

I'd then use the headphone jack on the CI2 for quiet home recording and practice.

All you need to do is to hook up to the Left side of the Ax8 and you have a mono signal. That said if you have any presets that are built for stereo then you will only get one side of the image. At that point you have a few options, set any effect block for mono or sum L+R in the I/O.

You can route the outputs on the AX8 however you please, so you can sum the left and right stereo channels from the AX8 into the one XLR out you're using without needing a Y cable. If you want to run stereo into your interface, you'll need two XLR cables going into two separate inputs, since XLR cables and inputs are only mono.

You just put one XLR in one channel, pan it left, then another XLR in another channel, pan it right, and voila, you have stereo monitoring

Back
Top Bottom