XLR Cables for Studio Monitors

malcolm86

Hi,

I am so happy I will shortly be receiving an Axe FX II XL after many years of saving! :)

Can I ask what make of XLR cables people are using to connect their Axe FX to a pair of Studio Monitors ? I will be using Equator D5's.

Also, does it make a difference if these are Neutrik or Standard female to male XLR when using the Output 1 Balanced outs from the XL ?

Thanks,
Neil

I make my own using Mogami (2534) cable and Neutrik (NC3FX-B) + Neutrik (NC3MX-B) jacks. It's very simple to do if you have minimal experience with a soldering iron. However, in my situation I needed dozens of varying length in my home and within my rack so it was extremely cost effective to buy bulk cable and jacks.

The whole cable quality topic can get very heated if you search around. I personally think it's all bunk and you won't notice a difference between most brands. I first bought a couple of Mogami XLR cables because that was what was available at the store I was at and found the build quality excellent. So I started to build my own because the prices were ridiculous. In my humble opinion it's more about the build quality (for long term use) than any PERCEIVED difference in audio quality.

Anything that works, balanced cables block interference by design, no need for fancy cables. What do you mean by Neutrik vs standard? Neutrik is a good quality brand.

Anything that works, balanced cables block interference by design, no need for fancy cables. What do you mean by Neutrik vs standard? Neutrik is a good quality brand.

I think it's my misunderstanding of Neutrik. I've seen mention of Neutrik sockets and thought it was a different (more secure/reliable) type of socket, requiring a different type of XLR connector on the cable.

So any branded XLR connector, (including all the XLR connectors Neutrik produce) would do the trick?

Using Monoprice cables with my D8s and most of my gear for that matter. Excellent quality cables at an insane price.

I think it's my misunderstanding of Neutrik. I've seen mention of Neutrik sockets and thought it was a different (more secure/reliable) type of socket, requiring a different type of XLR connector on the cable.

So any branded XLR connector, (including all the XLR connectors Neutrik produce) would do the trick?

Correct. Neutrik is just one brand of many.

Back
Top Bottom