XL+ vs. FX8

deleted

Inspired
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a new Fractal device.
I'm using the AFII since 2012 and I find both the XL+ and the FX8 interesting but can only afford one of it. ;-)
Someday I would like to use the device with a tube amp in 4CM. Therefore I would like to know, if the XL+ really has the same 4CM circuitry as the FX8 and works equally well in that scenario? I couldn't form an opinion as there was a bit of discussion in the past I read earlier this day. So I would like to ask, if there are any official statements or other news concerning that topic? Maybe someone has the luck to own both and could compare?

Further specific to the FX8:
- Am I correct that if you want to use it to switch channels on the amp, you can configure it either via relay or via midi per scene without wasting any additional block for this function?
- Is the CPU usage equal to the AX8? If so, I surely can take the spreadsheet from the wiki to calculate my CPU usage, if I would transfer my AFII files to the FX8?

Thanks for you help!

They do not have the same circuitry. Many pros us the XL+ for 4 cable method with great success. CPU is same as AX. FX8 has limited routing vs the XL+ and AX.

II MarkI and Fx8 here...
I was gonna get the Ax8 and opted for the Fx8. Got it 6 month ago did a Euro tour with it... And still over the moon.
Now that said I prefer it for 4cm just because it's such an easy setup. But my go to for years has been the II that's set permanently in 4cm with panning between amps and amp models and cab sim and miced cab.

So it really depends on your amps and how you use them. If only one id get the II with MFC.

The Axe would be great as well but my usage I don't seem to have a use for it.

II MarkI and Fx8 here...
I was gonna get the Ax8 and opted for the Fx8. Got it 6 month ago did a Euro tour with it... And still over the moon.
Now that said I prefer it for 4cm just because it's such an easy setup. But my go to for years has been the II that's set permanently in 4cm with panning between amps and amp models and cab sim and miced cab.

So it really depends on your amps and how you use them. If only one id get the II with MFC.

The Axe would be great as well but my usage I don't seem to have a use for it.

Yes my tendency is going towards XL+ because obviously we are close to a final point of life span with the Mark I units now. But I wanted to take the FX8 method into consideration nonetheless. I'm not really sure about the the XL+ in 4CM because I did try it with my MKI and it didn't work very well. If it works as good as a FX8, the choice is easy.

Yes my tendency is going towards XL+ because obviously we are close to a final point of life span with the Mark I units now. But I wanted to take the FX8 method into consideration nonetheless. I'm not really sure about the the XL+ in 4CM because I did try it with my MKI and it didn't work very well. If it works as good as a FX8, the choice is easy.
I got my Mark2 set up well enough that it works just as well as the Fx8. But it took some doing.
The 4cm idiot proof factor of the fx8 is pretty cool.

Cliff:

The XL+ does not offer True Bypass, nor does it offer additional relay outputs for amp channel switching. So, we are back to the statement that the FX8 has additional circuitry optimized for 4CM. The True Bypass can be applied to the Pre stage, Post stage, or Both. Giving more flexibility when using 4CM

The XL+ shares the same amazing low-noise architecture of the FX8. I regularly use my XL+ in 4CM as this is part of the modeling process. It's the quietest device I've ever tried in 4CM

Cliff:

The XL+ does not offer True Bypass, nor does it offer additional relay outputs for amp channel switching. So, we are back to the statement that the FX8 has additional circuitry optimized for 4CM. The True Bypass can be applied to the Pre stage, Post stage, or Both. Giving more flexibility when using 4CM

The XL+ shares the same amazing low-noise architecture of the FX8. I regularly use my XL+ in 4CM as this is part of the modeling process. It's the quietest device I've ever tried in 4CM

Which means the XL+ works as well as an FX8 when using effects in 4CM, doesn't it? I'm asking because with my MKI I made the experience that it changes the tone of the amp as it was in the signal chain. Also ground loops where an issue.

More ac question of the amps loop and the input/output impedances than the gear it interfaces with.

Ground loops are gonna be something you will have to deal with when interfacing gear

I have an XL+ and an FX8.

I love the FX8 and with my Mark V it sounds truly awesome. I had some spare cash so I got the XL+ about 3 months ago and since getting it set up, the FX8 hasn't been touched. I love valve amps there, is nothing like them but I found the XL+ sounds so close to the real thing that I'm fully prepared to move on to a permanent XL+ solution with FRFR cabs. The CPU power of the Axe Fx XL+ is also another big plus for me and the flexibility is second to none. The downside of the XL+ is that the amp modelling has quite a steep learning curve and setting levels is a PiTA compared to a 3 channel boogie. But once you get over that it's quite straight forward and there is a ton of help to get you off to a flying start.

I kept my boogie by the way ! I like playing it now and again. It's like having a classic car in the garage to take out for a spin on a Sunday afternoon ... and I will 4CM it with the XL+ at some point but for now it's hard to tell the difference between it and the XL+

More ac question of the amps loop and the input/output impedances than the gear it interfaces with.

Ground loops are gonna be something you will have to deal with when interfacing gear

You can get ground loops on any gear. I had one on my XL+ when I put in a loop switcher. Flipped it for a Lehle switcher and now all sorted. Put it down to the Crappy switched mode power supply in the first one.

I have an XL+ and an FX8.

I love the FX8 and with my Mark V it sounds truly awesome. I had some spare cash so I got the XL+ about 3 months ago and since getting it set up, the FX8 hasn't been touched. I love valve amps there, is nothing like them but I found the XL+ sounds so close to the real thing that I'm fully prepared to move on to a permanent XL+ solution with FRFR cabs. The CPU power of the Axe Fx XL+ is also another big plus for me and the flexibility is second to none. The downside of the XL+ is that the amp modelling has quite a steep learning curve and setting levels is a PiTA compared to a 3 channel boogie. But once you get over that it's quite straight forward and there is a ton of help to get you off to a flying start.

I kept my boogie by the way ! I like playing it now and again. It's like having a classic car in the garage to take out for a spin on a Sunday afternoon ... and I will 4CM it with the XL+ at some point but for now it's hard to tell the difference between it and the XL+

So, you don't use or don't have used the XL+ with 4CM so far?

Color me stupid but what exactly is 4CM? :confused::oops:

4CM = 4 cable method.
By using this method you can split your Axe into effects before and after preamp while using a real tube amp. You go into the Axe, run through all effects that should be placed before the amp, signal goes out of Out 2 into the front of the amp, then through the preamp, out of the effect send of the amps effect loop, into In 2 of the Axe, through all effects that are between pre- and power amp, again out of Out 1 into the return of the amps effect loop.

Ah, mystery solved. I was always an everything into the front of a clean amp kind of guy, so no wonder I didn't recognize the term.

Back
Top Bottom