XL or MKII,,,that is the question

Yes, I know it's currently sold out and am now on he waiting list for both..whichever shows up first...I'll take.

As a new user (picked up my XL from a private seller Friday) I faced the same dilemma you did and ultimately chose the XL because, for a nominal fee I have the most recent version, which should provide a longer (even if only SLIGHTLY) life in my rig.

When I also considered the extra cab and preset slots along with the added connectivity options and the hardware changes it was a no brainer for me. :)

Incidentally, my initial plan has changed CONSIDERABLY in the past week.
Originally I mainly wanted an effects processor that I could use the 4CM with and OCCASIONALLY use as a total FOH system but I'm running over to GuitarCenter tomorrow to demo a few powered monitors to size up the feasibility of ditching my tubes altogether. LOVING IT.

Evilhish

I actually still use a tube amp...it's a Mesa Dyna Watt power amp....into a Blackstar 2 X 12 (dumped the Marshall 1960..too big to lug around, and with the PA gear we play through, it's way way overkill).

Evilhish

I actually still use a tube amp...it's a Mesa Dyna Watt power amp....into a Blackstar 2 X 12 (dumped the Marshall 1960..too big to lug around, and with the PA gear we play through, it's way way overkill).
Haha, fair enough, I probably should have been clearer, I was actually referring to my tube heads. ;)

I want the version of the AxeFx2 that only has 10 preset slots and 4 cab slots. :roll For me the AxeFX II MKII is overkill, but it sounds so damn good. :encouragement:

owner of first version of Axe fx II. If i had no Axe would deffo going for XL. Now like a lot of us am waiting to make the move if 1 day III comes out.

Tru dat all....but while Cliff is in business to make money, he's also an artist of sorts and started this whole thing ( if I read correctly) because of the sound.
If 50% of the capability was purposely left unassigned, one must assume it's because he can design the precursor at least, to the III by software changes in the XL

I have had my XL for about four weeks now and I'm loving it. I bought a 1x12 active wedge cab from Mick over at Xitone Cabs Hopefully by this time next week I will have my new cab. Those cabs sound amazing. If your looking for a cab for your Axe Fx, go to XitoneCabs.com and check out what they have to offer!

I've been using my XL for a couple of weeks now. It's full of hundreds of IRs which I assign to cab slots at the upper end of the user IR slots (far right). I can then easily audition them in Axe, since they are all already on the unit, switching through them is instant. When I find one that I really like, that works with a given amp or preset, I have the luxury of space, so I copy that IR to the left (the start of the user IR slots) for quick access and reuse. It's a convenience, having way more slots than you need - plenty of space to store favourites, and oodles of space to upload for auditioning.

You folks sure aren't making this easier...LOL
No, I'm not what one would call a power user..I don't spend my days creating patches.
If the only true difference is the amount of user preset spaces and the different inputs/outputs...but EVERYTHING else is exactly the same...then the MKII is probably for me.
On the other hand...My ultra is getting tired...I have to use Axe Edit to make changes now since the encoder wheel has gotten a case of the flue and is real good decrementing a value, not so good going up!!! lol

I prefer not to wait forever and it's starting to sound like the deciding factor may in fact be..I can get the XL now...and will have to wait a few months for the MKII

That is one thing on the XL that is different from the MKI-II units. It has a optical encoder wheel that is good for 1,000,000 + rotations along with some other hardware upgrades hence the extra cost.

There are features in the XL that I feel would be worth the extra $400 if I didn't already own an AxeFX II MkI.

The optical encoder would certainly hold more importance for me if it were not for the 4 rotary parameter controls that can essentially take over the main encoders function should it fail. The new 'secret sauce' input circuitry may be an improvement but without personally comparing them side by side I can only guess what benefit(s) I would see from it (I have no input noise and I like the input circuit on my MkI).

I like the idea of added X/Y states for more effects but I don't really do too much complicated switching and I'm getting what I need and want from the MkI. The installed backup EPROM is a great idea but I have a new EPROM and other spares (power supply, fan, etc.) to resolve any of the user addressable issues that could arrive.

Finally, on the subject of expanded preset and user IR slots: I have a long way to go before I bump into any limitation the MkI may hold for me. If I do happen to reach a limitation that slows my progress I'll switch to the XL at next availability.

Back
Top Bottom