XiTone X24p vids and info

MicFarlow

Experienced
Vendor
Hi All,

Here are some video clips of the X24p nekkid and in the wild!

[EDIT] ... this have not been covered yet as that shipment has not arrived yet.. hope to get that done by the weekend though!

In short, I took the very first two X24p cabs to my church last night! I wanted to get some video of them in a larger sized room. The room is pretty large with seating for 1800 at current and can be configured for 2500. In some clips you'll see the light rig as a size perspective.. it's 6 sections of 10ft truss hung roughtly 30ft off the stage. The stage is about 3ft tall.

In these vids I wanted to basically walk around the room while my cousin was playing just to see how the cabs sounded from close and far away. The video is less then stellar as I am not a videographer and all I used was the native camera app from an iPod Touch... so nothing fancy.....

I will be posting more details and clips as the day goes on!

Thanks all!

Mick

First up:

I am walking around the back isle.. probably 50-60 ft. from the stage.... size reference... each cab is 31.5 inches wide and 16.5 inches tall.

David is using his Axe with I think a Mk. IV amp.. Flat output EQ's and I think he has a single PEQ block with a very minor mid scoop... He is using a Les Paul and I think he is tuned to D here.. a whole step down.

[EDIT] Forgot to add... he is using a Mesa based 4x12 for the cab block.. it's not a factory one or even an aftermarket... he did some kind of computer magic thingie and came up with the cab IR we like best for the XiTone cabs...

The Axe Output 2 is going into a Motu 828mkII digital rack mixer and then into a Crate 200 watt power amp. The amp is dialed up close to 3/4 volume and the Axe is at 1 o'clock or so.. so plenty more headroom and volume available if need be.

Last edited:
Here are some cleans:

This vid shows the height of the room.. the top part is around 60ft up and the light rig is hung roughly between there and the stage.... ballpark....

This clip is from the left side balcony... probably 25-30 ft. up and as far back as I can go in the building.... probably close to 90 ft. back...

How much?

Hey GuitarDojo!

Base price for the X24p is $699, not including shipping or packaging. It is a passive cab with (2) 12" speakers, split baffle and two tilt feet for a total of 4 tilt angles. The speakers are 30watt RMS, 45watt music power. I have not weighed it yet but I think it's between 60-70 pounds.

I am building a 4 wheeled dolly that will make transport easier and as soon as I finish it up I'll post pics of it and pricing for it as well!

This is worth every penny. I have had the opportunity to play through Micks cabs and talk with him and you could not know a better guy. As for his product.. let's just say he is a perfectionist and you can HEAR it.

Rock on MicK!!!!

Woohoo scrmnglspl! I can't wait to ship it!

Here are 3 more clips.....

This is shot while coming into the room from a back service hall.... Say hey to Travis when I walk behind the drum booth!

This one is from the right side balcony!

Since I was already in the balcony and had to go downstairs, I might as well get that too! It was a free shot so I took it!

Also, in all three of these clips, David is playing thru my Ultra! This patch is a 5150, all tone controls straight up, no PEG or GEQ blocks, flat output EQ's, same cab as all the other clips... based on Mesa 4x12 with v30's.....

While I am here, I want to say a special word of Thanks to Scrmnglspl and Zerok00l for letting me build them some cabs and for thier support! You guys are awesome!

Also a special word of Thanks to my cousin David who was gracious enough to play a little guitar for me in these clips! Also a big shoutout to Travis and Glo for hanging out with David and I while we were playing around! You guys are the bestest!

A big Thanks to my church too! Amazing facility to test out gear and some of the best people I know!

Yet more vids will be forthcoming over the weekend....

I'll be doing a 1 watt test... basically putting 1W@1K into the cab and first testing the SPL in this room and then hitting it with the Ultra and recalibrate to 1watt and then see what happens....

Then we are going to run a backing track David has through the FoH, measure it at a decent level at the booth(probably around 100db) and then calibrate these cabs to that and see how they carry the house with a full band playing....

Lastly, we'll do a scenario where we hook the Axe's into the FoH, set the EQ's flat and then A/B directly between those two systems on the fly just to see how it translates. The FoH is a pair of EV 3-way line arrays hung from the light truss and the subs on the floor. Will be interesting to see how that translates! it might suck, might sound awesome... we'll see!

These look awesome. The only thing that concerns me is the power rating. This means I won't be able to use these with my Matrix.

These look awesome. The only thing that concerns me is the power rating. This means I won't be able to use these with my Matrix.

Actually, I beg to disagree :)

The Matrix would be a smokin' amp for these cabs!

One of the additional options I offer with my cabs are VU meters.. in the case of the passive cabs, an audio power meter to be more accurate. Essentially it's a 9 LED meter display on the baffle of each speaker that displays the amount of power going into the cab. Just as with the Axe, when you tickle the red LED, you are reaching max power to the cab.

I am also installing a PTC device as a form of over-current protection. Basically, if you start to overpower the cabs, this device heats up and as it does, it reduces the power to the cab and if you overpower for too long, it will shut down the cab to protect the speakers. The device would reset itself when it cools down... usually in a few seconds... maybe a minute....

I understand that matching wattage is a loose science, but pumping 250 W into speakers that are rated for 30 seems crazy to me.

I understand that matching wattage is a loose science, but pumping 250 W into speakers that are rated for 30 seems crazy to me.

The only way you'd pump 250w into any cab with the Matrix is to turn the volume all the way up and also max out the Axe as well....

Think of the Volume control on any amp as a "Wattage Limiter" and you can use any amp of any power rating into any cabinet and not hurt anything as long as you manage the volume control properly.

This is why I specifically add in an Audio Power Meter right on the baffle board... you can "see" the wattage coming through the cab.

That's also why I have a PTC device... even if you did slam it with that much power, the PTC kicks in and cuts it off... kinda like a fuse... pop a fuse and save a cab! :) The difference with the PTC though is that it resets on its own as soon as it cools down.

I understand your concern. I share it as well. That is why I have gone to great lengths to provide options (PTC) and tools (Power Meter) so that the chances of any harm coming to the speakers is greatly reduced!

To chime in here, I spent some time with Mick's 210 version of this cab. I used a VHT 2:90:2 with my axe. I pushed the VHT higher than I ever have (about 3/4 on the axe and 3/4 on the VHT) and, though the speakers were definitely getting slammed and they didn't sound optimum for my tastes at the level, they handled the power, did not distort, and did not suffer from a blown driver. I did this for several minutes, because I had the same fears that you do, MotherSea. Although I think these drivers would eventually blow at this level, it was louder than I would ever need. That was the 210 cabinet, these are 212s and thus I believe they would take a little more power than the 210s regardless of similar wattage ratings.

Mick, I believe you've mentioned offering 300 watt EVs as an option. I think that would satisfy someone who needs serious high power.

Thanks for the input guys, that certainly does make me feel better about these. The other thing is: a 12" speaker rated at 15 watts that is "full range"? This seems a little outlandish to me. I might expect a guitar speaker to have a wattage rating that low (although it's rare to see under 30), but all the full range speakers I have seen in the past have higher ratings. Mick, can you explain?

Interesting.. Will you be making an active/powered version of the X24 as well? (I thought at first that the "p" in X24p meant "powered", but apparently it didn't..)

Thanks for the input guys, that certainly does make me feel better about these. The other thing is: a 12" speaker rated at 15 watts that is "full range"? This seems a little outlandish to me. I might expect a guitar speaker to have a wattage rating that low (although it's rare to see under 30), but all the full range speakers I have seen in the past have higher ratings. Mick, can you explain?

I use the only 12" full range speakers in the world that I am aware of! I think you meant 30watt though.. you mentioned that earlier... also, these are rated at 30watts RMS, 45 watts music... in a nutshell, the RMS value is what the rating would be if you pumped pure DC into it, vs music music power which is more akin to AC.

Interesting.. Will you be making an active/powered version of the X24 as well? (I thought at first that the "p" in X24p meant "powered", but apparently it didn't..)

Yes rednebb.. all of my cabs are available in active and passive versions! I got your email and will respond a bit later today!

The cab sounds nice but could we get a clip using either a standard IR, third party IR, or with no cab sim at all? Or, will it be possible for us to get the IR used in the clip somehow? It's hard to get an idea of what our sound will be if you're using a custom IR that we may not have access to.

Back
Top Bottom