Xitone Open-Back 1-12" review/Mick Farlow for President

Knobs McGee

Inspired
The following is an excerpt from my review on the AX8 forum. Thanks for reading!

I’ve got to give a big shout-out to Mick at Xitone Cabs and his brilliant 1-12 Open-Back powered cab. Although the cab is small and light, it delivers a much bigger, more focused and consistent sound than I was getting using my previous tube combo amps, using one or sometimes two 12s in larger cabinets. This cab still provides the airy, wide soundstage that I’m used to from open-back combo amps. It has a wide sweet spot and allows the other musicians on stage to hear me clearly. Even when using the humbuckers in my Carvin, the lows are round and full but never flabby. The Xitone also reproduces the chime of my Taylor Solidbody (with single-coil EMGs) and the zing of the “acoustic” output of my Carvin, with all the sparkle but never sounding shrill or strident. The presets that I dialed in using our Yamaha DSR115 PA mains and fine-tuned on studio monitors, sound just as sweet through the Xitone, without any additional tweaking.

At the gig we played yesterday, the temperature was in the low-90s and we had direct sunlight coming from behind us for the first set and a half. We had both of our powered mains shut down from sunlight pounding directly on the plate amps of our active mains (the sub was shaded and kept working) but the Xitone soldiered on without missing a beat (so to speak).

I also have to tell you what a pleasure it’s been working with Mick. What a great dude!! He’s been very responsive to my constant barrage of questions and his responses showed his vast knowledge and insight into building world-class FRFR cabinets. Mick also has a great sense of humor which kept our communications light-hearted and entertaining. Thanks Mick…love ya man!!!

Lastly, I have to give a BIG thanks to YOU, the golden-tone prospectors of the Fractal forum. It was you, and your insightful posts, who convinced me to make the move to Fractal and also turned me on to the aural-gurumanship of Mick Farlow and Xitone Cabs. Thank you all for your shared knowledge and support!! Thanks to you guys (and gals), I’m looking forward to years of tonal nirvana!!!

Thanks again,

Knobs

Wow. That's impressive. So are these only available by contacting XiTone? On the web site all I see is the active wedge for $899.

The following is an excerpt from my review on the AX8 forum. Thanks for reading!

I’ve got to give a big shout-out to Mick at Xitone Cabs and his brilliant 1-12 Open-Back powered cab. Although the cab is small and light, it delivers a much bigger, more focused and consistent sound than I was getting using my previous tube combo amps, using one or sometimes two 12s in larger cabinets. This cab still provides the airy, wide soundstage that I’m used to from open-back combo amps. It has a wide sweet spot and allows the other musicians on stage to hear me clearly. Even when using the humbuckers in my Carvin, the lows are round and full but never flabby. The Xitone also reproduces the chime of my Taylor Solidbody (with single-coil EMGs) and the zing of the “acoustic” output of my Carvin, with all the sparkle but never sounding shrill or strident. The presets that I dialed in using our Yamaha DSR115 PA mains and fine-tuned on studio monitors, sound just as sweet through the Xitone, without any additional tweaking.

At the gig we played yesterday, the temperature was in the low-90s and we had direct sunlight coming from behind us for the first set and a half. We had both of our powered mains shut down from sunlight pounding directly on the plate amps of our active mains (the sub was shaded and kept working) but the Xitone soldiered on without missing a beat (so to speak).

I also have to tell you what a pleasure it’s been working with Mick. What a great dude!! He’s been very responsive to my constant barrage of questions and his responses showed his vast knowledge and insight into building world-class FRFR cabinets. Mick also has a great sense of humor which kept our communications light-hearted and entertaining. Thanks Mick…love ya man!!!

Lastly, I have to give a BIG thanks to YOU, the golden-tone prospectors of the Fractal forum. It was you, and your insightful posts, who convinced me to make the move to Fractal and also turned me on to the aural-gurumanship of Mick Farlow and Xitone Cabs. Thank you all for your shared knowledge and support!! Thanks to you guys (and gals), I’m looking forward to years of tonal nirvana!!!

Thanks again,

Knobs

Thanks Knobs for your kind thoughts... though I have to ask if 'gurumanship' is even a word!!! :)

Seriously, Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it!

Wow. That's impressive. So are these only available by contacting XiTone? On the web site all I see is the active wedge for $899.

The active open back is the same price as the active wedge.

I have not gotten around to adding this newest model to the website... my apologies for that. I am working on getting some better pictures but if it takes too much longer I'll just run with what I got because I really do need to get it added.

Thanks!

Of course it's a word, do you think I just make this stuff up? Your gurumanship is what makes those cabs so shreadtasticaly auralicious! Jeez!

Ha, nice review. I am waiting for my 10" open back cab to arrive / it´s already on the way. Should blow my mind with FW 4.0.
Anyway, did you guys try different presets with an acoustic source (guitar)? Shure I can find it out for myself in a few days time but patience is a virtue I cannot afford :)

I keep checking the site for prices and details but nothing. Reviews are good but tough for me to take seriously with no mention from the manufacturer.

Would love to see the site updated myself also. I am very interested in this new design. Mick had e-mailed me about the 1x12 open backline and the 2 space rack combo unit very promptly. Hopefully we will see them on the Xitone site.

I keep checking the site for prices and details but nothing. Reviews are good but tough for me to take seriously with no mention from the manufacturer.

The very last pieces of the puzzle are coming together in the next couple of weeks. There has been a ton of tweaking and going back and forth with the customer to get this cab as right as rain and its all done but the cherry on top!

Would love to see the site updated myself also. I am very interested in this new design. Mick had e-mailed me about the 1x12 open backline and the 2 space rack combo unit very promptly. Hopefully we will see them on the Xitone site.

The website will be the last thing updated sadly as I do not maintain it myself. Once I get the final specs nailed down and signed off on I'll send all the info and some pics to my website developer and he'll get it up on the site. Might try to have some video to add as well.

Mick is indeed awesome. His designs and build quality are top-notch!

Thank you for your kind words! I appreciate it.

Mick has not been able to update the website because he has been building my cab which is suppose
To be shipping tomorrow.Mick is great to work with and explains everything that is going on during your build.

See...gurumanship!

OK, You win! Gurumanship is now an official word! :sunglasses:

Mick has not been able to update the website because he has been building my cab which is suppose
To be shipping tomorrow. Mick is great to work with and explains everything that is going on during your build.

Yep catscanman82. I might not be able to ship as fast as I'd like but when they do ship, I strive to make them as good as is possible!

Curious is this open back more suited for cleans, country jazz light gain tones? I am just thinking twin reverbs and similar amps (most Dr Z) have open backs and are not hard rock type amps.

Marshalls are all closed back and that (5150/Friedman) tones are my bread and butter so should I stick with what I have?

Curious is this open back more suited for cleans, country jazz light gain tones? I am just thinking twin reverbs and similar amps (most Dr Z) have open backs and are not hard rock type amps.

Marshalls are all closed back and that (5150/Friedman) tones are my bread and butter so should I stick with what I have?

Been watching the threads about this open back and have been wondering the same thing

Been watching the threads about this open back and have been wondering the same thing

The open backed cabs are designed specifically as back line or side fill solutions where one may traditionally use an open backed combo styled tube amp. It is perfect for cleans up through mid-gain rock type stuff. Much more gain than that and the bottom end starts to become kinda loose, which is why you'd want a closed back cab for those scenarios.

I am trying to come up with an elegant solution to enable users to close the back ports but so far I have not. If I do than I'll have DSP modes for open and closed back performance.

I am trying to come up with an elegant solution to enable users to close the back ports but so far I have not. If I do than I'll have DSP modes for open and closed back performance.
This is the first thing I thought when I read about this cab, great!

Really glad to read this review. I think this is the solution I've been looking for. Been using the AX8 through the return loop of my tube amp. It sounds ok, but hoping this will give me back some of the more natural guitar amp sounds I've been missing since going to the Fractal.

So based on this review I ordered my Xitone (open back with 12" celestion)

Mick is awesome to work with. Incredible customer service.

I'll post my reviews of the cab once I get it. Can't wait.

I've been very happy with my 1x12 active wedge (the "Wallimann"), and plan on getting another one in the not-too-distant future. XiTone makes great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom