Experienced
Vendor
Hi All,

Some pics to start:

X7Rack1.JPG

X7Rack2.JPG

X7Rack3.JPG

X7Rack4.JPG

Yep, you guessed it... XiTone X7 and a 2U rack.... locked together! Rack is easliy removeable. Rack can lock to any of my cabs and also any of my racks.

Racks available in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10U.

I am also developing a 2.5U slot with slide out drawer to hold an MFC-101! Might be able to squeeze in an expression pedal as well... all depending on as many factors as there are different expression pedals!

The racks are 15" deep, not including the lids.

The X7 and the 2U with the Axe loaded tilted fine at the 25 degree angle. The 40 degree angle does not work. I will be trying the 50 and 65 degree angles shortly. My thoughts are that those will tilt fine as the tilt leg is on the back of the cab so it will easily support that... not proven yet, but that's my thinking.... The angle in the pic though is dang near perfect! It works really really well!

I am not sure that the taller racks will tilt real well on the X7, but might on the X24. I'll know more about those combinations in the next week or so!

Special thanks go to scrmnglspl, zer0kool and tylercorrell! You guys rock!

Comments and suggestions are of course welcome.

Thanks,

Mick
XiTone
xitonecabs@gmail.com

Funeral said:
Looks good. Im having trouble connecting to your site though.

I seem to get to it ok..... I'll look into it... Course, what I really need to do is update it! There is no info on my site regarding the racks... :-( I'll try to get some info up soon..

Muzza_Boogie said:
Looks awesome!

Is the cab powered?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My cabs are offered in powered and unpowered as well as with either 10" or 12" speakers.

MotherSea said:
Same here

Sorry about that! I'll check into it later today! My site is hosted at GoDaddy so if they are having issues then it will affect my site possibly....

iaresee said:
Mic, very cool man.

Thanks!!!!!

Very interesting! Are these true FRFR or should AxeFx users turn off cab sims?
If FRFR, can you share frequency response information?

Looks really good Mic... Can we get some pic's of the back? just curious as to what it looks like from the audiences prospective ;)

Very cool idea locking the rack to the cab....solves the problem of "where do I put my rack", when trying to use a speaker tilted up like a monitor.

Nice looking finished product Mick!

Are these true FRFR or should AxeFx users turn off cab sims?

Cab sims on, this is an FRFR style unit. I have an X7 sitting next to me I've been able to play with briefly over the last couple of weeks, and the reason I say "style" is that from what I hear and what is visually evident is that it doesn't try to be a glorified studio monitor or re-branded PA speaker aimed at dipping into this market. When I play a track with IR's through my studio monitors, it sounds like a guitar recording being played through studio monitors, like it should. When I play that same track through the X7, it doesn't sound exactly like that, instead it sounds like it's a guitar amp coming from a guitar cabinet, like it should, IMHO.

I haven't torn the thing open yet, the one I have is borrowed from a friend and fellow forum member here so I feel it's not in my right to do so, nor have I really gotten into the nitty gritty of exploring the capabilities fully, but what this appears to be is a guitar style cabinet with FRFR speakers in it and some design choices that add to its value in this application. It may not double as a near field monitor, but in my personal opinion I wouldn't want that from this type of product. This is for live sound - whether high volume with a band or on stage, or low volume while you practice - where you want it to sound like a guitar cabinet in the room, not a recording through a stereo, again IMHO.

I'm not an FRFR connoisseur and I hung up my gigging shoes many moons ago, but from what I've heard from this cab, Mick is doing this right. I have eleventy billion things going on right now, but when I have the time I'm going to test one of Mick's cabs further and do some attempted tone matching with my IR's comparing it directly to the real McCoy. With success and the time to do more in depth representation through sound samples, I'll post up the audible results and mix recipes in my forum in the Live and Loud sub-section.

Mick truly is a great guy and I really think he's onto something here, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way around these parts. :)

Last edited:
Why not build a cabinet with a 4 space built in? If offset to the side there might be room for a cable & strap drawer. Wanna go nuts? Add a MFC drawer on the bottom.

When I play that same track through the X7, it doesn't sound exactly like that, instead it sounds like it's a guitar amp coming from a guitar cabinet, like it should, IMHO.

That is what I found as well when I tried the X7. Definitely has a guitar cab tone. Mick is definitely on to something.

Why not build a cabinet with a 4 space built in? If offset to the side there might be room for a cable & strap drawer. Wanna go nuts? Add a MFC drawer on the bottom.

I actually built one a couple years back. Had it tolexed like the newer Mesa gear...looks great.
Had it loaded with my JPM-1, Marshall 20/20 and TC GForce....and a V30. Sounded killer.
I keep getting the urge to pull it out of the Basement and throw some of Mick's speakers in there...hmmm.

Cab sims on, this is an FRFR style unit. I have an X7 sitting next to me I've been able to play with briefly over the last couple of weeks, and the reason I say "style" is that from what I hear and what is visually evident is that it doesn't try to be a glorified studio monitor or re-branded PA speaker aimed at dipping into this market. When I play a track with IR's through my studio monitors, it sounds like a guitar recording being played through studio monitors, like it should. When I play that same track through the X7, it doesn't sound exactly like that, instead it sounds like it's a guitar amp coming from a guitar cabinet, like it should, IMHO.

I haven't torn the thing open yet, the one I have is borrowed from a friend and fellow forum member here so I feel it's not in my right to do so, nor have I really gotten into the nitty gritty of exploring the capabilities fully, but what this appears to be is a guitar style cabinet with FRFR speakers in it and some design choices that add to its value in this application. It may not double as a near field monitor, but in my personal opinion I wouldn't want that from this type of product. This is for live sound - whether high volume with a band or on stage, or low volume while you practice - where you want it to sound like a guitar cabinet in the room, not a recording through a stereo, again IMHO.

I'm not an FRFR connoisseur and I hung up my gigging shoes many moons ago, but from what I've heard from this cab, Mick is doing this right. I have eleventy billion things going on right now, but when I have the time I'm going to test one of Mick's cabs further and do some attempted tone matching with my IR's comparing it directly to the real McCoy. With success and the time to do more in depth representation through sound samples, I'll post up the audible results and mix recipes in my forum in the Live and Loud sub-section.

Mick truly is a great guy and I really think he's onto something here, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way around these parts. :)

Thanks Kevin! I could not have said it better myself. I would add in only one thing... FRFR is a two part deal... no cab, alone will be true FRFR without the environment it is sitting in being tuned to said cabinet. Since my cabs are designed to be used in as many venues as you are booked to play in true FRFR does not really come into play with regard to my cabs. I just want them to sound like guitar cabs! :)

That is what I found as well when I tried the X7. Definitely has a guitar cab tone. Mick is definitely on to something.

I actually built one a couple years back. Had it tolexed like the newer Mesa gear...looks great.
Had it loaded with my JPM-1, Marshall 20/20 and TC GForce....and a V30. Sounded killer.
I keep getting the urge to pull it out of the Basement and throw some of Mick's speakers in there...hmmm.

Thanks BBN... Keep my posted if you decide to go that route!

I have pondered this... putting lids on the rack portion posed some hardware challenges that sadly I have not been able to find solutions to yet. That is why I have this design though.... you get the rack and the ability to break it all apart and slip it in the backseat of even the most compact cars... :)

As far as a drawer for the MFC.... Lemme think of the best way to put this... Check this thread over the next week or so or make sure you are subscribed.... there will be updates very shortly along this line... :)

Very cool idea locking the rack to the cab....solves the problem of "where do I put my rack", when trying to use a speaker tilted up like a monitor.

Nice looking finished product Mick!

Thanks BBN!

I have pondered this... putting lids on the rack portion posed some hardware challenges that sadly I have not been able to find solutions to yet. That is why I have this design though.... you get the rack and the ability to break it all apart and slip it in the backseat of even the most compact cars...

I personally think that having large "lids" for the entire face, rack and speaker, would be awesome. I guess this still poses a problem for the back since you only really need to access the rack. Have part of the back be removable with latches?

There is some company called rock something that builds a cabinet with a rack included.

I think you might be referring to Rackmount Concepts: http://rackmountconcepts.tripod.com/rmcpage.htm
I have always had problems with their website, and didn't get a very good vibe from the dude when I tried to ask some questions via email several years ago.

Great stuff Mick,
so excited to see the pics up here, and seriously excited to get this baby home :D

for anyone interested Mick is an exceptional dude, really knows his crafts and has a passion for it, and honestly its been a real pleasure working with him as builds my dream cab :D

How strong is the mechanical coupling between cab and rack? The reason I ask is concern about exposing the rack gear to the cab's vibration.

Back
Top Bottom