WT Acoustic IRs

Here's a clip I recorded demonstrating the Worship Tutorials free IR pack. I used my recently aquired PRS P22 guitar for the demo. The first tone is the stock piezo sound with reverb and a bit of EQ from the Axe-FX III. This is followed up by the Taylor 816 IR, the Martin D-35 IR, and finally the McPhearson IR.

I think these IR's do a great job of transforming a perfectly usable acoustic tone into something that actually sounds good. I'm kind of shocked that you can get acoustic tones this realistic from an electric guitar without a Roland GK pickup.

I think I liked the Martin the best then the Taylor. If you haven't tried it yet, put two of these in a cab block and blend them. I got some pretty good sounds that way. The sound difference is the whole reason I bought the Fishman Aura years ago. I think I have had that thing for a good 10 years or more. It transformed my electric piezo into something very usable.

The Martin is beautiful on its own, but I'm not sure how that fullness would work in a mix.
Guess it depends if it's just guitar and voice, say, vs a bigger band, whether there's drums and bass, etc.

@JasonE I did try blending the IRs with the cab block but the result was not great. The sound had a bit of a phasing issue happening. Even when I tried to align the IRs it didn't totally resolve what I was hearing.

I think I'm going to purchase the full Martin D-35 pack. It may be a bit too full in the low end, but I'm confident that I can EQ it to work nicely and I'd like to see what some of the other microphone options sound like.

@marsonic

Yes, you can load them into the cab block like any other IR. You can also use the tone match block if you don't need / want all of the mic preamp modeling and extra features of the cabinet block. The tone match block uses less CPU than the cab block.

I am using them in the cab block as well on my FM9. They work well there. I run the same effects that I run on an acoustic along with it, some EQ, Compressor and a light Chorus. I will at times use some reverb or delay on it as well but use a light setting on those.

Does it sounds good with single coil pickup or must use piezo? since dont have any piezo here.

Does it sounds good with single coil pickup or must use piezo? since dont have any piezo here.
These are meant to make a piezo pickup sound more like a microphone on an acoustic guitar. I doubt the results would be great with a single coil pickup, but there is no harm in trying since they offer a free sample pack.

Back
Top Bottom