Wrecker Jam & Tone

nota

Lately I find myself favoring a nice midrangey tone. I've always liked humbuckers over single coils, and a nice heavy tone while still keeping enough highs for a singing breakup. Amps that excite me are the AC-30 sort, not the Marshall/Matchless/Fender types - they sparkle like a teenage vampire. Ick.

Here's a patch I just made this week. The Wrecker sim combined with an EV-12L cab has a nice sound to it when the bass is EQ'd out a bit. Normally I like keeping cabs and amps matched, but the Wrecker can be paired with anything :)

I also like patches I can use for EVERYTHING... a nice clean all the way to searing gain. I'm too lazy to switch patches, need all those IA's for effects!

I made a short jam to showcase this patch. All guitars are using the same patch but with various coil tap/pickups used. The bass was made using the same patch with the pitch shifter. No post-processing of guitars.

The usual Nota disclaimers apply: All jamming is ad lib, not rehearsed, and done in just a few takes. I welcome comments on improving this sound!

http://theholtsite.com/mp3/WreckerJam.mp3

That's a beautifully expressive tone. Nice playing and great tone. My secret weapon on roots rock stuff (where everyone else is using Vox like tones) is the Trainwreck. Nicely done.

nota said:
Lately I find myself favoring a nice midrangey tone. I've always liked humbuckers over single coils, and a nice heavy tone while still keeping enough highs for a singing breakup. Amps that excite me are the AC-30 sort, not the Marshall/Matchless/Fender types - they sparkle like a teenage vampire. Ick.

Here's a patch I just made this week. The Wrecker sim combined with an EV-12L cab has a nice sound to it when the bass is EQ'd out a bit. Normally I like keeping cabs and amps matched, but the Wrecker can be paired with anything :)

I also like patches I can use for EVERYTHING... a nice clean all the way to searing gain. I'm too lazy to switch patches, need all those IA's for effects!

I made a short jam to showcase this patch. All guitars are using the same patch but with various coil tap/pickups used. The bass was made using the same patch with the pitch shifter. No post-processing of guitars.

The usual Nota disclaimers apply: All jamming is ad lib, not rehearsed, and done in just a few takes. I welcome comments on improving this sound!

http://theholtsite.com/mp3/WreckerJam.mp3

Nice, good to hear something that is a bit different than the usual. Reminds me of the Caroll-Ann amp sim.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Question: For those of you who use the Wrecker sim a lot, what cab do you use with it typically? The EV12L sim is really dark no matter what you use it with, so I'm not sure how much of the tone is from that or the Wrecker.

I use a custom Red Wire mix (surprised?).

The one I am using wouldn't be your 'normal' cab perhaps for this, but my Trainwreck type of tones are a bit more 'earthy' than the above example.

Celestion G12M V30 Ref Mix4
Marshall1960A-G12Ms-SM57-CapEdgeOffAxis-2in.wav,0.85
Uberkab-V30-TC30-CapEdge-0in.wav,0.05
BasketweaveG12M20s-TC30-Back-12in.wav,0.05
BasketweaveG12M20s-TC30-RoomL.wav,0.025
BasketweaveG12M20s-TC30-RoomR.wav,0.025

Just out of curiosity, why did you pay for Red Wirez cabs? Are they way better than the included ones?

And what do you mean "earthy"? I thought my sound was pretty earthy :D Do you mean "smooth"?

nota said:
Just out of curiosity, why did you pay for Red Wirez cabs? Are they way better than the included ones?

And what do you mean "earthy"? I thought my sound was pretty earthy :D Do you mean "smooth"?

I gain up my Trainwreck so it's more crunchy and rocky... I don't do 'smooth' very much here. :D I roll off the volume for a great chime, but aim for a more 'modern rock' sort of 'alternative' crunch. Search out Glen K on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc3Xi6aAG80

I think your Trainwreck tone is excellent and totally 'earthy' and 'organic'. I use that amp in a different way is all. It's part of what's fun about different amps in different guy's hands... we all get cool tones out of them; sometimes in widely different directions. It's something to celebrate IMHO.

The Red Wire IR's are just another way we can personalize our tones. Nothing more or less, just like you chose to use the EV cab; I sometimes prefer options beyond what is available from the stock cabs. The stock cabs and Red Wire are of the same professional quality; with the Red Wire impulses you can do anything you dream. I have a studio background and enjoy the added flexibility and options. That's one of the reasons Cliff opened up the user cab slots for us to use as we see fit.

Back
Top Bottom