Wow - it is badass - updated with better pix on 9/13/10

Re: Wow - it is badass

Thanks for the info. Any possibility of a picture of the psu so i can see the orientation of the pins?

I have a furman but all the outlets have the same orientation, if its going to need space below i will have a problem.

3 solutions i guess.

1) Extender cable and velcro the psu to the side of the rack (a bit tacky)
2) Find a different compatible psu that will fit in a 1U space straight out.
3) Fractal Audio source a psu for this scenario as i'm sure its going to come up a lot.

I prefer the 3rd option personally ;)

Mark

Marky said:
Thanks for the info. Any possibility of a picture of the psu so i can see the orientation of the pins?

I have a furman but all the outlets have the same orientation, if its going to need space below i will have a problem.

3 solutions i guess.

1) Extender cable and velcro the psu to the side of the rack (a bit tacky)
2) Find a different compatible psu that will fit in a 1U space straight out.
3) Fractal Audio source a psu for this scenario as i'm sure its going to come up a lot.

I prefer the 3rd option personally ;)

Mark

Mine is now covered with gaffer's tape holding it to the Furman for travel. First gig with it this morning (P&W).

Pic's would not be helpful. It's NOT a big power supply, it is small. Much smaller than my Rocktron one was (and I did the 'Option 1' with the Rocktron power supply for 3 years.

The PSU is 9VAC @ 1000mA.

Hi Scott, thanks for posting the pics...question: You're using the "5 preset" setup, correct? But I see you have "1" labeled "compressor" & "3" is "drive"? Aren't those for your 1-5 presets? Just curious how you have it set up?

wezx said:
Hi Scott, thanks for posting the pics...question: You're using the "5 preset" setup, correct? But I see you have "1" labeled "compressor" & "3" is "drive"? Aren't those for your 1-5 presets? Just curious how you have it set up?

Answer: yes. :D

I am using 5 preset banks, yes. When you click on "Reveal" (button on upper right) the bottom row of five buttons turns into IA switches, just like the others. Click reveal again, and it's back to presets.

It's brilliantly done and works very well.

I am tempted to re-approach how I've ALWAYS done midi controlled stuff (banks of 5), which is comfortable for my brain to process, for banks of 15 and use the reveal button more.

Ah, makes sense...thanks.

Yeah, I am thinking of using banks of 10 and the reveal button...with my 10 main patches up all the time I wouldn't need to bank up or down very much...

wezx said:

Yeah, I am thinking of using banks of 10 and the reveal button...with my 10 main patches up all the time I wouldn't need to bank up or down very much...

Same here. Really considering trying it. Nothing to lose.

Scott - how easy is it to send course midi changes? My all Access was set up this way, so presssing preset 1 accessed preset one in bank 3. As I have the Standard I used the "blank" presets to design my own and dont want to have to move them to bank one (presumably the MFC accesses bank one by default).

Also, I see the IAs have defaults, though these can be selected from a list. can you assign more than one FX Block to on switch? I have Rotory AND Tremolo assigned to a sigle switch, and also Phaser AND Flanger to another - as I never have both these FX available in a single patch.

Scott Peterson said:
wezx said:

Indeed. Because this involves much use of Reveal, I'd prefer the Reveal switch at bottom right, just easier.

Switching to 10 or 15 will Song Mode to 10 or 15 too if I understand correctly. Most people won't use 10 or 15 presets per song (I hope). That means wasted switches because you can't use the unoccupied switches for IA-duty, pity.

paulmapp8306 said:
Scott - how easy is it to send course midi changes? My all Access was set up this way, so presssing preset 1 accessed preset one in bank 3. As I have the Standard I used the "blank" presets to design my own and dont want to have to move them to bank one (presumably the MFC accesses bank one by default).

Also, I see the IAs have defaults, though these can be selected from a list. can you assign more than one FX Block to on switch? I have Rotory AND Tremolo assigned to a sigle switch, and also Phaser AND Flanger to another - as I never have both these FX available in a single patch.

You can map it any way you prefer. I believe you can assign more than one FX Block per switch (though I need to be checked on that).

yek said:
Scott Peterson said:
wezx said:

Indeed. Because this involves much use of Reveal, I'd prefer the Reveal switch at bottom right, just easier.

Switching to 10 or 15 will Song Mode to 10 or 15 too if I understand correctly. Most people won't use 10 or 15 presets per song (I hope). That means wasted switches because you can't use the unoccupied switches for IA-duty, pity.

Song mode quantity is limited by your 'preset bank' number. If you have it set up in '5 preset bank mode', you can only use 5 presets per 'song' (bank). For 15, you need to run the pedal in '15 preset mode'.

I know it's common midi terminology, but I prefer to call them "custom banks" instead of "songs". It just makes more sense to me.

Congrats, Scott. You deserve it. Enjoy the ride!

Hope mine comes soon under my foot :)

Gotti

Live from Church last week - we use IEM's through the Hearback you see there:

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

Looks amazing Scott.

I'd really like to encourage a small change to your setup though, if you don't mind.

Ditch the music stand! :mrgreen:

I'm kidding of course. I don't know how you guys do your sets/rehearsals/setups and whatnot. I just hate the stands myself and STRONGLY encourage everyone in our band to not use them. The keys/bass/Rhythm guitar still do but the Drummer only has them for tempo notes. Myself and the acoustic player go free from all restrictions!.. Not that we move around too much. I just hated feeling like music in front of myself was a crutch/removing my focus from memorizing and following.

All that said, looks great man. I'm planning on MFC, 2xEBjrs and a Mission for wah.

PlaysARobin said:
Looks amazing Scott.

I'd really like to encourage a small change to your setup though, if you don't mind.

I'm kidding of course. I don't know how you guys do your sets/rehearsals/setups and whatnot. I just hate the stands myself and STRONGLY encourage everyone in our band to not use them. The keys/bass/Rhythm guitar still do but the Drummer only has them for tempo notes. Myself and the acoustic player go free from all restrictions!.. Not that we move around too much. I just hated feeling like music in front of myself was a crutch/removing my focus from memorizing and following.

All that said, looks great man. I'm planning on MFC, 2xEBjrs and a Mission for wah.

I don't disagree and outside of Church, I do not advocate nor use one. Our playlist at Church numbers 135+, they are always adding songs, I play every week and I just don't have them all memorized. So, it is a crutch and though I agree with you totally... it is staying.

Scott Peterson said:
Live from Church last week - we use IEM's through the Hearback you see there:

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

Very nice. That MFC looks small on that big Pedaltrain. You need the expander. :lol:

Scott Peterson said:
PlaysARobin said:
Looks amazing Scott.

I don't disagree and outside of Church, I do not advocate nor use one. Our playlist at Church numbers 135+, they are always adding songs, I play every week and I just don't have them all memorized. So, it is a crutch and though I agree with you totally... it is staying.

Ha ha, a music stand is so NOT rock and roll :mrgreen: I understand it's different with things like P&W.

There's an alternative! Use a small laptop, put it in a black cardboard box (or flightcase). We've been doing this for years, and nobody notices! They think it's a monitor. The singer uses a wireless thumbbutton to scroll through the slides (lyrics, or chords).

For those stand-in gigs I now use my iPad, the display's even better.

PS The MFC is looking absolutely great, love its looks.

yek said:
Scott Peterson said:
PlaysARobin said:
Looks amazing Scott.

Ha ha, a music stand is so NOT rock and roll :mrgreen: I understand it's different with things like P&W.

There's an alternative! Use a small laptop, put it in a black cardboard box (or flightcase). We've been doing this for years, and nobody notices! They think it's a monitor. The singer uses a wireless thumbbutton to scroll through the slides (lyrics, or chords).

For those stand-in gigs I now use my iPad, the display's even better.

Trust me, I hear you.

At Church it simply isn't any issue; not to get into the religious aspects of it all, but the end thing is that it is not about me nor about image. But let's not go there! :D

For the record, I would love to use a Kindle or IPad instead, just like you note. I probably will someday. It's just not high up on the priority list right now.

WE have about 240 songs and whilst I know most of them there are a few we play so irregularly I have a little A4 clip on stand that connects to my mic stand, I have it low down (about thigh height) and use it for the odd sheet and my set list. It doesn't seem to get in the way.

It's also good for when we add new songs for the first few times.

Cheers

Scott Peterson said:
Same here. Our total playlist is over 400. Active within a year is normally around 200-250.
I just position the stand to the side of me rather than infront.
If I ditched the stand, where would my capo and extra picks be? LOL

I never have tallied our book to see what numbers we do. I'm sure it's around 100 range though. We're contemporary but some songs just seem to linger on past their expiration date. IMO that is and since I'm nothing more than the band leader that O doesn't account for much.

MFC does seem a little dwarfed by the pedaltrain. I may try and build a board similar in design but just big enough for what I want. You know though once it's finished I'll want something else and scott will chime in with a big smiley face and note he has plenty of room for expansion.

Back
Top Bottom