WOW! I just found the BEST headphones for the money!

I love open cans in general (and they are safer for the ears than sealed ones, let alone the ubiquitous and truly odious ear buds), but I wish they also made a sealed model - not just for tracking in loud situations, but for the subway! I looked on their website, but I don't see any - probably because they are a hi-fi company, not a pro audio company. Or maybe because it's 7am and I haven't had my coffee yet...

I had the SR60 for years. I lost them :( Best bang for the buck are the SR60 and SR80 no doubt. I am not at all knocking them. I have always been a Grado fan. I do though think Grados are well known for their mids and vibrant highs. That is what I consider the "Grado" sound. It is why I love them. While I find my Senns to be a little more "flat" it's all relative and once you are used to whatever you are using you will know how to translate them to patches.

I met John on a plane. He obviously noticed I was wearing a pair. Nice man!

I gotta listen more. I don't find any excessive midrange honk - I hate that, in cans and esp in cheap 'punchy' monitors, and I think I am sensitive to it. But you've piqued my curiosity. I know they 'play well' with my Genelecs - both in terms of overall tonal balance (or at least as I perceive it), and also in how they give me a lot of detail and image - but are the highs hyped? Hmmm. Possibly. Possibly on the Gennies, too, though my mixes have never sounded dull to me on other systems. I wonder if they've got EQ curves on their website, and how those would compare to the Senns.

Lucky you to share a plane ride with JG - seems like a maverick, and an all-around interesting dude.

II wonder if they've got EQ curves on their website, and how those would compare to the Senns.

You can find frequency graphs of various headphones here: Learning Center - Build a Headphone Graph | HeadRoom Audio

Senns (at least the upper, pricier models) do tend to be flatter than Grados. In comparison, most Grados do tend to have more of a hyped high end. Some Senn models actually have a bit of a recessed high end.

With my Grados, I compensate by turning down 8k in the Global EQ a bit. Works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom