Wow.... 4k bump in amp graphic eq is the shit!

Yep! I usually work with this frequency in my amp setting and in my stereo hifi. If I want a sweet and more easy listening sound for a song I lower it.

I do something similar to this already. Between the amp and cab block I've got a PEQ block that basically boosts 120 Hz and 4 kHz and cuts 300 Hz and 1.2 kHz. Very much inspired by Flemming Rasmussen's studio notes for Metallica's Master of Puppets and And Justice For All. I got the idea after studying some Metallica preset in the AxeChange and tailored it to my ears. Now it goes in nearly all of my non-clean presets.

The GEQ in the amp block is really powerful though. Even values smaller than 1 dB can make a huge difference.

4kHz area gets reduced 90% of the time, for me (usually looking to take a node). Depending on the mix, it could be up to a 6dB reduction (with a very high Q of 6 or more).

I also usually do a 1dB reduction around 4.3kHz with a wider Q of 1.5 (there's something about the Axe-Fx that benefits from this particular move).

I do something similar to this already. Between the amp and cab block I've got a PEQ block that basically boosts 120 Hz and 4 kHz and cuts 300 Hz and 1.2 kHz. Very much inspired by Flemming Rasmussen's studio notes for Metallica's Master of Puppets and And Justice For All. I got the idea after studying some Metallica preset in the AxeChange and tailored it to my ears. Now it goes in nearly all of my non-clean presets.

The GEQ in the amp block is really powerful though. Even values smaller than 1 dB can make a huge difference.

250-300 I have to cut on pretty much every preset, it's just mud, pure horrible cardboard/mud that clogs up the sound. 4Khz I've not tried but I like plenty of sizzle and bite so that might do that.

Don't forget there are a LOT of multitracks going on on MoP, which gets that trademark phasey sound on MoP and AJFA.

I normally cut the hell out of 4k. I find 4k is where the distortion gets a bit piercing. Cutting out 4k makes things a bit duller, but a fair bit smoother. I normally compensate the 4k cut by giving a tweak to 8k.

Boosting 4k in the amp blocks GEQ can definitely help add high end and definition if your pickups lean dark and/or muddy.

Try the pre- and post-preamp locations for the GEQ as well. The sonic difference is palpable for a big bump like this depending on the EQ location.

I normally cut the hell out of 4k. I find 4k is where the distortion gets a bit piercing. Cutting out 4k makes things a bit duller, but a fair bit smoother. I normally compensate the 4k cut by giving a tweak to 8k.
Same here. I'll normally use a high-shelf boost at 8kHz and I ain't afraid to crank that sucker! (Sometimes as much as 10dB)

*Disclaimer* I use the high cut filter in the Cab block, set at 8kHz and 12dB slope.

Last edited:
Hmmm.. I'd suggest that the crossover point of some of our (smaller) monitors is around 3 or 4 k - perhaps that has a bearing on the differences encountered and points to why each of us has differing preferences.
Thanks
Pauly

Remember the pre-post tips:
Boost those mids pre-gain, and consider rolling off the lows and highs.
Then cut the problem areas (300Hz is popular) and boost the lows and highs post-gain.

4 kHz is of course the main frequency (followed by 3 kHz) that folks with noise induced hearing loss tend to lose, its commonly referred to on an audiogram as a "noise notch" because its just that, a notch in otherwise normal sensitivty across the frequency range. As some folks age, the high frequencies tend to decline as well, and when your 6 and 8 kHz + start to dip down enough, the "notch" becomes more of a slope, making it hard to tell noise exposure from things like presbycusis, aka age related hearing loss, but when I see guys in their 20's and 30's, who are musicians, active or past military, factory workers etc, and that don't use hearing protecting, 3 and 4 kHz are always declined.

Point being that if you find your raising the EQ a considerable bit in those frequencies and its sounding subjectively "good", you may just be compensating for your own hearing loss and limited audibility in that range, and others with normal hearing sensitivity probably think it sounds very harsh

Point being that if you find your raising the EQ a considerable bit in those frequencies and its sounding subjectively "good", you may just be compensating for your own hearing loss and limited audibility in that range, and others with normal hearing sensitivity probably think it sounds very harsh

I can't speak for others, but that's definitely not the case for me. I regularly compare samples of my guitar tracks with recordings I like using a spectrum analyzer and have noticed the 3k - 5k region isn't as prominent in my tracks.

Back
Top Bottom