Would you trade...?

My buddy has a basically unplayed 2018 Fender American Elite Stratocaster HSS with OHSC. It's got the Shawbucker and Noiseless single coils.

I've got a 2016 PRS CE-24 with PRS gig bag that I rarely play. It's just not my thing...

I'm debating a trade... Obviously I would want to play it first since I no experience with that guitar.

Curious what you guys think?
Since you and I have similar tastes in guitars (Ibanez, PRS, etc.), I’m going to go with my gut and say that if you can live without the CE-24 and you’ve never really spent a lot of time with a Strat, definitely give it a try.

Noiseless pickups get a lot of shit but, in my experience, sixty cycle hum is enough to make someone new to a Strat turn around and sell it within months. The Fender American Elite will feel and operate closer to what you’re already used to while giving you the vibe.

Last edited:
My buddy has a basically unplayed 2018 Fender American Elite Stratocaster HSS with OHSC. It's got the Shawbucker and Noiseless single coils.

I've got a 2016 PRS CE-24 with PRS gig bag that I rarely play. It's just not my thing...

I'm debating a trade... Obviously I would want to play it first since I no experience with that guitar.

Curious what you guys think?
Just doing cursory research, the trade values are in the same neighborhood. That should make your decision easier especially if you have the chance to test drive it. If you feel a connection, then absolutely make the trade, if not, then probably not else you're back in the same boat.

I've never actually owned a Strat or spent much time playing them... I am usually an HSS guy but I have been contemplating an SSS for a while since I don't have one... Although this is not that, either :)
It's pretty easy to drop in a SSS pick guard with the single coil pups of your choice. I'm a big fan of the pre-assembled and wired loaded pick guards from 920D Customs. I have several of them in my MIM Strats. (It's my quick way to turn a used $300 MexiStrat into a great gigging guitar.)

It's pretty easy to drop in a SSS pick guard with the single coil pups of your choice. I'm a big fan of the pre-assembled and wired loaded pick guards from 920D Customs. I have several of them in my MIM Strats. (It's my quick way to turn a used $300 MexiStrat into a great gigging guitar.)
Thanks for sharing that website I have a mim strat and have thought about changing the pickups I’m going to dive into this Thanks what pickups did you use on your Strat?

Thanks... That's an option I had not really thought about.

I previously purchased a pre-wired Tele control plate from 920D - quality work!

Thanks for sharing that website I have a mim strat and have thought about changing the pickups I’m going to dive into this Thanks what pickups did you use on your Strat?
Hmm...I just checked their site and it looks like they're only using their own pickups these days. In the past they used pups by various manufacturers. I have one pick guard that's a combination of Seymour Duncan and Fender Custom Shop pickups (one they used to sell as a David Gilmour set). I have those on my black Strat, naturally. :) I also have one or two with Fender Custom Texas Specials, and one with Lace Sensors (Gold, I think...I didn't really gel with that one). I think I might have one more too, but can't recall what's in it.

I can't speak for the 920D branded pickups, but when I bought my loaded pick guards with name brand components, they were priced just a few dollars more than the retail cost of the pickups themselves, and their wiring jobs are all solid and very well done.

Hmm...I just checked their site and it looks like they're only using their own pickups these days. In the past they used pups by various manufacturers. I have one pick guard that's a combination of Seymour Duncan and Fender Custom Shop pickups (one they used to sell as a David Gilmour set). I have those on my black Strat, naturally. :) I also have one or two with Fender Custom Texas Specials, and one with Lace Sensors (Gold, I think...I didn't really gel with that one). I think I might have one more too, but can't recall what's in it.

I can't speak for the 920D branded pickups, but when I bought my loaded pick guards with name brand components, they were priced just a few dollars more than the retail cost of the pickups themselves, and their wiring jobs are all solid and very well done.
Hi TG3K
Thanks for the info I had not seen that site before and thought it was very cool to be able to buy a loaded pick guard. I was looking at the Texas pickups. Also like 60s reissue and a 50s pick up’s.

I love that they sell the loaded guard’s man that’s so cool to basically plug and play and thanks for the info on the 920d much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom