Would You Recommend the Axe-FX II to someone like me?

DakenSG

Hey all,

Just registered with the forum now, but have been watching for about a year now. I've been saving up money for about a year now for a good multi-FX processor, and when I first found the Axe FX II it seemed like it may be the technically ideal product for my needs/desires. I'm a bit picky, so I would appreciate the advice from some product owners as to whether or not this would be the right investment for me. Apologies if this should be in the "lounge" part of the forum; I wasn't sure.

I have a couple years experience playing for a young church back home, and I also worked as a live sound engineer for a couple years as well. I moved away from home 2.5 years ago for a new job and have been playing just as a hobbyist since, and volunteering as an audio/lighting guy only at my current church. Back when I played more regularly I didn't have many effects in my rig; I've been holding out for some unknown product that will have a lot of versatility and meticulous customization in effect choices, but with a quality of sound on par with pro audio equipment. I've also had a longtime ambition to make my rig completely headphone-compatible, which in turn would create ease with plugging my guitar directly into the board (in stereo) if I were to start playing for church again.

I've heard some very good samples on YouTube and on the snippets posted here. However, a lot of the recordings haven't been of musical styles I would most closely try to emulate. A lot of what I see on here is mostly (though not completely) heavy lead guitar work, and I'd say that I'm more of a rhythm player with the desire to play more effects-laden work. Good examples of what I enjoy are:
-The Who (Pete's "Live at Leeds" tone especially)
-John Mark McMillan (listen to "Carbon Ribs" on Youtube for some neat ambient and effects-laden sounds)
-Angels And Airwaves (opening riff of "Do It For Me Now")

Since the Axe FX II seems to have both amp modeling and also effects, it seems like the most suiting product for my wants/needs from a technical aspect. I will also say that not every sample I've listened to has made me fall in love, but that could be just other player's personal preferences or styles of music. My TC Electronics 2290 has left me very satisfied with it's nearly endless amount of delay options, but seeking out products of similar technicality for headphone-compatibility, distortion/overdrive, chorus/flanging, compression, modulation, etc would cost a fortune in both money and time. I've only got the one amp (Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, re-tubed to taste), but I'd like to open the doors to playing my guitar in stereo and more especially have a good tonal palette available via headphones/direct-to-board.

Any thoughts on whether the Axe FX II is a good fit for a mostly rhythm/effects player like me? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

What you are discussing is available from the unit for sure; with room to explore and use what you want.

Because it is so flexible and versatile, you are not 'stuck' with any given rig to work it into; you can use it in a variety of ways... whatever you see fit to do with it.

Your research is well founded. The Axe *is* what you are looking for, with enough additional options and flavors, you can consider it a partner for many rewarding years.

Nah man. I am going to go against the grain here and say if you aren't playing metal and worshipping Satan, I'm pretty sure you're better off with let's say a Line 6 Pod or something...

LOL!

Seriously man - you will love the Axe-fx II and should go for it. It excels at rhythm tones and you can lay the effects on so thick it will crush your soul. No lie. Get yourself one and never look back. It's a lot to learn at first, but you'll get it eventually and your understanding of sound in general will improve dramatically. GOOD LUCK!

The axe gets truly realistic amp tones - from clean, to light break up, to over the top distortion, and everything in between. This unit accurately replicates the amps that are modeled; at least the ones I am familiar with and not only that, it truly feels great to play. This thing truly is a tube amp killer and the effects are simply state of the art.

The only tricky thing is that it does matter what speaker system you are playing through, especially if you decide to go frfr. Do not spend 2k + on the axe and then skimp on the speaker system. For frfr, I`m using a qsc kw112 and I am quite happy (I believe Dweezil Zappa does too). There are a number of suitable systems to choose from.

It sounds like the Axe FX II is exactly what you need. Realize, of course, that you are talking mostly to folks who already have and love this product. There are naysayers. Check other sites and consider your opportunities. There is a community here that will help you get the most out of this product. Yek, Scott and even Cliff himself have helped me out when I've had "Can I" moments and also when I've had smelly brain farts and done stupid things. Highly recommended product if you ask me!

Im mostly a bedroom guitarist now but have waited my whole 30 years playing for the axe fx.
one size fits all, the latest in hardware, software and menswear,
its ronseal - does exactly wot it says on the tin, which is pretty much everything
not cheap, but neither is a collection of all the hardware that it models very, very well
the only thing missing for me is the talent boost mode

Simply the finest piece of musical gear I have purchased in over 45 years of playing music. Great effects, great amp models and you can build amps in the box that haven't been built in the real world...or at least wouldn't survive very long.

The versatility is its strongest attribute. From studio to in-ears to full rig gigs this thing does it all.

The AxeFX II is really the "have your cake and eat it" solution. It's expensive, but when you compare it to cheaper modelers it becomes readily apparent what the extra cash gets you.

The AxeFX II can do any style any genre, from warm jazz to screaming metal to vintage vibe just on the edge of breakup (the latter was a bit elusive for the Gen 1 AxeFX).

I'd recommend the Axe to anyone who plays electric guitar and is concerned about how they sound, period.

If all you're used to is a TC2290 digital delay, you're in for a treat!

If you are serious about playing guitar, can afford the price tag and want the benefits of the best effects and modeled amp tones available stuffed into a 2U rack space......there is no other choice.
Nothing else compares.

Just be careful, once you buy it, you live in an AXE world. No return. Be sure you have plenty of time...

Last edited:
The Axe is perfect for what you describe.

If you wish you can still use your 2290 in the efx loop of the Axe.
I can totally be satisfied with the delays in the Axe (which btw has an TC 2290 delay type), but the only thing from my former big rack that I still use with my Axe is the 2290, as that to me anyway is the king of delays.

the axe fx to a guitar player is what 'The good Terminator is to John Connor (as a child) when he said: "come with me if you want to live"

just google "axe-fx ambient" and you'll find some amazing examples of the axe-fx capabilities in that arena. I think it's perfect for what you're looking to do.

Back
Top Bottom