Would you really ditch your tube amp for an FRFR monitor?

At this point, no. I'm realizing that I don't have the patience for this. I guess I was hoping that the evolution of modeling would have moved to a place where I could just plug in and go. Don't get me wrong, as I've said in another thread, this Fractal stuff is amazing...the detail is unbelievable. And I think that is where I don't have the discipline to get to a place and leave it alone. I fear I'll never enjoy playing guitar...because I'm always tweaking software. It doesn't help that our sound man pulled me aside without prompt last weekend and said "Do you know that you're maybe one of 3 guitarists in town that I'll never tell to turn down? Your rig always sounds great and fits in the mix. A lot of great players don't have that." At that moment I mentioned that I was experimenting with modeling...his response was "please don't." Truth told, I've been using this rig for several years now and between cab choice and power scaling, it can be pretty dang quiet on stage and still sound great...so I dunno. I guess I've got some thinking to do. It's not like I'm abandoning FAS...I really dig my FX8!
your sound man obviously hasn't dealt with something like the Axe before.

its only a rabbit hole if you let it be....set it til it sounds good and forget it, no deep tweaking required.

Will I really ditch my tube amp for an FRFR monitor?
Never say never but I'll just say it anyhow: NEVER.
I've got a Mesa Triple Recto with oversized Recto 4x12. In some occassions it is very nice to have only one amp, a guitar with only a cable in between and just rock on. Lots of OEMPFF, bleeding ears, erect c*ck and a big smile, good things in life can come very, very easy.

Been using an Axefx for festivals and fly dates for a couple of years now. Straight to PA and monitors with no backline (although the Axefx flight case is normally propped on top of a dummy 4x12 or two, the cabs are never on and are for show as it looks a little odd having nothing but a 2u shock mount flight case). Over the last 20 odd years I have realised you only hear your backline well at certain points on the stage and rely on the monitors and sidefills anyway.I have got used to doing it this way very quickly. I suppose it's the same as in ears without the isolation.
I bought the Ax8 to hopefully cut down on more weight for fly dates (Axefx and MFC 101 each in a flight case). I normally only take one guitar and rely on the promoter to bring a second. By shedding one flightcase, I can hopefully take another guitar now.
At home in my studio live room I have been using my AX8 into a pair of Turbosound IQ15 and a pair of of IQ18B subs. If I ever felt the need to have a backline again, I think I would just spec a single IQ15 or similar onstage.
swedenrock 2.jpg
swedenrock 3.jpg

brothers, I feel better now. Thanks for this.
From all your comments I take it that there is enough educated opinion to go further down the modeler route and get rid of some of my tube amps.

My amps - all combos - include A Portcity12, a Swart AST, an old ampeg jet 12, a Redplate 40 Watt and a small Redplate 12 Watt. I will sell them except my Redplates. From time to time I may feel the urge to have a guitar - a cable - an amp, ant thats it. We will see. I do not have enough space and money to hold on to things I do not use. Also, some days ago one of my really well built Redplates did not react after a short loud crackle - fuse gone, power tube gone. I hope the AX8 is really reliable. So, one or two tube amps + the AX8 and a FRFR monitor in the future.

Then I sat down with the AX8 and my acoustic amp (ACUS, Shertler type, way more flat EQ than an AER and less boxy I would say) and gave it another session - the first was only like one hour, but this time I had a whole day with them. I started with the factory presets, Amp and Cab switched on in the global menu, only used the knobs on the front panel and sometimes a GEQ block in front of the amp, plus the VU level adjustment in GLOBAL. I went through the presets and realised in no time which ones could be tweaked to my desire by fiddling with drive, level, mids and treble. When I found it worth investing more time I fiddled a little more and saved it - at the end I had saved clean, slightly crunchy and low OD presets - 10 each. I will rule out half of them tonight, then choose matching triples or fourths - clean/gritty/crunch/lead. I would like to end up with maybe three amp types with four (clean to OD) settings each, so I can choose between, say, a fendery set or a boutique/Carol Ann set or a Friedman like set. Three main flavours so to speak, and choose only one for a gig to make things easier for the soundman.

While tweaking I found some pretty nice results with my ACUS acoustic amp (6" broadband speaker) that sounded way bettter than on my first try. They were not yet quite up to par with my best tube amps (Yep, got it, FRFR is something different also). But as someone said here I should not judge the AX8 with not so ideal monitors. I expect another big jump from my ACUS to the Matrix FR10 which I hope will arrive in March or April. All this and your helpful comments convinced me I am on the right track with FRFR monitors vs. tube amp.

I realised also, making presets and finding your tone sets with the AX8 is a lot of work, kind of adventurous, discipline is needed not to get lost, a method also to keep your eyes on the goal you want to achieve. Way more than with my former classic stompers approach. But as it stands now I am pretty excited about the options of amp flavours I have at my hands now, something which covers my needs for electric and acoustic guitars - and less maintenance work for my tube combos (tube exchange, biasing, tube rattling, anyone?).

Sorry for this long winding post. I could have kept it shorter by saying that my wife came in the room where I did the tweaking. She said: Damn, that sounds really good! - Who am I to disagree?

Last edited:
I have gone through quite a few of the factory presets a few times, and I must admit that somehow, most of them does not really sit well with me. I do not know, if it is my guitars, my fingers or my ears. I have had much more success starting with a blank preset, an amp block and a cab block. The cab block makes a huge difference. I have a few cabs, I know I like, and I test most amps with these.

I have also had great luck with a few of the factory presets, but if I just 'go through' them, I get tired quickly by all the ones that I do not really like.

brothers, I feel better now. Thanks for this.
From all your comments I take it that there is enough educated opinion to go further down the modeler route and get rid of some of my tube amps.

My amps - all combos - include A Portcity12, a Swart AST, an old ampeg jet 12, a Redplate 40 Watt and a small Redplate 12 Watt. I will sell them except my Redplates. From time to time I may feel the urge to have a guitar - a cable - an amp, ant thats it. We will see. I do not have enough space and money to hold on to things I do not use. Also, some days ago one of my really well built Redplates did not react after a short loud crackle - fuse gone, power tube gone. I hope the AX8 is really reliable. So, one or two tube amps + the AX8 and a FRFR monitor in the future.

Then I sat down with the AX8 and my acoustic amp (ACUS, Shertler type, way more flat EQ than an AER and less boxy I would say) and gave it another session - the first was only like one hour, but this time I had a whole day with them. I started with the factory presets, Amp and Cab switched on in the global menu, only used the knobs on the front panel and sometimes a GEQ block in front of the amp, plus the VU level adjustment in GLOBAL. I went through the presets and realised in no time which ones could be tweaked to my desire by fiddling with drive, level, mids and treble. When I found it worth investing more time I fiddled a little more and saved it - at the end I had saved clean, slightly crunchy and low OD presets - 10 each. I will rule out half of them tonight, then choose matching triples or fourths - clean/gritty/crunch/lead. I would like to end up with maybe three amp types with four (clean to OD) settings each, so I can choose between, say, a fendery set or a boutique/Carol Ann set or a Friedman like set. Three main flavours so to speak, and choose only one for a gig to make things easier for the soundman.

While tweaking I found some pretty nice results with my ACUS acoustic amp (6" broadband speaker) that sounded way bettter than on my first try. They were not yet quite up to par with my best tube amps (Yep, got it, FRFR is something different also). But as someone said here I should not judge the AX8 with not so ideal monitors. I expect another big jump from my ACUS to the Matrix FR10 which I hope will arrive in March or April. All this and your helpful comments convinced me I am on the right track with FRFR monitors vs. tube amp.

I realised also, making presets and finding your tone sets with the AX8 is a lot of work, kind of adventurous, discipline is needed not to get lost, a method also to keep your eyes on the goal you want to achieve. Way more than with my former classic stompers approach. But as it stands now I am pretty excited about the options of amp flavours I have at my hands now, something which covers my needs for electric and acoustic guitars - and less maintenance work for my tube combos (tube exchange, biasing, tube rattling, anyone?).

Sorry for this long winding post. I could have kept it shorter by saying that my wife came in the room where I did the tweaking. She said: Damn, that sounds really good! - Who am I to disagree?

If you just stick to the amps similar to what you are already coming from, you will stop yourself from being overwhelmed with all the amps on offer. I usually go in there and pick an amp I already own or have owned and start tweaking from there. Same with cabs. I always start with a blank canvas too.
Yes, you need to amplify the AX8 and AxeFX right to fully get the best out of it. That would be the same for a valve head though. You would not be impressed with an old vintage Marshall played through a PA speaker rather than the 4x12 it was voiced for.
This AX8 a great little tool. Just chip away and add one thing at a time and you will be very happy.
Good luck :)

The cab block makes a huge difference. I have a few cabs, I know I like, and I test most amps with these.

I realised that when I made up presets for my acoustic guitar. Comp- EQ - Amp - Ca - Reverb. EQ and Reverb switched off, Amp = a "tube preamp". I went quickly through all the Ultra Res factory cabs and listened carefully to sound coloration, string separation, balance of high and low strings etc, tested feedback - boy, what a difference! But I was able to find a few suitable cabs - seven or eight amongst, say, 120 Ultra Res?

If you just stick to the amps similar to what you are already coming from, you will stop yourself from being overwhelmed with all the amps on offer. I usually go in there and pick an amp I already own or have owned and start tweaking from there. Same with cabs. I always start with a blank canvas too.
Yes, you need to amplify the AX8 and AxeFX right to fully get the best out of it. That would be the same for a valve head though. You would not be impressed with an old vintage Marshall played through a PA speaker rather than the 4x12 it was voiced for.
This AX8 a great little tool. Just chip away and add one thing at a time and you will be very happy.
Good luck :)
Thanks! I try to follow this advice. I realised again I am an old Fender guy (my first was a Super twin in the mid 70s), liked also the boutique stuff and the Friedmanns. Marshal is not for me I am afraid. Since playing withthe AX8 I am asking myself if I could have been a Vox guy too. Back those days an AC30 was moneywise out of the question...
maybe your words sum it all up: Add one thing at a time and you will be very happy.

Thank you. Its a wonderful little unit. I have a live room full of lovely old valve amps but since getting the AxeFX a couple of years back, they are getting very little use.
I am doing a new album with my band from the 80's and have used the AxeFX for all the guitar sounds except a couple of clean overdubs with a custom Rockman X100 that were layered on top of some AxeFX Ac30 sounds.I have used a Boogie Mk series for the rhythms and solos and the AC30 for the cleans. Both these amps are sat in my studio but it is so much easier to just bring the preset back up on the AxeFX and start recording
Since getting it a few weeks back, the Ax8 is my favourite new item in my studio. :)

There are a multitude of different ir's and eq options available to make any monitor sound good IMHO. You must realize that your sound ends up pumped through the pa, and this can be anything. Sound guy is going to do his thing regardless to make your sound fit. I have great success with my K12 some hate them, must be CLR (insert flavor of the month) or nothing blah blah. Use your ears, if it's too much high end, cut it out ( I use the cab block to do my low and high cuts). Sometimes I do low cuts in the amp block to get rid of flub. IMHO YMMV.

There are a multitude of different ir's and eq options available to make any monitor sound good IMHO. You must realize that your sound ends up pumped through the pa, and this can be anything. Sound guy is going to do his thing regardless to make your sound fit. I have great success with my K12 some hate them, must be CLR (insert flavor of the month) or nothing blah blah. Use your ears, if it's too much high end, cut it out ( I use the cab block to do my low and high cuts). Sometimes I do low cuts in the amp block to get rid of flub. IMHO YMMV.
flavor of the month? more like the flavor of since they came out....

Reactions: sam
I'm not there on frfr yet, but after a few hours with the matrix gt1000 into a guitar cab, I'm ready to ditch my tube amp for that setup. What I've learned so far is this. Just using preamp sims into my tube amp fx return... Only a handful of the amp models sounded good to me. Likely the ones that are not too dependent on the power section for tone. Now that I'm using power amp sims, it's more like 1/2 of the amp models sound good.. No great. I'm assuming if I ever get frfr figured out, then the rest of them will sound good as well. But 1/2 of the models is plenty for now so I'm pretty happy at the moment.

Reactions: sam
Please name ten speakers that have dethroned the CLR since it came out.....I'll wait

Over there years, there have been many flavor of the months, this is sure to continue. I didn't say 10 have come out after CLR, I was meaning before, yes there has been a bunch. there will always be better, go up in price, and you'll stomp the clr. Why stop at it's price?

you must have a clr right? A good player can make anything sound good.

Back
Top Bottom