Would you ever go direct to PA with out a sound guy?

if your playing area is to small to have some one run the board, and you have an acoustic drum set in there you will not get a good mix at a volume you can stand to listen to any ways. I would do as @Nero suggested, set up the pa at practice and set base levels. send the bass direct, and monitor your rig through the vocal monitors. try to leave the monitor mixes close to what front of house is getting so you will have some idea of the mix, except for the drums. Unless you talk the drummer into E drums. then the monitor mix can be real close to what front of house will here.

Thanks - good stuff, but there is no way ANY drummer would attempt most of the Police/Sting stuff we do on edrums. :) I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy. ;)

Thanks all - yes I do need to spend some time playing through the PA - I currently don't run though it at all - just use the Friedman as my cab. We have three vocals and keys going to the PA. I do have the channels avail, just haven't spent the time to get the guitar in there. It isn't a great system so not sure how things will be at the end of the day, but willing to give it a shot.

I prefer to run all voices and instruments (kick and snare at least) to the PA. The reason is a bit consistent sound (everything is located from PA) . As a second you can change all from your desk (if not the 100W AB Marshall at full volume on the stage:) )

Doesn't work in small venues with an acoustic drum set and a rock band (only my personal experience)
That would depend on the power of your monitor, although I wouldn't take the route to beat them with POWAAAAAAAAH!
It seems the band needs to limit the stage volume so you can do with a regular monitor.
For small venues we use a triggered drum set or an electronic one, and we carry no amps or cabinets, so monitor levels are very contained.

In the end, you either solve the problem or you don't. If your band mates have to make changes for your mutual benefit, work on it.

Is the cable long enough to get out and hear FOH?
Does bass and keys run to FOH?

Yes - cable plenty long in most places. Bass has amp, keys is to PA and a small dedicated monitor she uses for monitoring.

We are slowly piecing together a better PA, but for now things are working ok. And like most of you understand, drummer tends to have volume issues - or wears earplugs and claims he can't hear himself over the band. It can be odd for sure. Somehow it works out at the end of the gig and places like us and we keep getting booked, so that is nice.

Thanks for all the advice...I appreciate you all on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom